Where are some good places to detect for old coins?

Goldenexpress

I am new to metal detecting and want to hunt for older coins. After looking at some of the coins that you folks have pulled:wow:, I was wondering. What places do you guys go to find such great coins? Is their a typical type of area that seems to be better for finding old coins? If so, what is it?

Research, I'd say.

Learn your area. find out where the picnic spots were back in the days of the dates you want on the coins you find. Chances are the same areas are still picnic spots today. Get out there, clear the trash and you'll start finding the goodies.

Perhaps some land was used in the early 1900s for something and it's been abandoned since. Find out who owns it and ask permission. Historians, historical societies, the library, the internet and town property tax records are your best asset.

Last edited:
hello Goldenboy

Snowy is right research is key find out where people would congregate 50 , 100 or even 200 years ago and you'll find coins.

Dan

Older parks are often a good spot to try. Older fields and schools can produce some good coins as well.. You just never know when an old coin will turn up.. Good luck!

Bruce

If possible, try your own yard. You'd be suprised at what you find. Other forum members will attest to this. Around the time I started Mding, they were tearing out and replacing the sidewalks in my neighborhood. I live on a corner. With the slabs gone, I was hunting along the side of my house. Another unknown Mder got to the front first and found an 1802 Barber quarter.:mad: Anyway, St Louis has lots of history. Hit those old parks. Learn how to dig and re-fill holes in a way that noone will know you had been there. After you master that skill, get permission to hunt the yards of old houses. Thats where you will get many of the best finds. Hit the Library this winter to find more good areas. Good luck and show us picks of your future finds.

Wherever people congregate - or congregated - is a potential source of coins. Recreational areas usually are the most productive. Research is the key, the library, older folk in your area, Sanborn maps etc.... RickO

Wherever people congregate - or congregated - is a potential source of coins. Recreational areas usually are the most productive. Research is the key, the library, older folk in your area, Sanborn maps etc.... RickO

Rick got it before me. That's exactly what you should do.

Back
Top Bottom