freshest newbie around, need some help

BRENTMAN

Hey everyone, I just found this forum after many boring hours surfing the web, and I think I've found a new hobby! I really want to take this up!

Can you guys give me some good starter points, and also give me some opinions on a good detector I should get? I'm seeing a lot about the ACE250.
I'll most likely be doing land digs, on beaches and in the woods, etc, but perhaps some water too?

Like I said, I'm pretty much an hour old, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

welcome to the forum. I would stick to entry level machine like the Ace 250. It will let you do most of what you want to do. Hunting the water is whole differnet animal and I will defer that to the water hunters as I am ground pounder.
Paul

Welcome aboard from a former Buckeye in California.

The 250 is a great machine to get started.

I used to race J-24's on Lake Erie. Go over in the Bay Village area and hit the parks, etc. That's "old money" territory and the parks should never have been hit.

Hahah yep, I live in River, right next to bay...nice little burb.
So you think hitting the ground in those parks would be a good idea?

by the way, is there anything I should buy to go along with the ACE250 to better my digs?

Yeah I think I'll get the ACE250... seems to be my best bet for right now...
Good yes the best no. In my opinion the Tesoro Silver uMax is far superior to the Ace or to any other detector in its price range (around $200.00). Here are some reviews http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/6-1-silverumax.html If you want a detector with a display the Silver uMax is not for you, if you want a great detector that will find the goods,easy to use,light weight,great discrimination,doesn't have a sloooow recovery time like the Ace, or that horrid belltone sound,and comes with a lifetime warranty, the Silver uMax is for you. Steve.

Ive been wondering why people say the ace has a slow recovery time. When you get used to it , there is nothing slow about it. Ive owned whites classics 2 and 3 , tesoro silver sabre umax and bandido 2 umax and used them for years. After having an ace 250 for 3 to 4 months I am covering ground twice as fast as with the others with atleast twice as many finds. The silver umax does seem more sensitive and gets a little more depth , but unless the term "slow recovery time" is a technical term referring to electronic retune or something else I dont get it. I believe the tesoro to be better in some ways but identification of a target gets really sloppy sometimes especially with the "iffy" signals and having a machine that measures the conductivity of an item and gives you a readout of the probable target can actually help speed things up , even if you are experienced. Speed is a relative term , the better you get at using your machine , no matter what kind it is , the faster you and it will be.

But, in choosing which detector buy you really cant go wrong with any of them to start out with though I would stay away from anything generic or foreign made , and those american made companies that are BEST known for making cheap detectors so much that you can sometimes even find them in places like wal mart. I recommend one with a visual target display but its not necessary and you can actually learn a lot more about how detectors work by using detectors that dont have a display , the experience gained by learning subtle sound differences is a positive thing. In the end though its all about finding more goodies , especially when just starting out that way you dont get frustrated and give up so easily before you get the experience under your belt. Everybody has their preferences and what works for some may not work so good for others but sticking with the whites, garrett, tesoro or fisher brands should do well for you no matter which one you choose.

Ive been wondering why people say the ace has a slow recovery time. When you get used to it , there is nothing slow about it. Ive owned whites classics 2 and 3 , tesoro silver sabre umax and bandido 2 umax and used them for years. After having an ace 250 for 3 to 4 months I am covering ground twice as fast as with the others with atleast twice as many finds. The silver umax does seem more sensitive and gets a little more depth , but unless the term "slow recovery time" is a technical term referring to electronic retune or something else I dont get it. I believe the tesoro to be better in some ways but identification of a target gets really sloppy sometimes especially with the "iffy" signals and having a machine that measures the conductivity of an item and gives you a readout of the probable target can actually help speed things up , even if you are experienced. Speed is a relative term , the better you get at using your machine , no matter what kind it is , the faster you and it will be.

But, in choosing which detector buy you really cant go wrong with any of them to start out with though I would stay away from anything generic or foreign made , and those american made companies that are BEST known for making cheap detectors so much that you can sometimes even find them in places like wal mart. I recommend one with a visual target display but its not necessary and you can actually learn a lot more about how detectors work by using detectors that dont have a display , the experience gained by learning subtle sound differences is a positive thing. In the end though its all about finding more goodies , especially when just starting out that way you dont get frustrated and give up so easily before you get the experience under your belt. Everybody has their preferences and what works for some may not work so good for others but sticking with the whites, garrett, tesoro or fisher brands should do well for you no matter which one you choose.
Good post Chris. Alot of people say the Ace has a slow recovery time (because it does). The only way I could see anyone covering twice the amount of ground with the Ace than with another detector is if the Ace has a huge coil on it and the others has a very small coil on it. Everyone likes/dislikes certain detectors if we all liked the same one there wouldn't be a need for any other. I did say the Ace was a good machine, if it had a faster recovery speed and there was a way to turn off the belltone, give it more depth and make it more sensitive then it would be great. We would have to rename it though, I would call it Tesoro ;). Steve.

Ya ya I know why am I swinging a White's :?:.

And I am still awaiting my first check from Vince and James for all promoting I do for them :(:lol: If you see any of these folks in the picture tell them that Steve wants his $$$,lol. http://www.tesoro.com/info/about/

That makes sense I guess but I havent noticed the slow response much at all , though there was a time when I first got the ace things seemed different and took some getting used to. But now I almost dont even need to use the pinpoint feature , where the coil beeps is usually right where I dig except for those odd ones where it dings a few inches away from the target , only the pinpoint clears those up and its usually very shallow. As for covering ground twice as fast its because a quick look at the display as I am on the go tells me with pretty good accuracy whether I want to investigate further or not and I dont have to stop as much and try to figure out what the sound is telling me. If I look at the display and it has gone from one symbol to another I know that about 99% of the time its trash , or if I am not in the mood to dig zinc pennies I can tell in just about a second whether to stop or keep going where a sound only machine may just telling me "COIN" and Id have to stop....too many possible scenerios to list but it all saves time. Especially in very trashy soil. I am not saying someone else with a different machine couldnt match the speed , just that it has increased my speed and the increased finds could be a direct result.

Understood, just don't rely 100% on that display because you''ll give up alot of goodies and that goes for any detector with a display. I have to admit now that I have a White's Eagle II SL I do look at the display more than I figured I would, it is very accurate. Did I just say that out loud, oh oh, bring it on folks :D. Steve.

But if you do go with the ace , get the small sniper coil with it....you will be happy you did. Actually, with any machine you get I recommend getting a sniper coil , you would be surprised by all the stuff you miss in certain areas without one.

Best machine???

Nobody else has asked it, so I figured I would:D First welcome aboard.;) Now for the questions. How much are you allotting to spend (total including detector, shovel, pinpointer)? Second, What kind of personality do you have? Do you like the machine to be simple or are you the type of person that likes to tweek the electronics they buy? The reason I'm asking is that if you are not afraid of experimenting with your new machine and have a bit more money, then there are way better machines out there for the money. Also many used units that were originally top of the line units are available at great prices. I feel, if you can handle working with your new machine a bit, then get something that will eventually end up as a back up unit. I have a White's DFX and a Minelab E Trac. Both great units. If one breaks, I would be happy to use the other one. If I had a lesser unit, I would not want to use it if my main machine was broken. Some great deals can be had on a used DFX, XLT or even and Eagle Spectrum. Also Minelab's Explorer SE is at a reasonable used price. Either way, you will see that brand loyalty is a matter of opinion and pride. Try looking over as many of the forum member's albulms as you can, and see what everyone is finding. Then check what machines they are using. Then decide on what's best for you. Ultimately, it will be your dedication and knowledge that will make the finds (but the machine helps:lol:). Good luck.

Well, for starters I like the $200 price range, but cant afford to go any higher. As for the tech part, I'd much rather have a simpler machine to start out with, I'm not much for tweaking things until I really get to know them. As far as shovels, coils, etc go, I dont really know much about any of that yet. I suppose a standard shovel will do, and perhaps there is a better coil I could get for the ACE that would get me better findings? How far down can the Ace detect?

The aces get around 7 to 8 inches usually but depends on the soil conditions and where you have the sensitivity set. The 6.5 x 9 standard coil that normally comes with it does well in most conditions and there is a larger coil you can get with it that is supposed to increase the depth but it makes it even harder to seperate targets. When a good target like a coin is near a bad one like a piece of iron a larger coil will many times group the two items together and call it all iron just because it covers more area at once. The small sniper coil covers less area at once and has a better chance of seperating the coin from the iron which means you get the coin where you may not of even knew it was there with the bigger coil. It works the same way with any detector. I just got a sniper coil for mine and have been finding coins in areas that Ive already searched many times and missed them before. I just thought Id mention getting one since if you buy your detector new , you may get one cheaper getting all at once. But the BEST accessory you can get for your detector is a good metal digging tool , I think everybody would agree on that.

I'm with ohiochris on what slow recovery time???

I don't know who came up with the "slow recovery time" claim, but my ACE 250 in All Metal mode will chime out 3 seperate tones immediately in a row when swinging over trash, a pulltab, and coin, for instance, repeatedly. No hesitation, no problem. Slow your swing down more and you will pinpoint the goodies among the trash without the need of pinpointing like ohiochris said.

Are there any main stores that sell the Ace? Or do I have to get it either at a specialty shop or online? Is 6"-8" enough?

Are there any main stores that sell the Ace? Or do I have to get it either at a specialty shop or online? Is 6"-8" enough?

Check out some of the forum sponsors that appear at the top of the page. You can get some good package deals that includes things such as extra coils, digging tools etc.
A machine with a 6-8" depth is good unless your object is 9" deep:lol: Seriously that is enough considering you are just starting out. You will come to realize there is no one machine for every situation. That is why you see members using more than one brand or model. I have no personal experience with the ACE250 or the cheaper priced Tesoros mentioned in this thread other than members constantly posting nice finds. I do not think either would be a bad choice. The key is devoting the time to learn your machine. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
ohiochris said:
Ive been wondering why people say the ace has a slow recovery time. When you get used to it , there is nothing slow about it. Ive owned whites classics 2 and 3 , tesoro silver sabre umax and bandido 2 umax and used them for years. After having an ace 250 for 3 to 4 months I am covering ground twice as fast as with the others with atleast twice as many finds. The silver umax does seem more sensitive and gets a little more depth , but unless the term "slow recovery time" is a technical term referring to electronic retune or something else I dont get it..

I don't know who came up with the "slow recovery time" claim, but my ACE 250 in All Metal mode will chime out 3 seperate tones immediately in a row when swinging over trash, a pulltab, and coin, for instance, repeatedly. No hesitation, no problem. Slow your swing down more and you will pinpoint the goodies among the trash without the need of pinpointing like ohiochris said.

Firstly, in "all metal" mode there is almost no recovery time involved, on any detector.
For "recovery time" to matter, to manifest itself, you must be in a discriminating mode (and discriminating ;-) )

"Recovery time" has to do with the detectors electronics, the processing and analysis of the received signals from the ground.

Detectors not having any Depth and Target ID information capability have much much less processing of the received signal to do and thus are known to be very quick.

"Recovery time" could be defined has beeing proportionate to how quickly can the coil pass over two targets successively and give their correct ID and whatever other displayed information a manufacturer/designer has decided to provide to the user in a discriminating mode (and discriminating)

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the 'Welcomes' everyone. And for all the advice

People on here are 100 times nicer and more helpful than people on like Plowsite or bodybuilding .com

Back
Top Bottom