Silver Ingot - First silver also

jayreef

Elite Member
Well i did want my first silver, but had the surprise of my life with this one :)

The story:

Wondering around near some rocks, got a silver beep, and far right silver as the 250 would go.

moved the rocks to dig, beep gone :no:

waved 250 around, and the sound was under the rocks again - you can see where this is going :lol:

eventually, i noticed a rock i was moving was stamped with a numbering system (early Hallmark :?: )

Exclaimed, "Your having a laugh"

Beeped it to check, and yep - i now own a Solid silver rock, the size of my hand almost.

Well i own at the moment, i will have to declare this.

If anyone can help date this, let me know please.

R07M

it has nicks on the bottom where it has been tested when traded in the past

pics

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

If that find is not great, I don't know what is! Very nice, historical, value and
excitement all in one rock, that has been no doubt passed over many times by others. (without detectors_:yes:

its the story of my life

nothing is ever simple :lol:

anyone know when the numbering system came into play?

as in 0123456789, instead of X V

Nice find, to bad you have to declare it :( I would go back and look around alittle more, because to me it almost seems like it may have been numbered for maybe a location and there might be more at that location. When you declare it, do they charge a tax on it or can they simply take it from you and issue it back after a time limit? Always wandered how that worked across the pond :?:

Fuzz

I actually wish we had treasure declaration laws here in the US. It would most likely open a lot more areas that are restricted to detecting. You'd be able to keep most finds unless it was declared treasure.

That's an incredible find!! What's the weight on it??

I believe they take it,

independantly value it,

and if its declared as treasure,

then you have to sell it to a museum for that price, if the museum wants it.

Congratulations jayreef, that's incredible!! I can only dream of finding a solid ingot of any precious ore! :wow: :cool12: I especially love the serial number struck on it!! :yes: HH
NC

Congratulations, that's really cool! Definitely a unique find, you never know what you'll find when you go out! I think you should submit the story to Garrett and see if you can get the find of the month!

Good point Mykie

i keep thinking British - might not be at all

also to mention, which i find weird about the shape

it fits really nicely in your right hand, because the depression on the top right is really nicely thumb size.

such a random shape, but in some ways makes sense, in others not

people have had the ability to cast square shapes, of any shape for ages,

so why sand cast a 'rock' shape and the stamp it with dies

My FLO for the area has looked at it and thinks it is less than 300 years old

makes it less valuable

but I get to keep it:grin:

Back
Top Bottom