Spectrum XLT questions

BillZ

Elite Member
After using my newly acquired XLT a couple of times, I have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with.

When using the stock coin program, I don't seem to be getting much depth. I haven't gotten any solid hits below 2"-3" and any hits below 1 1/2" that turned out to be coins many times were not very solid. Pinpointing is also pretty difficult so far compared to my Tesoro. The graduated tone pinpointing option seems to help but many times I can't tell if it is pinpointing on my target or if it has honed in on another piece of junk.

I also tried some custom programs on the internet. After loading in the parameters, I get an extremely noisy combination of sounds that don't make any sense to me (yet).

I have also tried the stock "Relic" program to see if it will give me some depth but so far it hasn't yielded any results.

Today, I checked the mineralization of the ground in my yard and it ID'ed at 76

Is that heavy?

I have tried to up the pre-amp gain on the stock programs but get a lot of falsing at anything above 4. It seems to me that I read somewhere that when upping the preamp other things should be taken into consideration but now I can't find where I read it.

My main goal is deep silver. Any help is appreciated.

That definitely doesn't sound right, maybe a ground balance issue :?:..Have you tried testing some targets in your yard.

Bill,

I at first used the stock Coins and then the Coin/Jewelry program, and wasn't getting the results I desired. Then I took things into my own hands. It resulted in finds down to 7" easy and lots of silver in the 4" to 6" range. All of my June 09 album finds are with the XLT, all the goodies after I played with the settings below.

Using the stock coin pogram as a template, I did the following:

Target Volume: 56
Audio THreshold: 23
Tone (Audio Freq) 231
Audio Disc: On
Silent Search: Off
Mixed Mode: Off
A.C. Sens: 64
D.C. Sens: 30
Backlight: 0
Viewing Angle: 25

Ratchet Pinpointing: On
S.A.T. Speed: 5
Tone I.D.: On
V.C.O.: Off
Resolve Value: Off
Modulation: On
Autotrac: On
Trac View: Off
Autotrac Speed: 8
Autotrac Offset: 0
Trac Inhibit: On
Corase GEB: 38
Fine GEB: 225
Disc Edit: Reject -95 thru +17, Accept +18 thru +22, Reject +22 thru +57, Accept +58 thru +93, Reject +94 & +95.
Block Edit: -
Learn Accept: Off
Learn Reject: Off
Recovery Speed: 20
Bottlecap Reject: 4
Visual Disc: On
Icons: On
VDI Sens: 80
DC Phase: Off
Graph Averaging: On
Graph Accumulate: On
Fade Rate: 7
Tx Boost: On
Tx Freq: 4
Preamp Gain: 2-4

give relic mode a try...I hunt in a modified relic mode program...I use most all of the standard relic mode functions but I turn down my thresh hold to about 4-6,turn on mix mode and adjust the PA gain accordingly{give 3 a try and if its stable try 4}.

I also like the beach program for park hunting...seems to run a bit smoother than the normal C&J program. was never a fan of the coin program as I could never get much depth from it.

Anyone got a program for California dirt? :)
I'v been playing with a heavily modded Coin and jewelery program but it overloads occasionally, and wont settle on a VDI number- it'll bounce +/- 40 at times. Not sure which helps more, but I cranked up AC Sens, turned down DC sens, and upped Pre-amp gain. Now, it's time to take them back closer to factory specs.
Hopefully I'll get it right soon :)

XLT help

Sounds like something isnt right. Might have someone look at your detector to make sure everything is ok. I did have to do allot of adj on the sensativity when I was out using mine. . As for deep silver I would say you will probably need the 12" coil. I didn't get that deep with my stock coil. But I did dig some deep targets when the soil was nicely watered. Your going to have to tinker some.. Just when you think you got it you'll figure something out that really helps..

First thing, do some adj on the stock coin & j program.. Turn Tone ID on. This is the absolute first thing you need to do. It will help you weeding out the junk. WHen you master Tone ID you will not have to look at the detector so much later on.

http://66.51.97.78/jb/programm.html

this is a website to look thru for some programs.

Be patient, the XLT is a real good detector. It is what i started with and I am seriously considering picking one up again. AS for depth, I would seriously recomend going out in your back yard and making a test bed to setup your detector & strengthen your confidence. You will learn allot about your XLT this way. Start with a quarter & dig about 4" down. This will allow you to get the hang of it. I bury my stuff in plastic bags to speed up the retrieval. You will be amazed at what you learn..

Have fun

Prosise

Bill,

I at first used the stock Coins and then the Coin/Jewelry program, and wasn't getting the results I desired. Then I took things into my own hands. It resulted in finds down to 7" easy and lots of silver in the 4" to 6" range. All of my June 09 album finds are with the XLT, all the goodies after I played with the settings below.

Using the stock coin pogram as a template, I did the following:

Target Volume: 56
Audio THreshold: 23
Tone (Audio Freq) 231
Audio Disc: On
Silent Search: Off
Mixed Mode: Off
A.C. Sens: 64
D.C. Sens: 30
Backlight: 0
Viewing Angle: 25

Ratchet Pinpointing: On
S.A.T. Speed: 5
Tone I.D.: On
V.C.O.: Off
Resolve Value: Off
Modulation: On
Autotrac: On
Trac View: Off
Autotrac Speed: 8
Autotrac Offset: 0
Trac Inhibit: On
Corase GEB: 38
Fine GEB: 225
Disc Edit: Reject -95 thru +17, Accept +18 thru +22, Reject +22 thru +57, Accept +58 thru +93, Reject +94 & +95.
Block Edit: -
Learn Accept: Off
Learn Reject: Off
Recovery Speed: 20
Bottlecap Reject: 4
Visual Disc: On
Icons: On
VDI Sens: 80
DC Phase: Off
Graph Averaging: On
Graph Accumulate: On
Fade Rate: 7
Tx Boost: On
Tx Freq: 4
Preamp Gain: 2-4

Thanks for the program. So far I have been using a slightly modified Relic Mode. I just turn the icons on and move the preamp from 2 to 5. Still no solid hits of anything below 3-4 inches.

I haven't figured out yet how you do the Disc Edit. When I get to it, it just gives me one number to choose for Accept and Reject. I don't know how you get ## thru ##:?:

The XLT also needs a pretty fast sweep speed. if your swinging the coil to slow you will loose most of your depth and the machine will have a hard time locking on targets. you can adjust the sweep speed in the programing but I could never tell a difference when I adjusted it so I just kept it at factory setting.

The XLT also needs a pretty fast sweep speed. if your swinging the coil to slow you will loose most of your depth and the machine will have a hard time locking on targets. you can adjust the sweep speed in the programing but I could never tell a difference when I adjusted it so I just kept it at factory setting.

I have tried different swing speeds. It seems like it would be difficult to locate a position with a fast swing. I am so used to swinging slow and listening to a tone (tesoro) that it seems counter intuitive.

One thing I did notice is that sometimes I would get a high ID in the 80s on some targets when swinging fast and it would drop down to a lower ID when I swung slow over the same spot. In all cases, I never had a good, repeatable tone and I was not able to get a good pinpoint.

One thing I did notice is that sometimes I would get a high ID in the 80s on some targets when swinging fast and it would drop down to a lower ID when I swung slow over the same spot. In all cases, I never had a good, repeatable tone and I was not able to get a good pinpoint.

I've noticed the same thing. I'm still learning my XLT also. I got it about two weeks ago. I'll be watching this thread because it's answering questions I didnt know i had!

OK, I think I am getting a handle on it, thanks to all for the help so far, there will likely be more questions from me after a few hunts.

I just spent about 3 hours with detector in hand, and manual in the other, going over each setting and creating a program. I had about 20 minutes before dark and managed to score a couple of hits below 3", a penny and a piece of junk metal that signaled in the penny range.

I find the tone discriminate to be helpful because I don't have to be looking down all the time staring at the screen. I also figured out how to set the discriminate feature and accepted everything except for approx the +40's and 50's, +95, 0 to+15, and -40 to -95.

Pre amp is at 4 with some falsing that for now I can deal with. In the future, I hope to understand the ground balance stuff a little better to allow for more gain.

AC sensitivity is up a little, and mixed mode is off for now. Learning mixed mode will be a project for the future.

Back
Top Bottom