How are these still for sale?

JimR_TN

Elite Member
Was browsing around Ebay this morning and ran across this, fake Teknetics T2 metal detectors. How are these still for sale? First Texas was going after these people that made copies of their detectors yet now they seem to be selling again.

Attachments

• FakeT2.jpg
    FakeT2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 442
Looks like the T2... I wish I still had mine...

Sure, I have not been able to part with my Fisher F75, a cousin of the T2. Great machine. Still that isn't a T2 but a Chinese clone they are calling "Gold Seekers". I thought First Texas Products was actively shutting down these counterfeit metal detectors from being made/imported???

Sure, I have not been able to part with my Fisher F75, a cousin of the T2. Great machine. Still that isn't a T2 but a Chinese clone they are calling "Gold Seekers". I thought First Texas Products was actively shutting down these counterfeit metal detectors from being made/imported???

There are so many fake items out there including coins... its why I only buy from dealers or someone I know...

How are these still for sale?[/QUOTE]

You can buy a lot of illegal drugs, and about anything else you want online. A lot of places even take AMEX!, they post a legit product on Alibaba, then sell you the illegal/semi illegal stuff through that account.

There are a lot of addictive drugs, that are not even outlawed yet in the USA, that China is selling into the USA.

The feeBay parrot will continually squawk "We're only a venue. Only a venue. Bwark!".

Until some court holds them accountable for their allowing counterfeiters/fraudsters/thieves to operate, nothing will change. Their problem, and I've noted this on Amazon too, is that they lack the expertise or desire to hire the expertise to cull out the frauds and misrepresentation.

No, I don't use feeBay anymore and never will.

-- Tom

You can buy a lot of illegal drugs, and about anything else you want online. A lot of places even take AMEX!, they post a legit product on Alibaba, then sell you the illegal/semi illegal stuff through that account.

There are a lot of addictive drugs, that are not even outlawed yet in the USA, that China is selling into the USA.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are looking for that kind of stuff, I don't know how anyone would even know. People can get anything they want if they are persistent in their search.
The issue here is fraudsters scamming unsuspecting consumers looking for a deal. Unfortunately there is little the actual manufacturer can do about it. My company deals with fraudulent websites that have stolen our trademarks, product images and marketing verbiage right from our website. They set up a domain that makes it appear they are authorized sellers, and sell product that they don't have at attractive pricing to unsuspecting consumers. The red flag here is the payment method they require like Zelle, Bitcoin etc. They don't take credit cards and once you transfer the $$$, they stop responding. Everything they are doing is illegal but their web domains are set up in obscure third world places and there is little US authorities can do to shut them down. Even after they are exposed as frauds, they just open up another website with a different name and continue their scam.
Best advice for an online shopper is to use your credit card, and buy only from places with well established credibility, positive consumer reviews and a
solid return policy. And the golden rule--- if it seems to good to be true, it probably isn't.

I've probably reported a dozen eBay listings for counterfeit Garrett carrots, but they never take them down. Ebay needs to block all the Chinese sellers. They're 95% of the problem.

I've probably reported a dozen eBay listings for counterfeit Garrett carrots, but they never take them down. Ebay needs to block all the Chinese sellers. They're 95% of the problem.

I find yelling at a brick wall to be just as effective as reporting to feeBay. They won't take down the Chinese sellers until something happens that they (feeBay) are held financially responsible for.

-- Tom

P.S. I said in an earlier post that Spamazon was as bad, but in a way they are worse. I reported an Agilent meter that was being sold, but the picture was for the next model up (about $50-100 more expensive). Spamazon said they saw nothing wrong with the listing and let it remain. They actually replied and said they weren't going to do anything.

I think 95% of eBays goods are from China, the won't be doing anything in a hurry.

As I understand it often when products are contract manufactured in China the factories will do over runs or extra runs in addition to what they were contracted to to. That is where a lot of 'counterfeit' stuff comes from.

I don't know if this applies to these detectors.

Not to start an argument but i'm not sure that can be considered a counterfeit. Are they advertising that it's a T2 or F75? If not then they really aren't committing fraud. Just because it looks the same doesn't make it a counterfeit. I seriously doubt that Fisher makes all of their housing in house (i could be wrong i suppose). I'm sure they buy them from another manufacturer and Fisher handles the electronics. Unless they have some kind of exclusivity deal with those other manufactures then that company would be free to sell their housings to anyone. So unless they are claiming that these are actually T2 or F75 detectors there's really no fraud happening.

Not to start an argument but i'm not sure that can be considered a counterfeit. Are they advertising that it's a T2 or F75? If not then they really aren't committing fraud. Just because it looks the same doesn't make it a counterfeit. I seriously doubt that Fisher makes all of their housing in house (i could be wrong i suppose). I'm sure they buy them from another manufacturer and Fisher handles the electronics. Unless they have some kind of exclusivity deal with those other manufactures then that company would be free to sell their housings to anyone. So unless they are claiming that these are actually T2 or F75 detectors there's really no fraud happening.

I'm pretty sure the physical design of the F75/T2 originated with Fisher/Teknetics. So unless they sold or licensed the rights to that form factor, it's possible there could be some shady practices going on.

Or maybe they never took steps to legally protect the form factor of the T2/F75?

I'm pretty sure the physical design of the F75/T2 originated with Fisher/Teknetics. So unless they sold or licensed the rights to that form factor, it's possible there could be some shady practices going on.

Or maybe they never took steps to legally protect the form factor of the T2/F75?

It's not only the form factor (and look alike merchandise is still illegal) they are also using the software. That was part of First Texas Products lawsuits. Just look at the screens.

Attachments

• T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 135
  • T2fake.jpg
    T2fake.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 140
It's not only the form factor (and look alike merchandise is still illegal) they are also using the software. That was part of First Texas Products lawsuits. Just look at the screens.

That's true on IF the look is patented, copywrited or trademarked. If not then it's not illegal. If they are using the same software then that's a different story. But you couldn't tell that from the screen. That's just a display.

At the end of the day it's Fisher's fight, not mine. Just pointing out that you can conclude something is counterfeit just because it looks similar.

Back
Top Bottom