Coins vertical in the ground

MurdochBaines

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I recently dug a few good coins and the proceeded to re-bury them vertically in the soil. It seems like all my good signals result from a coin laying flat in the hole. Upon redetecting the signal vanishes. Even a 45degree slant produces a less-than-desirable signal. Is it possible that we are only finding coins oriented horizontally? Think about it...

I have a Vaq, a Compadre and an F2 and have found many coins on edge.
Recently I found a 1978 Ike dollar that was standing straight up in the sidewall because I missed it digging my plug.
I never seemed to have a problem with vertical coins, but then again, how would I know if I missed them if I never picked them up in the first place?

I know that some detectors have a lot of trouble "seeing" on-edge coins. I also know my E-Trac has no trouble seeing them because most of the silvers I find in hard worked parks are on-edge.

The issue may be trying to get a good signal from your freshly buried targets more than the position of the coin itself.

99% Of the silvers I find are on edge or otherwise obscured because the easy ones are looooong gone sports fans!! :lol:

yeah this is because the radio waves are hitting a much smaller apparent object if on it's edge. There are other properties involved like the inductance and capacitance of the coin, but we only need to know that that much less of the target is getting hit by the waves when on edge.

Coins On Edge

Is it possible that we are only finding coins oriented horizontally? Think about it...

Yes depending on the detector used. My E-trac finds coins on edge behind Whites machines sometimes. I think it is just one factor, compound it with a nail, more depth, and bad soil and it gets harder to detect.

I can't say how good the Ace250 is at finding coins on edge, because if I'm missing them, I wouldn't know :laughing: In any event, I have found some so the Ace250 can do it.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I recently dug a few good coins and the proceeded to re-bury them vertically in the soil. It seems like all my good signals result from a coin laying flat in the hole. Upon redetecting the signal vanishes. Even a 45degree slant produces a less-than-desirable signal. Is it possible that we are only finding coins oriented horizontally? Think about it...

I have a Vaq, a Compadre and an F2 and have found many coins on edge.
Recently I found a 1978 Ike dollar that was standing straight up in the sidewall because I missed it digging my plug.
I never seemed to have a problem with vertical coins, but then again, how would I know if I missed them if I never picked them up in the first place?

Coins on edge will not produce the expected VDI (TID) for that type of coin. This is because the Eddy current field that the detector detects and processes into a VDI reading is different in magnitude and orientation than a flatcoin produces.

You will oftentimes also experience that the pinpointing with the detector will be off.

People that use detectors without an LCD display, go purely by sound and they will more often dig these on-edge coins, whereas a user with a detector that produce a TID will not dig it because the TID is off.

Coins on edge will not produce the expected VDI (TID) for that type of coin. This is because the Eddy current field that the detector detects and processes into a VDI reading is different in magnitude and orientation than a flatcoin produces.

You will oftentimes also experience that the pinpointing with the detector will be off.

People that use detectors without an LCD display, go purely by sound and they will more often dig these on-edge coins, whereas a user with a detector that produce a TID will not dig it because the TID is off.

Well spoken:goodpost:

The point that should be taken from your post, is that they need to not use the TID as anything more than additional info to go along with what they hear. Audio always comes first!

At most of my favorite "hunted out" spots I never find much, but I always find something, usually on edge.

The point that should be taken from your post, is that they need to not use the TID as anything more than additional info to go along with what they hear. Audio always comes first!

At most of my favorite "hunted out" spots I never find much, but I always find something, usually on edge.

Absolutely! The audio should always be your first and most important input.

There is an old post of mine that goes into more audio details..... Found it!
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14711

I've gotten a couple on-edge coins during live digs in my videos. The e-trac numbers are always way to low but the sound made we think it was "solid" enough to dig. I usually end up saying something like "wow, I did not expect that to be a coin!"

Back
Top Bottom