Found Bottle Cache in woods....worth persuing?

METALMANIAC-NY

Elite Member
Found these in the woods today....a lot more there Basically I need to know....when I go back there are the bottles worth grabbing and toting out of the woods? Thanks

Attachments

• Carmel-20141109-00073.jpg
    Carmel-20141109-00073.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • Carmel-20141109-00074.jpg
    Carmel-20141109-00074.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,831
  • Carmel-20141109-00075.jpg
    Carmel-20141109-00075.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,787
It doesn't appear to me that there is very much good stuff. I would go back and get more, but that might just be cause I have a tendency to hoard/collect things. Lol

Are most of the bottles near the ground's surface?
If not, dig and see if there is a deeper layer with older glass.

all your bottles are new common types you would find in a late 1950s to early 1960s dump . and in my opinion not worth collecting.:(

Pretty much new stufff.
If you do find something with a business name and city, state they are usually pretty worth looking in to....

The good bottles in 1950's-1960's dumps include milk, soda, and poison bottles. I've found a few tinct iodine skull and crossbone poison bottles in 1950's dumps. Also there are rare milks and acl sodas in these kinds of dumps. A rare local milk or soda in good condition can command a very high price.

Some dump sites have been in use for a very long time and were just abandoned around the 50's or 60's. This means the new stuff is on top and easy to get but there could be older stuff found deeper.

Some dump sites have been in use for a very long time and were just abandoned around the 50's or 60's. This means the new stuff is on top and easy to get but there could be older stuff found deeper.

What he said. Always good to have a probe rod to run down in the ground. They used to bury bottles in even very small yards around here. Lots of times they got lazy and started busting bottles to make more room. You clear off the broken stuff to get to the older era stuff below. I ran into a guy while I was doing Plumbing once downtown digging up a back yard who told me he makes his living on ebay. Just the marbles he showed me was worth more than i made doing Plumbing all week:lol:

Go Deeper

Agree that there might be older material a little bit deeper down. Dump areas generally are used for generations (or until the land owner gets wind of the dumping) :p

It doesn't appear to me that there is very much good stuff. I would go back and get more, but that might just be cause I have a tendency to hoard/collect things. Lol

I wouldn't mind having an old clorox bottle. Fun with the folks at the washomat dragging that in with my laundry.

I did find a Tallahassee FL coke bottle, guessing it came from the plant down on All Saints.

You should poke around some more. Keep: soda bottles with good paint on them, milk bottles, oil/gas cans that aren't rusted or beaten up and soda and beer cans with steel tops.

ACL sodas, even from as early as the 80's, sell well. Pepsi and Coke collectors can be crazy.

Back
Top Bottom