Water detectors INFO...

Snowy

Forum Supporter
Krom and I had the opportunity to use a Tiger Shark underwater detector for the week so we snagged the chance. We've been looking at getting into water detecting for some time but still haven't purchased one. I'm actually glad we hadn't done so yet.

While out there today I learned a few things and have some questions. I'm hoping people here can explain their underwater detector in brief. I'm not looking for any comparisons, just brief explainations of what your detector does.

That said, I'll give this a shot.

We set up the Tiger Shark and were able to quickly learn solid signals, broken signals and noticed some double signals. Everything is the same tone. We liked the machine, but we wondered if it was more than we needed, or if we would prefer something higher end. I'm trying to qualify us for a detector. No sense spending a ton of money for bells and whistles we won't use, right?

So... we're in the water. Fully enjoyed the experience. Simply LOVED it!
An hour or so later I felt a shiver up my spine and I shivered... I was getting cold!! It was a hot day out there, too! This sparked the first thought.... How long can we swim out of the year, how often can we get a day, or even a few hours, to go, and how long can we stay in the water each time we go?

Once on the beach and drying off, I noticed we had only gone out up to about our chest. Thought 2 pops... We were just wading... do we simply need a wader machine?

Thought 3 ... If we had a water detector, how often would we be hitting the ocean? Well, we'd hit the ocean waters with a water detector, for sure, so we need a detector good in fresh and salt water.

I'm not dissing the Tiger shark, but from what I understand it's not so good in salt water. So... buying one of these is about out of the question.

For those of you who use wader machines, have you used them in salt and fresh water, are there any with tone ID?

For those of you with machines designed for deeper water, how do they perform in salt and fresh water (any falsing, etc?), and again... tone ID?

I've got more thoughts and questions, but will refrain from adding them here to avoid too long a post. I'll share with you a couple pics, though! Nothing special, but here they are:

The first pic is of a lake we went to early this morning. I went in with my cell phone in my pocket. :roll: We left there, went visiting, got a loaner phone, ran some errands, etc, and hit a different place tonight. We were there about an hour. Found 2 nickels (one Canadian), a dime, 3 pennies and some screw caps. Like I said... nothing special. But it was FUN!

Attachments

• LocalLake.jpg
    LocalLake.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 343
  • 081609WaterFinds.jpg
    081609WaterFinds.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Everyone has their opinions Donna... the Tiger Shark is a decent detector... is it the deepest? No its not... How much saltwater hunting are you going to do? Are you going to hunt more freshwater? If so the Tiger Shark is a good choice... The Tiger and the Detector Pro Wader are very good fresh water machines and decent saltwater machines...

You want to step up... go with the Excalibur... its the best of the best for a discriminating detector...

I won't tell you to look at a PI because they aren't a lot of fun in the freshwater.. trust me I use mine in freshwater...

If you are going to hunt more saltwater than fresh then a PI comes into the picture... and a PI is the deepest beast out there... no discriminating VLF can touch its depth in the wet/water...

Thanks Craig. Exactly the info I was seeking.
More freshwater... so a Tiger Shark or a Detector Pro this year and
an excal or a CZ-21 next year... (Thinking...)

Krom found a 14k wedding band this morning with the Shark.

Sounds like you 2 had a great time!Im getting rdy to grab a water detector myself.Im about 10 miles from lake ontario and the cold water would be great on these hot days.After alot of reading and video watching ive opted to grab an Excalibur 2 ..They seem to have super depth,Tone id,which are important to me.My main machine is an E-Trac (had a month)and the Se for back up(being sold to get excal2 ).The excals really seem to shine in most areas,good enough to use for small gold too.The infinum by garret would be another possible choice,I hear they get good depth also.MY personal Prefrence.....Excal 2 .Good luck and HH

I have a seahunter mark II... it is a PI machine which i use in freshwater. It goes very deep and finds a ton of iron... thats the reason why people dont prefer PI machines in fresh water.... lakes are quite dirty and the iron on the beaches will keep you digging for trash forever....

I on the other hand dont mind it, Ive learned to identify target depth and tone strength which helps in knowing what you will be digging before you dig it. I know the excal is a lot more expensive and I would love to take a test drive to see what it is all about... Im happy with my seahunter.

Hope i helped at least a little....

happy hunting.

Thanks Craig. Exactly the info I was seeking.
More freshwater... so a Tiger Shark or a Detector Pro this year and
an excal or a CZ-21 next year... (Thinking...)

Krom found a 14k wedding band this morning with the Shark.

Donna if you can find a used CZ21 go for it but I would not put out what they are asking new... I would instead opt for the Excalibur which is superior to the Fisher machine... I found a hardly used CZ20 for a friend so I scooped it up for $300 dollars.. The Tiger Shark gets a bad rap from some... its a decent detector...

If I was to buy another water machine I would look for a Excalibur 1000 I prefer it to the new ones... just me and my opinion... the only reason I don't have my Excal anymore is its not as deep as a PI is I couldn't see my Excalibur sitting on a hook collecting dust so I sold it to someone who would use it all the time :)

It is just my opinion but the Excalibur is the top dog in the water!
And it makes a dern good beach detector as well.
True a PI will detect deeper but you don't have much discrimination with those and for fresh water they will drive you nuts.

Buy a used Excalibur ... hunt with it for two years ... and it is still worth what you paid for it.
That should tell you the real value of the Excalibur.

The CZ-20 and 21 are also a good detector but they need a saltwater mode to operate, need to be ground balanced,and that knocks them down a peg.
I have had two of them and IMHO they are not as good as the Excalibur.

If I could only have one detector to do all my hunting with it would be the Excalibur II with a 10" coil and modified for the Grey Ghost headphones.

The next best thing is wading with a Sovereign strapped to your chest.

Willee

I called my favorite dealer and he hasn't had any Tiger Sharks for months because they pulled them due to a switch failure.... lifetime warranty covers the ones out there, but they haven't resolved the issue yet so they aren't shipping any out to the dealers.

I talked to my dealer about the waders... can't get the headphones wet so that won't do for us.

I know where I can get a CZ-21 for $875.

If I can't get a Tiger Shark, I guess I'll look for a used excal..... and go from there next year...prolly get another used excal or a Tiger Shark... I don't want to fight Krom to use the water machine so we both gotta have our own.... (sigh ... still thinking).

Last edited:
I called my favorite dealer and he hasn't had any Tiger Sharks for months because they pulled them due to a switch failure.... lifetime warranty covers the ones out there, but they haven't resolved the issue yet so they aren't shipping any out to the dealers.

I talked to my dealer about the waders... can't get the headphones wet so that won't do for us.

I know where I can get a CZ-21 for $875.

If I can't get a Tiger Shark, I guess I'll look for a used excal..... and go from there next year...prolly get another used excal or a Tiger Shark... I don't want to fight Krom to use the water machine so we both gotta have our own.... (sigh ... still thinking).

Donna... the Whites Beachhunter would work great for you and Joe... its got depth and is lightweight and easy swinging...

Donna, your dealer either doesn't carry the HeadHunter line or has never bothered to learn about it. There are three different models of the beach units:

The Pirate. This is the low end and the headphone is not submersible.

The Wader. This is the mid-range unit. The whole thing is guaranteed submersible down to six feet.

The Diver. Same electronics as the Wader but with improved sealing. Totally submersible down to 100 feet.

I have been using a Wader for beach hunting for years with no water issues. Best thing about it is that it is so light you can swing it all day.

http://www.detectorpro.com/headhunter-wader.htm

OK, clarification..... my bad... he explained that to me, Rudy...
I was stuck on the Pirate, where the headphones are not submersible....
We also talked about khz... the wader, which is the one I was considering,
operates on 2.4 khz. We're looking for something with a higher khz.

I'm sorry for that. It was my bad.

Same with the Fisher 1280x... 2.4 khz.
I'm not sold on the Fisher CZ-21 yet, even though I found one for $875.

Whites Beach Hunter? Hm. ... What's its frequency? Can't seem to find it.. still looking.

Last edited:
Donna the Beachhunter is like a waterproof DFX.. dual frequency...

Operating frequency 3 + 15 kHz

Back
Top Bottom