Fisher F2 question

MobileBama

In reading the F2, what would a silver ring come up as? 00/01?

Also, I'm getting a lot of "zinc" readings but not digging any of them. Should I be digging the "zinc" readings? What #'s do pennies fall under?

Thanks for your help

I am not sure what vdi readings items come up as on the F2, its been awhile since I have had a F2 (good machine btw) but I always set my disc. to just knock out a small nail and dig the rest. Thinking back to when I had a F4, I always disc. iron out, then one day just for fun I ran it in all metal and I don't know why buy two iron id readings I had were pennies. They were very very dark & dirty. Depending on how deep, whether the coin is laying flat or on edge, next to a nail,etc. will give a different vdi reading. You can toss some coins on the ground and run your coil over them at different heights and jot down the vdi readings to give you a reference. Steve.

Well fro mwhat I've read about the machine... the F2 using a combination of VDI numbers 0 through +99 and 8 visual segments. Your silver rings should ring up like a dime, or in that area... not sure what number VDI that is, I know on my X30 they usually hit around a +36.... but mine only goes to +44, whereas your goes up to +99. Your higher VDI numbers will be your clad and silver, and also things like pop cans. For me a penny is a +32, again, you'll hafta speculate how that is equivalent to your machine.

As you go out you should start keeping track of what comes up as what, make a chart, and post it for future F2 users... they are very helpful.

In reading the F2, what would a silver ring come up as? 00/01?

Also, I'm getting a lot of "zinc" readings but not digging any of them. Should I be digging the "zinc" readings? What #'s do pennies fall under?

Thanks for your help
Modern pennies fall into to distict categories...Pre-'82 (copper) and post-'82 (commonly called "zincolns"). Both types were made in 1982.

If you'll look closely at the ID segments that Jimmy mentioned, you'll see that the 7th one is labeled "Dime"...That's where the copper pennies will reside, snuggled up with the dimes (clad and silver).

Zincolns are just what their nickname implies...mostly made of zinc and lightly plated with copper. They ID in the 6th segment labeled "Zinc". Those are the coins that will help you win the "Ugliest Coin Ever" Contest because they corrode so quickly in the soil.:lol:

Regarding the numbers....They're pretty close together within the segments. For example, a wheat penny and clad dime will be around 68 while a rosie will register around 71. All three are within the "Dime" segment. However, depth and mineralization can throw those numbers into a tailspin. Since the F2 has no ground balance capability, you should dig everything that falls into the dime category as that's where silver "resides".

Of course, a zincoln will ring up in the "Zinc" segment and most are about 57...depending on the level of corrosion, depth, etc.

Thanks Low.

A lot of my dime reads are pennies. But I dig everything that says dime.

The quarter signal is dead on. If it reads a constant quarter signal, it's a quarter.

In regards to the zinc pennies, yes you should be digging them. There are some larger GOLD rings that fall into that category. I know you would be sick to know you passed one up. If you are "cherry picking" only the coins, you can notch them out. But, you will pass up some pretty good finds, if you make a habit of it.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom