Nostalgia ......remembering the fun stuff from when we were kids !

never would of had the nerve to do that.

Some of these machines were located outside the store 24 hours a day. A couple of times at night we got a bottle opener and a cup, pulled the door to the machine open, popped the bottle cap off and let the soda pour into the cup. FREE soda ! :lol:

Thinking out side the box: laughing: my brother bought one of those old soda machines and put his beer in it.

A memory we wish we could see again today - gas prices from our younger days ! :laughing:

It was likely 1968 when I got a driver's learner's permit at 15 years old, and gas prices over $1 were unheard of when I was a kid, here are some signs I found online, notice even the prices in the more recent of the photos (Chevron - 1978) were still under $1.00 :shock:

GASSTA~2.JPGGASSTA~1.jpg

gas station 1960.jpggas station 1970.jpg

gas station 1978.jpg

:drive:

I remember us having something like this when I was a kid, probably could use one now to keep track of when I'm in the doghouse with my wife from times I don't get my chores done :laughing:
familydoghouse.jpg

A memory we wish we could see again today - gas prices from our younger days ! :laughing:

It was likely 1968 when I got a driver's learner's permit at 15 years old, and gas prices over $1 were unheard of when I was a kid, here are some signs I found online, notice even the prices in the more recent of the photos (Chevron - 1978) were still under $1.00 :shock:

View attachment 500000View attachment 500001

View attachment 500002View attachment 500003

View attachment 500004

Not only were gas prices low but the gas stations tried to get you into their station with all kinds of giveaways.....S&H green stamps, all kinds of dishes, and collector "coins", Sunoco had Sunny Dollars, and probably a couple dozen things I don't even remember. There were also "gas wars" where stations would sell gas at the lowest price possible to get you into their shop. In 1965 there was a gas war that I remember and one station was selling their gas for 19.9 cents per gallon. The local Hess station offered free gas if you filled your tank and the pump automatically shut off at $1.11, $2.22, $3.33, and so on.
The attendant would pump your gas, check your oil and wipe your windshield. Some of them even wore uniforms of the company they represented.
One New England company advertised on TV. The company was Jenny and was pretty much a Massachusetts company.
They had a jingle that went like this...
You can save a pretty penny,
Buy your gasoline at Jenny,
Jenny is so good to your car.

Atlantic Gas had their own jingle.....that went as follows:
Atlantic keeps your car on the go.....
For business, for pleasure,
In any kind of weather,
Atlantic keeps your car on the go.
We had Calso, Flying "A", Atlantic, Richfield, Chevron, and Phillips 66, none of which are around anymore.

Not only were gas prices low but the gas stations tried to get you into their station with all kinds of giveaways.....S&H green stamps, all kinds of dishes, and collector "coins", Sunoco had Sunny Dollars, and probably a couple dozen things I don't even remember. There were also "gas wars" where stations would sell gas at the lowest price possible to get you into their shop. In 1965 there was a gas war that I remember and one station was selling their gas for 19.9 cents per gallon. The local Hess station offered free gas if you filled your tank and the pump automatically shut off at $1.11, $2.22, $3.33, and so on.
The attendant would pump your gas, check your oil and wipe your windshield. Some of them even wore uniforms of the company they represented.
One New England company advertised on TV. The company was Jenny and was pretty much a Massachusetts company.
They had a jingle that went like this...
You can save a pretty penny,
Buy your gasoline at Jenny,
Jenny is so good to your car.

Atlantic Gas had their own jingle.....that went as follows:
Atlantic keeps your car on the go.....
For business, for pleasure,
In any kind of weather,
Atlantic keeps your car on the go.
We had Calso, Flying "A", Atlantic, Richfield, Chevron, and Phillips 66, none of which are around anymore.

Yep, I can remember they would even check your oil and clean your windshield too :shock:

I remember when there was no self-service, you drove over the small hose that made the bell ring so they knew they had a customer waiting for gas. I do remember the glass giveaways though I am sure there were others I don't remember offhand.

We had a Phillips 66 about a block away, I liked walking there as a kid because it had a candy vending machine that was the only source in the area for one of my favorite candies (the candy was okay, but I was more interested in what surprise novelty toy I'd find inside :?: :lol:
GUESS-~1.JPG

Your post reminded me there was an old Texaco jingle I used to hear on the old tv commercial, also found a few other old commercials online.

(make sure your sound is turned up to hear them)

1960s Texaco Jingle

Everybody goes to Gino's commercial

Adams Sour Gum Commercial 1960's

Slinky commercial 1960's

Burma shave signs

Don't remember that particular sign but long ago I seem to remember seeing something online about how Burma shave would use multiple signs, but don't remember if I saw any in person or not, I just hoped they put them in a non-busy section of road so as not to be too much of a distraction in a busy area :shock: wouldn't want anyone having a "close shave" on the road :lol:

There were lots of variations on the signs most i saw were in rural areas on the way to tourist attractions. We would see them on family vacations, and they would help pass the time.

Found some more vintage stuff from back then

(make sure your sound is turned up)

Kellogg's Rice Krispies

ALPHA-BITS CEREAL

Let's All Go To The Lobby

Drive-in Goodnight

Pepsi Commercial 1960's

I remember those "corny" ads at intermission. We had a number of drive-in theaters here back in the 1950's and only one had food that was "decent".
I remember one item they advertised called "Flavos". It was some kind of shrimp thing and my mother was always curious about it. Finally on one of our drive-in visits she decided to try it. My mother wasn't a picky eater and would eat most anything but when she finally got her "Flavos" she threw it away after only one bite. :lol:

I remember those "corny" ads at intermission. We had a number of drive-in theaters here back in the 1950's and only one had food that was "decent".
I remember one item they advertised called "Flavos". It was some kind of shrimp thing and my mother was always curious about it. Finally on one of our drive-in visits she decided to try it. My mother wasn't a picky eater and would eat most anything but when she finally got her "Flavos" she threw it away after only one bite. :lol:

:laughing: Don't remember ever hearing of "Flavos" but I'm guessing the name "Flavos" didn't seem to equate to "flavor" :lol:

I seem to remember our local drive-in that I would walk to and sit on one of the benches outside the concession stand had "shrimp rolls" but they were one of the more expensive items so I don't remember ever trying theirs, my concession stand budget as a kid made me want to choose the less expensive items that would fill me up more, like the boxes of popcorn :lol:
:popcorn:

.....and some more vintage commercals

Mister Softee vintage commercial

1960's IDEAL Christmas Toy TV Commercial
(as a kid a "wish list" toy I never got :lol:)

....and even a couple more for now.....

Teaberry Gum commercial

Maxwell House Coffee

(even though I didn't start drinking coffee until I was aboard ship in the Navy, I remember as a kid enjoying the smell of the fresh ground 8 o'Clock coffee they would fresh grind at the checkout lane of the A&P grocery store)
:compcoffee:

Some vintage car tv commercials from back when they had vintage gas prices :laughing:

1966 Ford Mustang

Chevrolet Impala Convertible 1961

1959 Chevrolet Brookwood Station Wagon

Grew up in the 1960's. We didn't even have a TV for many years, although that was somewhat rare. My parents bought an encyclopedia set (like Wikipedia, but printed in books), loved sitting around and reading that. Grew up in the country so rode the ponies of all the neighbors whose kids had grown up and moved away. Man, those were vicious beasts. Riding bikes. Building tree houses. Dancing wildly to vinyl records, not cool stuff.

_____
Join syndicate casion and earn money by playing games. The only site that hasn't banned me for winning. Learn how to use this website and stop getting ripped off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom