Im overwhelmed....

top1

Wow so ....

I am visiting my family in Southern Minnesota right now. I live in Southern California.. Down there it was hard to find good spots to detect... I get here and EVERY single property looks like exactly what I would want. All the houses are pre 1890s and I am certain have never been touched.

Whats the best way to go about this.? My plan is to just knock on doors with my pitch and see what happens... My mind is racing thinking of all the caches that could be buried on these properties.

Any suggestions for 1800s farm houses?

I would just tell them what you would like to do... be straight forward and try not to use the word "dig" gives a bad picture. The worst they can say is no. If they do say no politely say thanks for your time and walk away.

I would just tell them what you would like to do... be straight forward and try not to use the word "dig" gives a bad picture. The worst they can say is no. If they do say no politely say thanks for your time and walk away.

Yeah good points... I figure if I make it clear its only a hobby and that if I do in fact find things, they will get to see everything and keep whatever they want. I dont even care about the keeping of stuff, I just want to uncover:cool:

The other thing working against me is it is VERY obvious I am not from around here.

biggest thing to remeber ,,,, IT IS ALREADY A NO IF YOU DONT ASK..... it wont kill ya, just say your in the metal detecting hobby and your vacationing in the area, you noticed there old house , its beautiful by the way, i was wondering if I could take a look around for a little while.

biggest thing to remeber ,,,, IT IS ALREADY A NO IF YOU DONT ASK..... it wont kill ya, just say your in the metal detecting hobby and your vacationing in the area, you noticed there old house , its beautiful by the way, i was wondering if I could take a look around for a little while.

Im so stoked.... Only reason I am not out right this second is because I mailed my detector to a buddy that lives about 200 miles from here... Im going to get it Friday and its door to door time.

Start going door to door now! Don't wait for your detector to do it. Try to get 4 or 5 different locations in different neighborhoods set up. Lots of times when a neighbor sees you detecting a property they will come over and offer up their yard too. Tat has happened to me more than once. Good luck & I hope you get to u cover lots of cool things!

Wow so ....

I am visiting my family in Southern Minnesota right now. I live in Southern California.. Down there it was hard to find good spots to detect... I get here and EVERY single property looks like exactly what I would want. All the houses are pre 1890s and I am certain have never been touched.

Whats the best way to go about this.? My plan is to just knock on doors with my pitch and see what happens... My mind is racing thinking of all the caches that could be buried on these properties.

Any suggestions for 1800s farm houses?

If your visiting family, ask some of them if they know anyone who will let you MD. And be sure to mention your family name when asking to MD someones property. In small farm towns everyone knows everyone at some point in time so there is no harm in bringing up your family name.

Even if you are from Cal. You're family lives there.

Now I would start in the front yard. Walk a grid pattern until you've swept the whole yard. Then work your way down the edge of the driveway. If there are any sidewalks or curbs in front of property by all means sweep them.

Follow the path leading out to the mail box and around the front porch. If there are any large shade trees, I would circle around them. Then head out back to the clothes line and the path leading toward the back door.

If they had an old outhouse then follow that path from the back door out. Check along any sidewalks, wooden or stone fence line, and around any sheds. Any large trees in the back yard, circle them too moving out about 6ft.

Ask if there's an old dump nearby if they are out in the country. Most dumps could bring a few good bottles.

GL&HH

Mention to them that you are from SoCal and are in town with family. Tell them what you would like to do.

My experiences from travel, is that people are more accomodating to out of towners, but make sure to tell them that you are visiting family in town. Make yourself look like a loving, caring person. :D

Cut to the chase...

Just say you're in town for a few days with no time to mess around. :laughing:
DSC_2712small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom