• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A New Police Encounter for Me!

I have ONE more word of caution for those that learn the laws and TRY to abide by them.

LAWS change. When I received the citations for diving in the Detroit river, I was cited under city ordinance 22-2-2. THAT ordinance has absolutely nothing to do with the water now. If I would have been diving and another marine officer had stopped me, he would have probably thought I was losing it if I would have brought up that ordinance. It is now ordinance 49-4-1.

I am still legal, BUT sometimes a law will change where you now will be illegal. I was a cop till 1991. Thirty years ago. I am sure some of the laws that applied when I was serving are no longer on the books.

IF you know you are within the law and you talk politely to an officer and he brings up another law or says the law you KNEW is no longer valid, I would get any information you could and RESEARCH it later.

If I would have been diving in the Detroit river and an officer advised me the laws changed, I would probably have left. NOW that I know where to find the new law and I go back, I am VERY WELL prepared to stand my ground. I probably won't go back under if an officer decides to take my dive flag but I guess I will see what transpires and how I feel if I get harassed again.

I was fishing a hot spot one evening in a canon in Utah. A sheriff officer stopped and told me it was illegal to fish there. I was positive I was legal, BUT I didn't have the rules with me and I had a small doubt. I was nice to him and told him I was leaving. I went into the city to a Smiths Food King and got the rules. I was right. I called the sheriff's dispatch and told them I had a copy of the rules and I was going back, if the officer wanted to talk. I went back but he never showed up.;

IF you decide to WILLFULLY break a law and you are advised to leave, i would do just that. I will never do that. No coin, artifact, or ring is worth the headache.

^ ^ bingo ^ ^

Sometimes it's not about "Am I legally in-the-right" or not . Sometimes it's about "what will produce the best results".

Tom, Really, I am always polite. I was one of them and I respect them. BUT if you as an officer don't want to listen or want to throw your weight around I will gladly toss your threats back at you!!

When I tell an officer I was one of them and he replies "So you know all the laws then." Things go DOWNHILL FAST. I replied, I know the trespassing laws. He did not like the fact that I didn't tuck in my tail and run. HIS problem

Back
Top Bottom