Lost civil war treasure / FBI recovery ?

GKL : You and Dave are a great asset to the md'ing hobby and community. My wife got a good laugh on the latest cartoons. But.... I had to explain to her how I got this kill-joy skeptic reputation. Doh ! :roll:

:laughing:

Glad to hear your wife is getting a good laugh also, even if you had to explain the reputation to her :lol:

(there are many better MD'ers out there than me, I still feel somewhat like an amateur noob compared to many of them :lol: but I am glad people enjoy the funny edits :lol: I do need to find some more private property permissions though, because even though I feel like I am using my detector well, the public areas in my small town has not had much in the way of old coins, but hey, the important thing is I still have fun and enjoy my hunts anyhow as it is a lot more fun way to exercise than walking on a treadmill :lol:)

Well ... since you're prodding and needling me Dave, I can not resist responding to this . Doh ! :roll:

Whenever I poo-poo treasure legends with skeptical questions and/or "more plausible explanations", then the 'faithful' followers of the legends are sure to do exactly as was done here : They will point out historical past treasures that were found. As if to bolster the notion that we should believe all treasure legends.

Not unlike your link here, or they'll point to the Atocha & Mel Fisher, and so forth. The obvious implication with such moves is to imply that : *Therefore, treasure legends should not be considered un-true* Eh ?

But this is not logical. For starters, the mere fact that various treasures WERE found, means that they, by definition, WEREN'T "ghost story camp-fire legends" IN THE FIRST PLACE ! For example: The validity of the Atocha was not-in-question, even from the start. So that's *hardly* an example of a "legend that got proven true".

And to the extent that some lore or campfire legends ever DID come true, does NOT mean, of necessity : "Therefore all campfire legends are true". That does not follow logically. It is much more plausible that the occasional legend that turns out to be true, is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

Well ... since you're prodding and needling me Dave, I can not resist responding to this . Doh ! :roll:

Whenever I poo-poo treasure legends with skeptical questions and/or "more plausible explanations", then the 'faithful' followers of the legends are sure to do exactly as was done here : They will point out historical past treasures that were found. As if to bolster the notion that we should believe all treasure legends.

Not unlike your link here, or they'll point to the Atocha & Mel Fisher, and so forth. The obvious implication with such moves is to imply that : *Therefore, treasure legends should not be considered un-true* Eh ?

But this is not logical. For starters, the mere fact that various treasures WERE found, means that they, by definition, WEREN'T "ghost story camp-fire legends" IN THE FIRST PLACE ! For example: The validity of the Atocha was not-in-question, even from the start. So that's *hardly* an example of a "legend that got proven true".

And to the extent that some lore or campfire legends ever DID come true, does NOT mean, of necessity : "Therefore all campfire legends are true". That does not follow logically. It is much more plausible that the occasional legend that turns out to be true, is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

You have to admit it is a pretty interesting article with some good history in it. https://www.legendsofamerica.com/trs-kgctreasure/

Well ... since you're prodding and needling me Dave, I can not resist responding to this . Doh !
:roll:

You have to admit it is a pretty interesting article with some good history in it. https://www.legendsofamerica.com/trs-kgctreasure/

......whether or not any of those treasures are out there waiting to be found, it is worth watching this thread just to read how Tom and Dave have fun responding to the "prodding and needling" (all in good fun) :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey Tom,
Those coffee cans of gold coins that were found up in our Gold Country a few years back, do you know if they were ever part some Gold County Legend?

I think they were just stubbled upon by the couple walking their property, no detector required! ;):cool3:

Hey Tom,
Those coffee cans of gold coins that were found up in our Gold Country a few years back, do you know if they were ever part some Gold County Legend?

I think they were just stubbled upon by the couple walking their property, no detector required! ;):cool3:

Don't expect a quick answer from Tom as he has probably left to go up there and try to extort 30% from those folks . :lol:

Hey Tom,

It is my understanding that there was no "story" behind those. Just, as you say, dumb-luck that someone stumbled on to them. Ie.: No one was chasing a story, following clues, etc.... In fact, there's even still on-going dispute as to where they came from.

Hey Tom,

And also: That story goes to show a valid statistic : Notice that when caches are found (sometimes even showing up on md'ing forum show & tells), that they are ALWAYS either dumb luck (someone digging that "durned hubcap" out of the way), or someone with first person present-tense lead. Ie.: commissioned caches where someone is asked by the next of kin to help out. Or some such validated source (not campfire telephone game over 100 yrs).

Despite the SCORES of treasure legends afloat out there (Lost Dutchman, Yamashita, Oak Island, pearl ship, blah blah blah) you NEVER hear of any of them being found. Despite many that go looking.

I tried to point that out once, to show the silly-ness of wasted energy on them. And to point out that lack-of-finds SHOULD speak loudly. But oddly, the "faithful" have a quick retort comeback line :

That big ticket treasures, (the various legends and their magic wands that point to them) are being found all the time. But .... it's just that the finders don't go public. D/t they are afraid that thieves will target their homes. Or that the IRS will come knocking on their door. Blah blah blah. But rest assured : Treasure legends are being found all the time. :roll:

And also: That story goes to show a valid statistic : Notice that when caches are found (sometimes even showing up on md'ing forum show & tells), that they are ALWAYS either dumb luck (someone digging that "durned hubcap" out of the way), or someone with first person present-tense lead. Ie.: commissioned caches where someone is asked by the next of kin to help out. Or some such validated source (not campfire telephone game over 100 yrs).

Despite the SCORES of treasure legends afloat out there (Lost Dutchman, Yamashita, Oak Island, pearl ship, blah blah blah) you NEVER hear of any of them being found. Despite many that go looking.

I tried to point that out once, to show the silly-ness of wasted energy on them. And to point out that lack-of-finds SHOULD speak loudly. But oddly, the "faithful" have a quick retort comeback line :

That big ticket treasures, (the various legends and their magic wands that point to them) are being found all the time. But .... it's just that the finders don't go public. D/t they are afraid that thieves will target their homes. Or that the IRS will come knocking on their door. Blah blah blah. But rest assured : Treasure legends are being found all the time. :roll:

If you found a big pay out in gold or silver would you let anyone know? sure most on here wouldn't for the reasons you mentioned. :laughing:

If you found a big pay out in gold or silver would you let anyone know? sure most on here wouldn't for the reasons you mentioned. :laughing:

My pushback, to their pushback, is to point out the obvious :

1) That "big ticket" items are posted (in our hobbyist show & tell) ALL THE TIME. There's been coins posted that were worth some big bucks. And occasionally we see someone posting a cache find. Why aren't people targeting their houses for break-ins ? Why isn't the IRS knocking on their door ? :?:

2) Let's be honest : The IRS is not monitoring md'ing forums looking for people to bust for not paying taxes on the gain. Do you really think they give 2 sh*ts about geeky md'rs ?

3) As for thieves : If thieves wanted to know whose house to break into, do you *really* think they monitor md'ing forums, and then target those houses for break-ins ? Really ? All that thief has to do, to determine which house likely has the most affluence and goodies to steal, is to merely drive down the street . And see what kind of car you park in the driveway. If you have a late model Tesla, then odds are, you got $$. If you have a beat up Ford pinto, odds are, you don't have much $$.

But it's predictable : they will say that the bread & butter caches we see on our md'ing forum show & tells (a single jar of morgan dollars, etc... ) are NOT the caliber of the legend-class caches. The big ticket treasures (that are certainly found all-the-time) are measured in TONS of gold. :roll: Ie.: gold bars stacked to the ceiling, etc.... Thus when you're dealing with THAT much, then sure, the IRS comes knocking. Right ? :roll:

Ok, I give up. I'm headed out to look for the Lost Dutchman. Anyone want to join me ?

My pushback, to their pushback, is to point out the obvious :

1) That "big ticket" items are posted (in our hobbyist show & tell) ALL THE TIME. There's been coins posted that were worth some big bucks. And occasionally we see someone posting a cache find. Why aren't people targeting their houses for break-ins ? Why isn't the IRS knocking on their door ? :?:

2) Let's be honest : The IRS is not monitoring md'ing forums looking for people to bust for not paying taxes on the gain. Do you really think they give 2 sh*ts about geeky md'rs ?

3) As for thieves : If thieves wanted to know whose house to break into, do you *really* think they monitor md'ing forums, and then target those houses for break-ins ? Really ? All that thief has to do, to determine which house likely has the most affluence and goodies to steal, is to merely drive down the street . And see what kind of car you park in the driveway. If you have a late model Tesla, then odds are, you got $$. If you have a beat up Ford pinto, odds are, you don't have much $$.

But it's predictable : they will say that the bread & butter caches we see on our md'ing forum show & tells (a single jar of morgan dollars, etc... ) are NOT the caliber of the legend-class caches. The big ticket treasures (that are certainly found all-the-time) are measured in TONS of gold. :roll: Ie.: gold bars stacked to the ceiling, etc.... Thus when you're dealing with THAT much, then sure, the IRS comes knocking. Right ? :roll:

Ok, I give up. I'm headed out to look for the Lost Dutchman. Anyone want to join me ?

When you find that lost Dutchman mine be sure to report it to the IRS. :laughing::laughing: https://www.taxdebthelp.com/blog/find-treasure-or-hidden-cash-irs-wants-its-cut

You are cruel. Just plain cruel . But I have to confess I had a fun time reading that ! :laughing:

Treasure hunting in the Philippines (no metal detecting) is even stricter with a permit fee and the Philippines getting a very large slice of the pie. After sharing with the land owner and paying for all the cost your share would be very small. That is why so many have tried to do it in secret . A number of Japanese have come in under the guise of building a new road or school for a comunity while searching in secret . Here are the laws on treasure hunting over there . https://philippinetreasurehuntinglaws.blogspot.com/2018/10/philippine-treasure-hunting-laws.html if i found something super valuable over there i would try and keep it out of the press and try and find a way to get it out of the country.

Treasure hunting in the Philippines (no metal detecting) is even stricter with a permit fee and the Philippines getting a very large slice of the pie. After sharing with the land owner and paying for all the cost your share would be very small. That is why so many have tried to do it in secret . A number of Japanese have come in under the guise of building a new road or school for a comunity while searching in secret . Here are the laws on treasure hunting over there . https://philippinetreasurehuntinglaws.blogspot.com/2018/10/philippine-treasure-hunting-laws.html if i found something super valuable over there i would try and keep it out of the press and try and find a way to get it out of the country.

And let me guess: If someone ever goes to try to point out the lack of Yamashita treasures (despite the THOUSANDS that search), these onerous laws, that you speak of, will be pointed to. They *most certainly* mean that Yamashita treasures are found left & right. Yet everyone remains mum, to save on costs, taxes, fees, etc.... That's the ticket !

So here's how it shakes out: 1) Treasures found and shown mean : TREASURE ! 2) No treasure found or shown mean: TREASURE ! Either way, ya can't lose, eh ? :laughing: This is what's known as the logical fallacy of : "Unfalsifiable". :roll:

Here is a example of Japanese digging for treasure in the Philippines with out a permit and what happened.https://philippineslifestyle.com/treasure-hunters-japanese-yamashita/

Hey, I understand that you can buy Yamashita treasure maps, on the street corners there. All of them contain stellar lineage from eyewitnesses during WWII. They are all iron-clad. So how about this : Since you're proficient in the culture, language, etc...., you be my guide and translator. We'll split the treasure 50/50. Ok ? And if we're not successful in finding the treasure, then the least you can do is introduce me to a cute Philippine girl, ok ? :blush2:

Hey, I understand that you can buy Yamashita treasure maps, on the street corners there. All of them contain stellar lineage from eyewitnesses during WWII. They are all iron-clad. So how about this : Since you're proficient in the culture, language, etc...., you be my guide and translator. We'll split the treasure 50/50. Ok ? And if we're not successful in finding the treasure, then the least you can do is introduce me to a cute Philippine girl, ok ? :blush2:

You can find the maps and leads all over ,and entire books written on the Japanese codes and symbols marked on rocks and trees. Lots of examples on the internet. Rather a dangerous venture easy to get killed if some one thinks you have found a treasure. Some places much more dangerous than others . I have never been allowed to visit the island my brother in law and his family live on . A lot of Americans can be targets for kidnaping and robbery . One of my wife's brothers got his throat slit ear to ear just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. As to language while many islands have their own almost every one with a education speaks English. AS to girls lots of beautiful ones over there (https://pageant-mania.forumotion.com/t16785-miss-world-philippines-2021-official-swimsuit-photos) , but the country has been on lock down since last year due to the covid-19 so no tourist allowed in to the country. While i enjoy the ideas of treasure over there i will stick to metal detecting and trying to find old silver and gold coins, war relics , and tourist bling. Beautiful country , love the people and over 7 thousand islands to explore. The very first foreign country i ever visited and first place i used a metal detector.

Last edited:
And if we're not successful in finding the treasure, then the least you can do is introduce me to a cute Philippine girl, ok ? :blush2:

Say what ? !!!!!!!!! Tom , say it isn't so :shock: First it's trying to strongarm
folks for a 30% finders fee and now possibly seeking out something on the side ? :yikes: :snapoutofit:

Back
Top Bottom