Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 12,353
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Do you see how it will never end ? And that it can begin to border on the ridiculous ?
I took a wiz out doors like 5 or 6 times already today...Instinctual...(mostly inside my pants, at my age this is the norm). I also picked up a bluejay feather, and I smoked at least a half a pack of non filters and flipped them out the window or over the fence..I rolled through a stopsign at 11:17 when there was an opening in the traffic...I snot rocketed a massive clot of lung butter in the parking lot on my way into the Piggley Wiggley for a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread...I paid cash...

My biggest felony today is picking up the blue jay feather...Or picking up that turtle trying to cross the the road...I was smoking at the time, and pulled over a solid white line, put on my hazards and jumped the hell out for a non mechanical reason...so yeah...big trouble! At least 3 or 4 felony violations there! Picking up a turtle off a roadway, smoking, pissing in pants, in possession of a blue jay feather? And I had my machete in the trunk?....Electric Chair! My poor Sams Club underwear is taking a beating, and not in a good way!..

I beg mercy of the court!...Oh wait!..I also threw an apple at a hippy on a skateboard!! I knocked the patchouli out of that worthless turd! Theres gotta be a law somewhere against that right? Throwing apples at Hippys? Or a merit badge? Something? Plus saving the turtle...gotta be some points there a guy would think...

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #42  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:49 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
.... I beg mercy of the court!......
Well, since the crimes you listed are on par with A) Murder, B) metal detecting, and C) clubbing baby seals ..... Then no: We do not grant you mercy.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #43  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 12,353
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Well, since the crimes you listed are on par with A) Murder, B) metal detecting, and C) clubbing baby seals ..... Then no: We do not grant you mercy.
As I threw the apple, I hollered, "Get a Job!' at the Hippy..surely that falls under the the 'fair warning' auspices? Excuse me Tom, I gotta go, the petunias are looking a bit droopy and wilty and parched..I'm only one man, but I do the best I can.....

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #44  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Gaspipe Gaspipe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 363
Default

Originally Posted by A#1 View post
This sites code of ethics.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=639


Those applicable to this thread, you can choose to thumb your nose at them and do as you please......

- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.

- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.

- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.

- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.

Some of us choose the high road in life.....obviously less traffic.

I'm done with this.
I might as well as mothball my detector. You’ve got to be joking.
Reply With Quote


  #45  
Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Originally Posted by A#1 View post
.... - Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.,,,,.
This would be the absolute fastest way to get a litany of laws rolled out against us.

Historians and museums are often in league with archies. So to gleefully waltz in showing local historians and museums all sorts of goodies, will make them shudder with horror. The horror that rank & file civilians are "ripping items from their context". They would rush to get city councils to pass laws to stop such miscreant activity.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #46  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Rickdes Rickdes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Fenton, Michigan
Posts: 67
Default

Not only did I find the state park link for Michigan I learned Genesee County parks require a $20 yearly permit. I learned that by getting caught and warned. Now I have that as well.

__________________
Minelab equinox 800, 15 inch coil for my nox. Garrett pro pointer.

Not all who wander are lost.

Reply With Quote


  #47  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
FliesOnly FliesOnly is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Middle of Michigan
Posts: 101
Default

Sigh…A#1 makes a post that, from I stand, rings true. He supplies actual facts to support his claims and make reasonable assumptions based on the law. And for that he basically insulted, ridiculed, and taken out of context.
I live in Michigan and I live near a State Game Area. The place is a mess. Trash everywhere. Obvious 4-wheeler track on roads and trails that are clearly marked with “No Motor Vehicles Allowed” signs. Horse poop next to posted “No Horses Allowed” signs. Shotgun shells everywhere. Broken glass. You get the idea. So I agree with A#1…if there were no restrictions on metal detecting, I can pretty much guarantee you that the place would look even worse.
As for Mud-puppy’s concerns about public urination…well…technically it’s NOT necessarily illegal to urinate in public…one simply has to make a reasonable effort to conceal ones genitals and…you know…not take whiz in front of an elementary school or something. Seems reasonable to me.
And lastly, if you can’t grasp why it is now a federal crime to possess the feathers of non-game birds (with a few exceptions), maybe take it up with Passenger Pigeons. Oh wait…you can’t because A), they’re birds; and B) they’re extinct. Why? Well, we killed them all for the feathers.
Of course, I’m pretty sure that I too will now suffer the wrath of Tom and Puppy…oh the humanity!!!
Reply With Quote


  #48  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 12,353
Default

Dont worry about us or what we think....just get out and hunt on your own pleasure...take a wiz wherever you please, pick up feathers if you feel like it....Time waits for Nobody.....

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #49  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,006
Default

I respect posted signs, don't subscribe to the "what they don't know won't hurt them/ if a tree falls in the forest but there is no one there to hear it line of thinking", but to each his own...

I do agree that permission isn't required for public property such as school playgrounds, parks, athletic fields and so on, unless expressly stated.

I wouldn't think permission to detect/recover a target would be required in a place where far more damage could result from soccer cleats/dog !!!! and piss...

I would prosecute anyone caught trespassing on my private, legally posted land...

I will also grant permission to my property.

Just don't "Sage Grouse" me...

__________________
AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #50  
Old 06-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
... I wouldn't think permission to detect/recover a target would be required in a place where far more damage could result from soccer cleats/dog !!!! and piss.......
Bill, do you know what the difference is between md'rs, and Those guys who publicly urinate, and/or tear up grass with cleats ?

Here's the difference : The cleat people and public pee guys never went ask asked permission to do those things. If they had gone and asked the park dept : "Hi, can I please tear up the lawn with my cleats, then pee on the grass ?" Then they would have received a "no".

And then they too could go start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms.

Shame on them for not asking first , eh ?
Reply With Quote


  #51  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,006
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Bill, do you know what the difference is between md'rs, and Those guys who publicly urinate, and/or tear up grass with cleats ?

Here's the difference : The cleat people and public pee guys never went ask asked permission to do those things. If they had gone and asked the park dept : "Hi, can I please tear up the lawn with my cleats, then pee on the grass ?" Then they would have received a "no".

And then they too could go start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms.

Shame on them for not asking first , eh ?
you make a valid point in reference to public property where detecting isn't expressly forbidden.

__________________
AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #52  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:49 PM
FliesOnly FliesOnly is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Middle of Michigan
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
you make a valid point in reference to public property where detecting isn't expressly forbidden.
Wait...so you guys are saying that people playing soccer on a field designed for the playing of soccer would be denied permission to play soccer on said field if they had first asked ask permission to play soccer? Somehow I have my doubts.
As for public urination...technically permission has be asked of, and allowed by, the Courts (with some pretty self-explanatory guidelines, of course).
Reply With Quote


  #53  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Originally Posted by FliesOnly View post
Wait...so you guys are saying that people playing soccer on a field designed for the playing of soccer would be denied permission to play soccer on said field if they had first asked ask permission to play soccer? Somehow I have my doubts....
Flies-only : If the soccer players asked : "Hi. Can we play soccer ?" they would be told "yes". Because, ... it's a soccer field after all. Eh ?

But that would be asking the question in the wrong format . Instead they need to ask "Hi, can I tear up the soccer field with my cleats ?". Then they would be told "no".

So to apply this to md'ing : It is a little un-like soccer , to the mental connotations . No one makes the "cleat" connotations, when tasked with granting permission to soccer players. Right ? But md'ing, on-the-other-hand, DOES carry a connotation of "digging" or "holes". Right ? Even though, truth be told, each hobby/sport does equal damage.

Thus all we're saying is: Just like the soccer people .... or someone who takes a piss behind a bush "doesn't ask permission", so-too should the md'r not think he "needs permission" to do his activity. As long as it's not expressly specifically disallowed, that is.
Reply With Quote


  #54  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,006
Default

Originally Posted by FliesOnly View post
Wait...so you guys are saying that people playing soccer on a field designed for the playing of soccer would be denied permission to play soccer on said field if they had first asked ask permission to play soccer? Somehow I have my doubts.
As for public urination...technically permission has be asked of, and allowed by, the Courts (with some pretty self-explanatory guidelines, of course).
Nope. I'm saying if little Johnny is digging holes in the sand or ruining grass with his cleats, and I want to dig a hole in the sand or make a minor plug in the grass, ensuring I make an honest effort to restore it to its original state when finished retrieving a target, then why can Johnny do it without asking permission and I can't, as long as my actions are not expressly prohibited? Did Johnny ask permission?

__________________
AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #55  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Nope. I'm saying if little Johnny is digging holes in the sand or ruining grass with his cleats, and I want to dig a hole in the sand or make a minor plug in the grass, ensuring I make an honest effort to restore it to its original state when finished retrieving a target, then why can Johnny do it without asking permission and I can't, as long as my actions are not expressly prohibited? Did Johnny ask permission?
Good post. And put another way: Since when is md'ing so evil and dangerous that it "needs permission" , in the first place ? (unless specifically dis-allowed)

I happen to consider md'ing to be: Harmless, innocuous, healthy, nutritious, educational, beneficial, etc.... Hence not needing princely sanction from anyone.

Except, of course, if Mud-puppy does it. Then it's on par with clubbing baby seals
Reply With Quote


  #56  
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,006
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Good post. And put another way: Since when is md'ing so evil and dangerous that it "needs permission" , in the first place ? (unless specifically dis-allowed)

I happen to consider md'ing to be: Harmless, innocuous, healthy, nutritious, educational, beneficial, etc.... Hence not needing princely sanction from anyone.

Except, of course, if Mud-puppy does it. Then it's on par with clubbing baby seals
it isn't dangerous!

I have different views as far as knowingly detecting on private property without permission(trespassing), but to each his own....

Don't get me started on "Sage Grousing"!

happy hunting!

__________________
AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #57  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM
FliesOnly FliesOnly is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Middle of Michigan
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Flies-only : If the soccer players asked : "Hi. Can we play soccer ?" they would be told "yes". Because, ... it's a soccer field after all. Eh ?
But that would be asking the question in the wrong format . Instead they need to ask "Hi, can I tear up the soccer field with my cleats ?". Then they would be told "no".
Equating md’ing to tearing up a soccer field with cleats while…and once again let me stress this point…on a field DESIGNED for playing soccer (and hence allowing the wearing of the aforementioned cleats) is ridiculous. Here’s an idea…go to France, at the site of the Women’s World Cup and ask the owners of the soccer field if the team’s first needed permission to tear up the soccer field with their cleats before being allowed to compete. Wanna make a wager on whether or not teams were required to ask that question, or even if they did ask, that they were then denied permission?

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Even though, truth be told, each hobby/sport does equal damage.
Each hobby in no way does equal damage. Cleats, by design, pretty much tear up the surface. Md’ing goes deeper, wouldn’t you agree? If I dig a “plug” in a soccer field, remove my new found penny, and replace the plug, it does not instantaneously re-root itself. It takes a few days for the roots to once again become established and therefore hold the “plug” firmly in the ground. Until such time, it’s quite easy to once again “remove” that same plug.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Thus all we're saying is: Just like the soccer people .... or someone who takes a piss behind a bush "doesn't ask permission", so-too should the md'r not think he "needs permission" to do his activity. As long as it's not expressly specifically disallowed, that is.
Yes, a md’r should definitely ask permission before searching on a soccer field, if soccer season is ongoing. If you’re there after the season has been completed, then you would have a stronger argument in assuming you could detect without permission, since any plugs you dig would have plenty of time to grow and meld with the surrounding soil.
Reply With Quote


  #58  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM
FliesOnly FliesOnly is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Middle of Michigan
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Nope. I'm saying if little Johnny is digging holes in the sand or ruining grass with his cleats, and I want to dig a hole in the sand or make a minor plug in the grass, ensuring I make an honest effort to restore it to its original state when finished retrieving a target, then why can Johnny do it without asking permission and I can't, as long as my actions are not expressly prohibited?
Because he's playing soccer on a field created for the playing of soccer.
You're essentially making the "Why can't I punch somebody in the face and not get in trouble, when a hockey player can do it [during a game]?" argument.

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Did Johnny ask permission?
It's quite possible that he [indirectly] did when he signed up to play on the soccer league/team.
Reply With Quote


  #59  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,967
Default

Flies-only, interesting feedback. Let me respond:

Originally Posted by FliesOnly View post
.....…on a field DESIGNED for playing soccer (and hence allowing the wearing of the aforementioned cleats) ....
Hhhmm, well yes, I *do* agree that .... even though cleats can cause damage, yet it's silly to "ask permission". Since, as you say, the specific use of the field is (doh) for soccer.

But does this assume, therefore, that a field needs-to-be designated for a particular use , in order to use it ? And if *not* "designated" for a particular use, then .... a person should acquire permission ? If so, I have an issue with this line of logic. Because :

a) there is never such a thing as a "metal detecting" field . Ie.: a field or lawn set-aside specifically for the purpose of md'ing. Right ?

b) Then so too would we have to assume that other "non-soccer" uses .... likewise .... "need permission". Eg.: if someone were to fly a kite on soccer field. Or bird-watch on a soccer field, etc....

c) But we can both agree that kite-flying and bird-watching don't need no permission . Even though they are not the action of "playing soccer". Because they are innocuous and harmless. Right ? Thus your premise relies on a presumption that : "MD'ing = harmful and damaging". Right ?

So .... :

Originally Posted by FliesOnly View post
....Each hobby in no way does equal damage. Cleats, by design, pretty much tear up the surface. Md’ing goes deeper, wouldn’t you agree? If I dig a “plug” in a soccer field, remove my new found penny, and replace the plug, it does not instantaneously re-root itself. It takes a few days for the roots to once again become established and therefore hold the “plug” firmly in the ground. .....
d) Aaahhh, now the truth comes out. It is clear that your premise is that md'ing is harmful and damaging. If so, then Yes: Everything you're saying does logically follow.

But I disagree with this premise. I can retrieve coins (yes, even deep ones) and do less damage than cleats. Assuming I'm not digging in dry earth (such that roots don't take re-hold, in brittle crumbly dry soil). As long as I go @ the moist season (or a normal watered/irrigated lawn), then: I am able to leave practically no trace.

I have returned, a few days later, to locations where I've gone turf hunting. And studied to see if I can find my prior spots. And .... unless it were pointed out to someone, I can honestly say you would not be able to see the spots. MD'rs "knock themselves silly" to cover their tracks (or ... at least .... they're supposed to). Contrast to soccer players and it's a given that they don't lift a finger when they're done.

Thus I disagree with your premise that md'rs *of necessity* do more damage that other types of park usage.

But yes: If someone is "doing damage", then sure: By all means: Show up at city hall and ask away.
Reply With Quote


  #60  
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,006
Default

Originally Posted by FliesOnly View post
Because he's playing soccer on a field created for the playing of soccer.
You're essentially making the "Why can't I punch somebody in the face and not get in trouble, when a hockey player can do it [during a game]?" argument.

It's quite possible that he [indirectly] did when he signed up to play on the soccer league/team.
Is a kid wearing baseball cleats allowed to walk across a soccerfield if he doesnt play on the Soccer team?

__________________
AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.