Coins, I am very confused

Right now on my property I haven’t found any coins at all. Just some relics. But I keep trying and hoping. I would love to have other places to hunt as well. But I have no idea where to start. What kind of places to look for to get permission. Or for that matter, the best way to approach a property owner. God I hate being a rookie!!!

Sometimes you just luck onto old stuff in a site you think is not that old. A 1970s house might be standing on a lot that previously had an 1880s house, etc.

Right now on my property I haven’t found any coins at all. Just some relics. But I keep trying and hoping. I would love to have other places to hunt as well. But I have no idea where to start. What kind of places to look for to get permission. Or for that matter, the best way to approach a property owner. God I hate being a rookie!!!

One thing is to make sure you have gotten good practice at digging and replacing plugs on your own property so when you do dig elsewhere you can leave it looking as if it was never dug up.

Some people are simply not comfortable approaching strangers to ask for detecting permission, and now with Covid-19 it might make it a little more difficult approaching strangers.

Before asking total strangers, you might first try asking any relatives or friends that live in your area if you can detect their property.

Also, sometimes someone might have lost something on their property like keys or a ring and ask if you can find it, if they offer a reward you might say instead of any reward just allow you to detect their property.

Did a quick search to try to find many of the common slang words used in metal detecting lingo to put into an easy to read list form.

If any corrections or additions are needed please feel free to do so, thanks !

Archie – An Archaeologist.

Barber - The Barber dime (named for its designer, Charles E. Barber, who was Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint from 1879 to 1917.

cache - Coins or jewelry found together often in a jar.

canslaw - Shreds of aluminum cans left after being hit by a lawnmower.

clad - coins after 1964 that were cheaper metal covered (clad) to still look like silver coins except on the edge.

coinspill - a bunch coins found together in the same dig

key date – A coin of low mintage numbers that has higher value.

Merc - a Mercury dime (minted from 1916 to 1945)

plug - A hole carefully dug in the ground so that the grass is not harmed.

rosie - A silver Rosevelt dime (1946-1964)

seeded hunt - A hunt where the the finds have been scattered or planted

tear-outs - when sidewalks or parking lots are removed for repair or construction.

test garden - an area usually in one’s own yard with coins and other objects to test your detector's response to those items

toasted - A coin that is badly corroded because of a long period of time in the ground.

tot-lot - public playgrounds

Walker - US Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916-1947)

wheatie - US wheat back cent (1909-1958)

.....and of course the infamous Zincoln :laughing:

In 1982, with the 95% copper and 5% tin & zinc composition costing too much to produce, the United States Mint was approved to use a new metal composition for the penny:
97.5% zinc
2.5% copper

A lighter weight of 2.5 grams (versus 3.11 grams for the copper cent)
That combination results in a zinc core for the cent with a pure copper coating.

Your yard, then friends and family's yards. Then (if allowed in your area) schools and parks. Those are great areas to learn what your machine is telling you, learn how to pinpoint, learn how to dig a plug and leave the area looking like no one was there. Schools especially will have plenty of coins... and plenty of trash which both help you learn. I find wheaties, foreign coins and have even found 2 Mercury dimes behind schools this year.

And if you haven't watched videos on how to dig a plug now is the time. It will keep your friends and family happy and keep from upsetting people at schools and parks.

Good luck!

Barber = dime, quarter or half minted 1892-1916 (no halves in 1916) - designed by Charles Barber. Toasted means corroded to the point that it is hard to read the date, see the design, or even identify. Wheat pennies were minted from 1909-1958 - the back has two stalks of wheat (which i always thought looked like feathers). Merc is short for Mercury dime, minted 1916 to 1945 (President Franklin Roosevelt died in 1945 and the dimes changed to his likeness... those are Rosies) Mercury dimes portray the Roman god Mercury.

Mercury dimes do not bear his likeness, thats lady liberty. The actual name is " liberty head dime" Somehow long ago it got the nickname " mercury dime"

Mercury dimes do not bear his likeness, thats lady liberty. The actual name is " liberty head dime" Somehow long ago it got the nickname " mercury dime"
Nope, dude looks like a lady. It’s why I always call it “Mr. Mercury.” It’s a portrait of the Roman god Mercury, or Greek “Hermes.” Where else on any other US coin is lady liberty’s head “winged”? :cool: I know, it’s actually a winged cap.

Edit:that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. :lol: The design is a little bit of both, Liberty and Mercury.

Last edited:
Barber = dime, quarter or half minted 1892-1916 (no halves in 1916) - designed by Charles Barber.
:?: Does that mean we gotta throw out our 1916 Walker halves?:lol: BTW, Barber didn’t have the 1916 design, that was Adolph Weinman.

:?: Does that mean we gotta throw out our 1916 Walker halves?:lol: BTW, Barber didn’t have the 1916 design, that was Adolph Weinman.

It's true that Weinman has the designs in 1916, however there was an overlap of coins in that year with both Barbers designs and Weinmans.

As an aside to some other posts about the Merc, The official term is "Winged Liberty Dime" (per Red book). The Barber series is also called the Liberty Head so the Winged Liberty is to differentiate the two designs.

It's true that Weinman has the designs in 1916, however there was an overlap of coins in that year with both Barbers designs and Weinmans.

As an aside to some other posts about the Merc, The official term is "Winged Liberty Dime" (per Red book). The Barber series is also called the Liberty Head so the Winged Liberty is to differentiate the two designs.
I stand corrected.

God I hate being a rookie!!!

That is the key to success, right there! Pretty much everything I ever got good at, I started out despising my clueless beginner status. Eventually, I learned not to stress about that...just jump in and get educated. Practice practice practice...then location location location.

The God known as Mercury had wings on his feet. The wings on the Phrygian cap of the "Mercury" dime or "Winged Liberty" if you will, were put there to symbolize "Freedom Of Thought".......which seems to be somewhat suppressed these days.

Another is there is no such US coin as a penny. It is a Cent (just read what is on the coin).
A penny is an older British denomination.

Back
Top Bottom