Three George Washington's--Silvers #14, 15, 16

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
It has been a while since I posted. I just been finding the usual boat load of clad and a few single silvers here and there.

But today my luck changed. I went back to this abandon school, that yesterday, I had found $18.00 in clad and 1/2 of a sterling silver spoon there.

Today, I searched the front of the school and found three GW quarters: '39-D, '61-D & '64, two silver rings and five dog condition wheaties. The quarters are all very heavily discolored. I even tried to clean them with Bartenders Keeper cleaner which did not work.

With these three quarters my silver count FTY is at 16.

Thanks for stopping by to read my post!

Attachments

• Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 001.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 002.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 002.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 358
  • Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 003.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 004.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 004.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 360
  • Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 005.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 005.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 376
  • Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 006.jpg
    Coins Silvers 12-14 04132019 006.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
That is some fantastic hunting John. A two day total of near $30 in clad is very impressive but when you count in the Silver, the Sterling plus the Wheat's it is just plain outstanding. Congrats on the 3 Silver GW's, the 2 Sterling Rings and the Sterling Soon Handle plus all the rest. Trapper

Thank you!

Very nice finds!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks...Due to the stained condition I did not realize that I had found three silvers quarters until I got home.

Killin it! Way to go on the silvers!!!!!

Thank you...It has been lean out here lately finding silvers.

You killed it.
Nice ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks...The rings were found in the more bad to get areas such as under some over grown bushes.

Excellent finds Jak! Nice finds

Thanks...I was sure overdue to finding some silver and gratefully it came in yesterday.

My best is two Washington’s in one hunt.. WTG!

Thanks...Only back in the very early days did I find more GW's in one hunt. It is always a special treat for me to find those quarters instead of dimes.

That is some fantastic hunting John. A two day total of near $30 in clad is very impressive but when you count in the Silver, the Sterling plus the Wheat's it is just plain outstanding. Congrats on the 3 Silver GW's, the 2 Sterling Rings and the Sterling Soon Handle plus all the rest. Trapper

Thanks Trapper...The reverse side of those quarters are like permanently stained/discolored. The soil ground conditions at the school were really deteriorating the coins. All the coins were deeper and all have the rust color on them. It is obvious the school due to iets age has been cherry picked already of all the silvers and high conductors, but i glad to find those quarters but not even one merc. I been having to travel further out to find these places to hunt.

I love that wire wrapped ring

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks...It is still a trill for me to find any ring but two silvers is even better.

Thank you!

Great finds! I would love to find a GW, let alone 3! :cool3:

Thanks...It is really strange how things turn out sometimes. Most days I don't get silver or may be a merc or two, but three GWs in one day, makes me want to take the next three days off from hunting.

Last edited:
Nice! I've dug only 1 silver quarter this year. Cant seem to get over any. 3 in one hunt is really quite a great outing.

Nice haul John. That's a boatload of clad. Congrats on the Gws and rings. Zymol cleaner wax works great on silver, aluminum, war nickels as well. Glad to see your back at it. Good luck. HH Mark

Thank you!

Grats on multi silvers. My best was 2 GW's in a days hunt.

Thanks...I was very surprise too as to find not one, not two but three GWs in one day.

Nice! I've dug only 1 silver quarter this year. Cant seem to get over any. 3 in one hunt is really quite a great outing.

Thanks....since I got the NOX I been finding mostly silver dimes. Two of these quarters were masked with nearby zincs and a pull-tab. And the interesting part is, the very first two finds of the day were two of these quarters.

What a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks yooper69...I just hope I can have the same success in future hunts.

Nice haul John. That's a boatload of clad. Congrats on the Gws and rings. Zymol cleaner wax works great on silver, aluminum, war nickels as well. Glad to see your back at it. Good luck. HH Mark

Thanks Mark...this year has been good to me again with the clad count. I started the year of good with silver coins too, then I hit this drought period, but still were still finding some silver jewelry. Thanks for the suggestion with the Zymol. I never seen anything like how badly stained/tarnished the reverse side of these quarters are. In fact, when they all came out of the ground, I first thought they were clad due to the discoloration.

That's a killer hunt right there, congrats! Is that pin silver too?

Thanks...I had a lucky day. That pin I thought was gold or even gold filled. But after cleaning it up I found no makings and it looks cheap close-up too...so it is plated junk like many of the other hopeful pieces I find.

A GREAT way to clean silver using a non abrasive method is: Line a bowl with tin foil. Put 1/4" baking soda in it, lay the coin dirty side up on it. Cover the coin with another 1/4" baking soda, then add boiling water slowly from the side. Let sit 15 minutes, then pick up & gently rub through your fingers. Comes out VERY clean!

Back
Top Bottom