Cheap PI machine

Cheap? Jet black sand? I wouldn't call the Whites Dual field cheap but in comparison to other machines lately it might be your best option.

That’s a tough one - maybe a used sand shark?
I had one and I really liked it. I never used it under "jet black sand" conditions though. Tesoro is no longer so make sure that if you buy a used one that its in working order and won't need any repairs. Not having a company that would be available to service it would probably influence my decision as to what I would buy.

Another vote for the Dual Field here. You should be able to find a decent used one for a reasonable price- less than $500? I paid $550 for a pristine second-hand DF several years ago.

I had a surf pi pro listed in the classifieds... sold now though. Great detector and with the smaller coil. Df is light weight with a big coil. A bit noisy until you get used to it. Sandshark is heavy, smaller coil but very easy to use for a beginner and pinpointing is simple. Infinium will likely cost more

Whites

Surf pi Df , I have a nice one , on a plugger- strait shaft I will let go , if interested pm me , low hours , all my equipment is in great condition , ask around , Earl

Last edited:
Surf pi Df , I have a nice one , on a plugged strait shaft I will let go , if interested pm me , low hours , all my equipment is in great condition , ask around , Earl
You would have to look long and hard to find any used equipment that would look newer than Earl's. :laughing:

What’s an inexpensive PI machine that works in jet black sand? My equinox overloads in it.

I've owned/used the Sea Hunter XL500, Sea Hunter MK2, Infinium, Surf PI, Surf Pi-DF and Detector Pro PI. All great machines, but in challenging soils, the few extra bucks for a Surf Pi-DF or an Infinium are well worth the money. Of those two, my favorite is the dual-field.

My reasoning is because the DF is easy to tune to conditions, is amazingly deep, and there are a plethora of replacement parts both from Whites and independent suppliers.

As far as buying used, definately some things you should consider. If it was used in or near salt water beaches, the salt water has a tendancy to degrade the cables and crack the plastic on the coil and controller housing.

I've bought and refurbished at least 20 detectors. I've found rough detectors that were held together by duck-tape and prayers but still worked under water. I've found mint detectors that were used a few times, then left in a closet for 5-10 years and put up for sale. On the first use at the ocean the cables suddenly cracked or water intruded through hairline cracks that weren't visible to the eye when I inspected at purchase. Also found mint detectors that looked perfect on the outside, but had batteries that exploded and corroded the connections or circuit board. Honestly, buying used can be a gamble.

That is "UNLESS" you are able to test the unit for a reasonable amount of time and submerge it under water, or know the previous owner was meticulous about cleaning and applying products that protect the components. Earl is one of those guys and as mentioned in the above post, it sounds like he might offer to sell one of his units. Also, you can always reach out to a forum sponsor and ask them about pre-owned units. They usually go through the units to ensure they work properly and offer a short warranty.

Above all else, avoid eBay and Craigslist unless you get a steal of deal. Meaning, the price is low enough that you take into consideration the cost of a replacement cable, coil, knobs and/or battery/controller seals.

JUst my $0.02... :D

Last edited:
A whites surfmaster pi can be gotten pretty cheap on ebay. I picked one up last year for less than $200. It's already payed for itself a few times. Its my back-up detector for those special black sand beaches..:cool3:

Chris are you hunting fresh or salt water? Just be aware in fresh water where iron lasts forever a pi can drive you nuts. Not that i ever hunted fresh. But in salt after a storm black sand wasn't what i was worried about with a dual field or Infinium. I for sure found some deep gold with my dualfields though. My Infinium wasn't as deep.

What ?? The Nox overloads in black sand ? I thought the Nox was the cat's meow for everything, including curing cancer ?? :laughing:

Yeah... I can tell you 1st hand. In very black sand , mineralized rocks. This think is basically junk. Even after tweaking all the settings. And it wasn't just my Nox. But i will say , my DF also has a tough time as well. But at least it still worked. Just on a few select beaches.

Mmmmmmmm

You Florida , and CA . Boy's are spoiled , come up here, I'll bet you won't find gold, excludes silver , and tungsten carbide , ;)

Back
Top Bottom