Final Hunt Of 2019

diggin4clad

Elite Member
The weather turned warm, melted the snow and thawed the ground allowing us to get in one more hunt for the year. We hit a site where two weeks ago I dug a pair of silver Roosevelt dimes. No silver this time but we did get 77 coins worth $11.89. The oldest thing was a toasted to death 1958 wheat cent. Best find of the day came as we were heading back to the car and Sue dug NINE clad quarters in the same hole. The pic of the site is quite fitting.....the sun setting on both the hunt site AND the 2019 hunt season.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
777 coins in one hunt???????? That’s insane!!!! How did you clean the clad? It looks brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

777 coins in one hunt???????? That’s insane!!!! How did you clean the clad? It looks brand new

OOPS ! BIG Typo.....it was 77 coins not 777. I've changed it.
As for the clad, I cleaned them the same way I always do...….30 minutes in a tumbler with gravel, water and a bit of dish soap. Then I shake them in a plastic bottle with an inch of liquid bowl cleaner to get the rust off. After that I tumble them for another hour and that's generally how they come out. Most of these coins were a bright orange color when they came out of the ground.

OOPS ! BIG Typo.....it was 77 coins not 777. I've changed it.

As for the clad, I cleaned them the same way I always do...….30 minutes in a tumbler with gravel, water and a bit of dish soap. Then I shake them in a plastic bottle with an inch of liquid bowl cleaner to get the rust off. After that I tumble them for another hour and that's generally how they come out.

That’s exactly how I clean mine but my clad comes out brown. Must be a lot of newer drops

Congrats to both you and Sue on what was a very nice end hunt for the year. A very amazing amount of clad and some fantastic investments that you converted it to. Hope 2020 is even a better year. Trapper

Congrats to both you and Sue on what was a very nice end hunt for the year. A very amazing amount of clad and some fantastic investments that you converted it to. Hope 2020 is even a better year. Trapper
Thanks Trapper.....our hunt season is over but we're already looking forward to 2020 and whatever adventures the hobby brings us. I wish you success in 2020.

Last Shot For 2019

Congrats once again to both yourself and Sue on the season's last hunt. I tried hunting last week as my snow was melted but the ground was frozen hard. I only managed $.95 and finally gave up. I guess we have to wait till spring ?? I may try a bit this Sunday, 45 deg. I can honestly say that I have never gotten 9 clad quarters in one hole ( 5 is the most ). Happy Holidays to both Sue and you.

Congrats on a great year....:yes: (I grew up in Meriden/ Southington, but My grandparents lived in Windham/Willimantic.....I miss living there....)

Congrats on a good hunt and I hope it is not your last for the year. Maybe your competition up there does though :D There is no clad left around you for a radius of what, 100 miles? :D
I'll do my best to pick up your slack down here, we don't ever freeze solid, but can't really hope to get anywhere near your totals.
Nine quarters in one hole is really fabulous!

Nice way to finish D4C. Congrats to you and mama on a nice haul. Gotta love those coin spills, I seem to have a little luck with them, and like you guys, mostly clad. I did recently had 3 Wheaties in one hole. I haven't been able to get out in over a week but a slight warm up is coming so hopefully will be able to get out a few more times before the end of the year. Stay warm and Happy Holidays to you & Sue. Mark

Congrats once again to both yourself and Sue on the season's last hunt. I tried hunting last week as my snow was melted but the ground was frozen hard. I only managed $.95 and finally gave up. I guess we have to wait till spring ?? I may try a bit this Sunday, 45 deg. I can honestly say that I have never gotten 9 clad quarters in one hole ( 5 is the most ). Happy Holidays to both Sue and you.
Thanks Ron.....The ground where we were was mostly thawed except for a few shady spots which made digging a little tougher in those areas. The temps were in the mid 40's which was nice but a steady 20-25 mph wind made it kind of miserable but being our last hunt of the year we toughed it out. We're done for this year (sadly) and the detectors are put away until spring. Sue's nine quarters in the same hole beat my previous record of eight. Earlier this year I did get nine NICKELS in the same hole but that's nowhere near as good as quarters. Merry Christmas to you.....:xmas:

Congrats on a great year....:yes: (I grew up in Meriden/ Southington, but My grandparents lived in Windham/Willimantic.....I miss living there....)
Thanks Curt.....Sue is originally from New Britain and lived for awhile in Bristol and then Plainville before moving in with me. Willimantic has gone WAY downhill lately, lots of stores in the downtown are boarded up.

Congrats on a good hunt and I hope it is not your last for the year. Maybe your competition up there does though :D There is no clad left around you for a radius of what, 100 miles? :D
I'll do my best to pick up your slack down here, we don't ever freeze solid, but can't really hope to get anywhere near your totals.
Nine quarters in one hole is really fabulous!
Thank You Dave.....I'm afraid we've hunted our last hunt this year because the ground will freeze up this week. Temps are predicted to be no more than 20 on Thursday and in the single digits at night. I hope there's some clad left in the 100 mile radius because if not we'll have to move to another state. Sue was very happy with the nine quarters especially because she dug them on the way back to the car and it was her last target of the year. Good way to end it.

Nice way to finish D4C. Congrats to you and mama on a nice haul. Gotta love those coin spills, I seem to have a little luck with them, and like you guys, mostly clad. I did recently had 3 Wheaties in one hole. I haven't been able to get out in over a week but a slight warm up is coming so hopefully will be able to get out a few more times before the end of the year. Stay warm and Happy Holidays to you & Sue. Mark
Thanks Mark.....I've dug three Wheaties in the same hole only ONCE in my 37 years, all others have been one at a time and I've never dug multiple silvers. Clad spills are fairly common but not to the extent of Sue's nine quarters. Good luck getting out some more before year's end and Merry Christmas to you.:santa:

Back
Top Bottom