First hunt at new permission, nothing spectacular yet, but 2 "somewhat" unusual finds

GKL

Forum Supporter
This is the new permission I mentioned getting in my thread about digging my first silver, it's actually 3 acres instead of the 2 I originally thought and dates back into the 1800's.

Wasn't able to get as much digging in today as I hoped, but I'll be getting back there again.

Anyhow, no coins at all yet, lots of rusty nails and screws/bolts and other trash, and 2 "somewhat" unusual finds, a metal tag that says Tropicana orange, and a horseshoe that was about 9-10 inches deep and in the front yard. (not extremely unusual, just "somewhat" unusual :lol:)

Here is a pic of all the finds from today:
20201016_Br_st_total_hunt_1.jpg

Here are pics of the horseshoe and metal tag:
20201016_Br_st_horseshoe1.jpg20201016_Br_st_horseshoe2.jpg
20201016_Br_st_tag1.jpg20201016_Br_st_tag2.jpg

Here is a pic of a long granite-like short "bench" the property owner told me was used as a stepping platform for ladies to step up into horse drawn carriages:
20201016_Br_st_horse_carriage_step.jpg

Here is just a couple pics of just part of the area:
20201016_Br_st_area.jpg20201016_Br_st_area2.jpg

The property owner has a farm about 5 minutes away where he has some animals, he said his son lost a school ring there long ago and remembered the general area, said if I could find it he'd give me $100 but I told him just me having permission to detect was payment enough. So I plan on going to his farm tomorrow to see if I can find his son's lost ring, hopefully I can as I know it would mean a lot to him.

I might not get back to this 3 acre permission till Tuesday of next week unless I have time to stop by there tomorrow after looking for his son's ring on his farm.

new permission

This is the new permission I mentioned getting in my thread about digging my first silver, it's actually 3 acres instead of the 2 I originally thought and dates back into the 1800's.

Wasn't able to get as much digging in today as I hoped, but I'll be getting back there again.

Anyhow, no coins at all yet, lots of rusty nails and screws/bolts and other trash, and 2 "somewhat" unusual finds, a metal tag that says Tropicana orange, and a horseshoe that was about 9-10 inches deep and in the front yard. (not extremely unusual, just "somewhat" unusual :lol:)

Here is a pic of all the finds from today:
View attachment 473451

Here are pics of the horseshoe and metal tag:
View attachment 473452View attachment 473453
View attachment 473454View attachment 473455

Here is a pic of a long granite-like short "bench" the property owner told me was used as a stepping platform for ladies to step up into horse drawn carriages:
View attachment 473456

Here is just a couple pics of just part of the area:
View attachment 473457View attachment 473458

The property owner has a farm about 5 minutes away where he has some animals, he said his son lost a school ring there long ago and remembered the general area, said if I could find it he'd give me $100 but I told him just me having permission to detect was payment enough. So I plan on going to his farm tomorrow to see if I can find his son's lost ring, hopefully I can as I know it would mean a lot to him.

I might not get back to this 3 acre permission till Tuesday of next week unless I have time to stop by there tomorrow after looking for his son's ring on his farm.
Be cool if you can recover that ring for him , might find some coins as well.:detector: cool pictures of the area you hunted today.

Be cool if you can recover that ring for him , might find some coins as well.:detector: cool pictures of the area you hunted today.

Hey, since I told him that permission to detect was payment enough instead of the $100 he offered if I found it, that I'm sure he wouldn't care about any coins I might find, he told me before that all he asks was to know what I found, I think it's simply out of curiosity to know what was there.

Okay, thanks for the extra input, maybe "orange" was the color of the roses.

It's a type of rose bush.

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/rosa-tropicana

I was hunting a property with a buddy and on the old aerial photos it looked like there was some sort of dark structure in the large side yard in the shape of large circle. As it turns out, what we were seeing was a "wall" of mature rose bushes, as evidenced by the rose bush tags found in the exact spot.

Last edited:
It's a type or rose bush.

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/rosa-tropicana

I was hunting a property with a buddy and on the old aerial photos it looked like there was some sort of dark structure in the large side yard in the shape of large circle. As it turns out, what we were seeing was a "wall" of mature rose bushes, as evidenced by the rose bush tags found in the exact spot.

Neat, thanks for sharing that, good research ! :thumbsup:

You can understand how seeing the word Tropicana and orange could wrongly imply a crate of oranges :lol:

Looks like a promising site and good luck finding the class ring at the other spot!

Like the horse shoe and the rose tag (dug a similar one once)

Good play-by-play and good site pix ! Also good that you didn't find any pesky LC's :cool3:

Looks like a promising site and good luck finding the class ring at the other spot!

Like the horse shoe and the rose tag (dug a similar one once)

Thanks !!!! .....I was thinking that since that horseshoe was about 9-10" deep it might possibly not have been used since the 1800's.

Good play-by-play and good site pix ! Also good that you didn't find any pesky LC's :cool3:

Thanks !!!! .......if I do find any "pesky LCs" I'll definitely be looking forward to your comment afterwards :laughing:

Wow ! Look at all that potential ! Great pictures .You'll find something good I'm sure . Enjoy ! Good luck on finding that ring , that would be a fantastic event !

Wow ! Look at all that potential ! Great pictures .You'll find something good I'm sure . Enjoy ! Good luck on finding that ring , that would be a fantastic event !

Thanks !!!! .....sure hope I can find that ring for him, he's a nice guy, I asked him if he needed me to call him each time before I detect his property and he said no, so I can just go there and detect as my schedule allows with no advance notice needed !

Thanks !!!! .....sure hope I can find that ring for him, he's a nice guy, I asked him if he needed me to call him each time before I detect his property and he said no, so I can just go there and detect as my schedule allows with no advance notice needed !

Man , that's totally nice of him , that equals carefree , comfortable hunting .
and that's not an easy thing to acquire these days .

Man , that's totally nice of him , that equals carefree , comfortable hunting .
and that's not an easy thing to acquire these days .

I know, not to sound like I'm patting myself on the back, but I am a very trustworthy person, but you still need to be able to get the property owner to realize that and that is understandingly not always as easy to do in this day and age. I think if you take the time to chat with the person long enough they can get a sense that you are for real, and I enjoy talking to him he is easy to talk to and has some interesting bits of info about the area's past.

Actually I found out the it was actually his father that lost the class ring back in the 1950's I think he said his father got the ring in 1937 if I remember correctly.

So that was likely somewhere over 60 years since that class ring was lost and he was going by the story that was told to him. He understands it is a long shot at finding it after so long, but I told him while the chances might not be great I was still glad to at least give it a try.

I looked for the class ring for about 2 1/2 hours today with no success, but some of the area is overgrown as that specific area is not actively being used right now. The owner said eventually he'll get that area trimmed back down and give me a call and I could try looking again, I told him no hurry, I plan on detecting all year (unless we get a highly unusual extreme cold snap).

Here is what I did find while looking for the class ring:
20201017_class_ring_search_finds.jpg
Here is the specific area where he thought the class ring might be at:
20201017_class_ring_search_area_1.jpg20201017_class_ring_search_area_2.jpg
(I had no idea his farm covered so much area - 621 acres)

On the way home I stopped by his vacant 3 acre property that started this thread, I was only there roughly about 1 1/2 hours, finally found my first coin at this permission and of course the usual trash :lol:

The coin I found was a nickel, I was hoping it was an older nickel, but once I got it home and looked at it magnified it was a 1985, well, at least it's better than trash :lol:

Here's a pic of the coin as well as the trash:
20201017_Br_st_1st_coin.jpg20201017_Br_st_1st_coin_b.jpg
20201017_Br_st_1st_coin_dig.jpg
20201017_Br_st_2nd_hunt_trash.jpg
I'm not totally giving up on this permission, but I might mix in hunts elsewhere (including around where I found my first silver at that park :lol:) because I am thinking with all the trash I found and only one coin so far at this permission maybe it had been detected already maybe when the previous owners had it.

I did have myself initially hyped up over the potential I thought this permission might have, but I realize that simply being a private property permission does not guarantee a lot of good finds, I might be a little disappointed but not really discouraged. (hey, getting trash, a horseshoe and one coin on my next 3 hunts after getting my first silver is a little bit of a letdown :lol:)

private property

Actually I found out the it was actually his father that lost the class ring back in the 1950's I think he said his father got the ring in 1937 if I remember correctly.

So that was likely somewhere over 60 years since that class ring was lost and he was going by the story that was told to him. He understands it is a long shot at finding it after so long, but I told him while the chances might not be great I was still glad to at least give it a try.

I looked for the class ring for about 2 1/2 hours today with no success, but some of the area is overgrown as that specific area is not actively being used right now. The owner said eventually he'll get that area trimmed back down and give me a call and I could try looking again, I told him no hurry, I plan on detecting all year (unless we get a highly unusual extreme cold snap).

Here is what I did find while looking for the class ring:
View attachment 473514
Here is the specific area where he thought the class ring might be at:
View attachment 473515View attachment 473516
(I had no idea his farm covered so much area - 621 acres)

On the way home I stopped by his vacant 3 acre property that started this thread, I was only there roughly about 1 1/2 hours, finally found my first coin at this permission and of course the usual trash :lol:

The coin I found was a nickel, I was hoping it was an older nickel, but once I got it home and looked at it magnified it was a 1985, well, at least it's better than trash :lol:

Here's a pic of the coin as well as the trash:
View attachment 473517View attachment 473518
View attachment 473519
View attachment 473520
I'm not totally giving up on this permission, but I might mix in hunts elsewhere (including around where I found my first silver at that park :lol:) because I am thinking with all the trash I found and only one coin so far at this permission maybe it had been detected already maybe when the previous owners had it.

I did have myself initially hyped up over the potential I thought this permission might have, but I realize that simply being a private property permission does not guarantee a lot of good finds, I might be a little disappointed but not really discouraged. (hey, getting trash, a horseshoe and one coin on my next 3 hunts after getting my first silver is a little bit of a letdown :lol:)

Sounds like you have enough places to hunt to keep you very busy for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom