Another headstamp question

oldmp

I'm just curious about this one. I was looking over turtlefoots site and looking at some of the brass i have found so far and came across one that has no code on it, only 30.06,

Anyone have an idea?

Here is about the best I could get at the moment. Not very good, though, the 30.06 is very clear under light with no hint of anything else that I can see

Attachments

• 2014-11-26 21.40.17.jpg
    2014-11-26 21.40.17.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 135
I think turtlefoot only carries headstamps from shotgun shells, that's a headstamp from a different kind of ammo.

So I found about Turtlefoots site, still good stuff as I've found some shotgun pieces. I know it's hard to see in the photo but I am 99.99% sure there is nothing else on the case except the caliber, sort of getting my curiosity piqued. I went so several headstamp databases and could find nothing. interesting . . .

With only the caliber on it I don't know how you'd determine any other info on that particular cartridge but maybe with enough searching you might get very lucky and stumble across another one like it. Just my .02 worth.

Thanks Zippo, i'm thinking the same thing. I just started detecting a few months ago and figured this was a common thing that I just hadn't come across yet. I'll store it away and wait to stumble on something - love this hobby more everyday!

Thanks Zippo, i'm thinking the same thing. I just started detecting a few months ago and figured this was a common thing that I just hadn't come across yet. I'll store it away and wait to stumble on something - love this hobby more everyday!

I have a coffee can I keep cartridge cases, bullets etc in. The old shotshell bases are some of my favorite things to find because there's a lot of info especially on Turtlefoots site to do some research on them. It kind of gives me an idea of how long ago there was activity in the area I'm hunting.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Thanks. I am amazed at all the information that is available, both here and ultimately leading to many other avenues. THis thread has me now interested in headstamps, where I was usually a little miffed since I always police my brass when I go shooting. A few days ago, I went through the Research thread and found resources that helped to id several new places to hit when the weather permits, a cw encampment that may never have been searched (where I go fishing and had no idea!) and was able to id a cw fort that i started researching for a magazine several years ago!

Just to close this out with a little embarrassment - friend solved this quickly enough - just have to go to the gun store or wal-mart and pick a bag of reload brass, with no manufacturers mark! A reminder to myself to step back and not over-think things! :/

I will be honest, I believe that this is the first one that I have seen posted here. It is still a cool find.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom