Found Gold this Morning!!

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
I saw half of it sticking out of the ground ran my Xterra 705 and no signal?
??? Had to run sensitivity almost all the way up to pick it up! I wonder how many of these I walk over every time i'm out there?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 551
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 490
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 572
Just thinking out loud, but since I believe detectors work by sensing interruptions in the magnetic field in the form of "eddy currents" and with gold being one of the best conductors, could that be why your gold didn't register? Too thin to interrupt the field compounded by its ability to pass electricity with minimal loss? Plus 14k purer than 10k. Leads me to believe it's solid gold too and not gold filled, plated, or electro-plated.

Good eyeballing! You say the detector didn't pick it up, how many inches above it did you run the coil over? Don't take offense, but it is pretty thin and if you were right on top of it using discrimination (iron, foil) I don't think it would have picked it up. I've gone right overtop thin foil before and nothing hit till I came up off it a little especially if the sensitivity is way up looking for depth. Great find though!

Also keep in mind, the different frequencies of detectors. Some absolutely hammer gold while a different detector might hammer silver. Mine loves nickels, so I know gold is just below that.

I swing a sovereign GT and an Excalibur II and neither of them will see a thin gold chain. But if there is a pendant on the chain they both tell me about it.

I ran the coil about an inch above on all metals. I've heard that the Compadre detector would the one to get that will pick up those small chains. What do you suggest?

Using Prospector mode on the 705 with the HF Elliptical will get you a good signal on that chain, I like to use it on beach volleyball courts .
I've also gotten a signal while in AM on a thin gold chain with the Elliptical, but they are just barely covered with sand and VID 2/-2 giving a null one direction of the coil and a tone on the return.
DL

Back
Top Bottom