Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Kid's Detector Advice

I have two kids that are getting detectors this year at Christmas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the White's Coinmaster or Garrett Ace 200. Price is a factor since I'm not sure that they will stick with it and I don't want to just waste money.

We are in NW Florida and I expect we will spend most time doing the beach and park areas with occasional trips to North Georgia. I realize that neither of these can be used in the wet salt/sand but should be just fine on the dry towel line. I realize the Compadre is a great detector at that price range, my kids have a better chance of staying with it if it has buttons and a screen so it is what it is.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Supporter

I don't know about the Whites but on the Garrett 200 you'll be wasting money right out of the gate unless you get a hell of a deal on them like 1/2 price. Beaches are rough for any entry level detector, and limited by single frequency. Really it's not the right equipment for the job. I'd think you should find a more suitable place for them to hunt like strictly the parks you mentioned, where they can be successful with entry level gear and keep their interest up rather than getting frustrated by something trivial like mineralization. Either that or literally "buck up" for gear they at least have a chance at being successful with in such a tough environment. Tough situation but ultimately it's about your kids happiness. Good luck in finding a happy medium that works!

Do diligent research on prices you can get and features they need/won't. You can find REALLY good deals but they won't come without scouring for them.

Here are some options that might help:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...tal-detectors/

Old 11-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Yep, totally agree that kids need the interface and feedback from a screen.

Not sure if there is anything close in price but I'd suggest a detector with ground balance. My kids started off similiar but lost interest with jumpy and false signals. When I let them use my CZ, Explorer, and CTX, they started asking to go hunting.

Just a quick ramble....Eh, also fair to say some really take an interest while others do not. A big part of that is how much time you spend to practice seeded hunts and teach them. If they get in a lull, consider buying a few scrap SSTL rings off the beach hunters, plant them ahead of time and watch your kids interest really peak! =).

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Whites XVenture may be worth a look ..pretty simple.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 11-08-2017, 04:43 PM

I gave my 9 year old son a Tekentics Digitek for Christmas last year. I played with it a bit and think it is a nice detector for the price. I am not sure how old you kids are but for my son this detector should cover his needs for a long time.

https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/prod...ectors/digitek

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

Go-Find series maybe?

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MrNovice View post
I don't know about the Whites but on the Garrett 200 you'll be wasting money right out of the gate unless you get a hell of a deal on them like 1/2 price. Beaches are rough for any entry level detector, and limited by single frequency. Really it's not the right equipment for the job. I'd think you should find a more suitable place for them to hunt like strictly the parks you mentioned, where they can be successful with entry level gear and keep their interest up rather than getting frustrated by something trivial like mineralization. Either that or literally "buck up" for gear they at least have a chance at being successful with in such a tough environment. Tough situation but ultimately it's about your kids happiness. Good luck in finding a happy medium that works!

Do diligent research on prices you can get and features they need/won't. You can find REALLY good deals but they won't come without scouring for them.

Here are some options that might help:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electro...tal-detectors/
Like I said, they won't be going in the wet sand here. I have an old single frequency detector and I do really well in the dry sand. There are parks around and they are just Ok for the most part due to the high amount of trash in them. When I was my sons age, I got out with my grandfather's detector and was hooked. I think I may have another two that are going to follow in my footsteps....literally.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

My 9yr old uses a Teknetics Eurotek pro ..if she decides not to detect anymore I'm keeping it for myself. Lol

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DestinEngineer View post
Like I said, they won't be going in the wet sand here. I have an old single frequency detector and I do really well in the dry sand. There are parks around and they are just Ok for the most part due to the high amount of trash in them. When I was my sons age, I got out with my grandfather's detector and was hooked. I think I may have another two that are going to follow in my footsteps....literally.
Sounds good! David had a great idea with the seeded hunts, just to hook em and reel em in slow. Don't want their expectations to get to high, but enough for them to not get bored with it either.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:35 PM

The teknetics minuteman is close to that price range and seems to have pretty good reviews.

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $81.97

Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Sponsor

Default Great Kids Detector / Teknetics Digitek

I have two kids that are getting detectors this year at Christmas. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the White's Coinmaster or Garrett Ace 200. Price is a factor since I'm not sure that they will stick with it and I don't want to just waste money.

We are in NW Florida and I expect we will spend most time doing the beach and park areas with occasional trips to North Georgia. I realize that neither of these can be used in the wet salt/sand but should be just fine on the dry towel line. I realize the Compadre is a great detector at that price range, my kids have a better chance of staying with it if it has buttons and a screen so it is what it is.

Great Kids Detector, Great Price

http://www.metaldetectors.com/kids-m...metal-detector

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Supporter

Buy the Compadres.

If having buttons and a screen is what they're interested in, instead of finding things, cut your losses and keep a higher resale value.

I'd buy 1, let them share....15 minutes at turn, then switch until you determine a 2nd purchase in necessary/needed.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:57 AM

I'd recommend the Teknetics Digitek ,regularly $179 but now $129 with coupon code from an authorized dealer or TekneticsDirect.com has a place on site click get coupon.

It has large numerical ID 1-99; iron, foil, nickel, pulltab, zinc can be selectively notched out if desired. Single 9V alkaline battery lasts up to 25 hours; 1/4" headphone jack; has low tone for iron & medium tone for nickel and zinc if nor rejected; 2 digit depth reading in non-motion VCO pinpoint; 7" concentric coil for easier pinpointing and better rejection of bottlecaps than typical DD coils. Has a volume control 1-10 & sensitivity 1-10.

Shallow/medium/deep depth indicator while searching; fast target response to detect a coin close to trash; proprietary circuitry cancels out minerals in most soil types, won't work on wet salt and red iron ore soil may cause overload sound & symbol. Sale may end at end of November, according to 1 dealer.

Detects coins to 9 inches. ID will be pretty accurate in most soils for most coins at shallow to moderate depths. Weighs 2.3 lbs. 5 year warranty to original owner (non-transferrable). See You Tube video by TheHunterGT. Best wishes.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by George (MN) View post
I'd recommend the Teknetics Digitek ,regularly $179 but now $129 with coupon code from an authorized dealer or TekneticsDirect.com has a place on site click get coupon.

It has large numerical ID 1-99; iron, foil, nickel, pulltab, zinc can be selectively notched out if desired. Single 9V alkaline battery lasts up to 25 hours; 1/4" headphone jack; has low tone for iron & medium tone for nickel and zinc if nor rejected; 2 digit depth reading in non-motion VCO pinpoint; 7" concentric coil for easier pinpointing and better rejection of bottlecaps than typical DD coils. Has a volume control 1-10 & sensitivity 1-10.

Shallow/medium/deep depth indicator while searching; fast target response to detect a coin close to trash; proprietary circuitry cancels out minerals in most soil types, won't work on wet salt and red iron ore soil may cause overload sound & symbol. Sale may end at end of November, according to 1 dealer.

Detects coins to 9 inches. ID will be pretty accurate in most soils for most coins at shallow to moderate depths. Weighs 2.3 lbs. 5 year warranty to original owner (non-transferrable). See You Tube video by TheHunterGT. Best wishes.
Yep there is no better detecting value than a digitek on sale for $129. period

if you're over 5'6" I'd get the 26" longer rod for when you use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

discount code A1466 |
|
|

Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

I understand how hard it is to keep kids interested,trust me...I have 3. Having a machine with lights and horns that LIES to them is going to be detrimental. Having one of those types of machines AND a Compadre,and letting them switch off,may teach them something about life in general. Itís not all about looks...and sometimes itís just better to listen. It will be VERY hard to beat a Compadre,unless it wonít work AT ALL where youíre going.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:38 PM

I bought my Grandkids a Deteknix Quest Q20 a couple weeks ago. Target ID, IP66 waterproof, light weight, build in USB cable rechargeable battery etc. Made to work well in salt water. For the price I couldn't find a detector with more features that would work well on beaches and not be to complicated or expensive. They learned how to operate it quickly, and are having fun with it. Seems very well made and adjusts easily from adult to kid height lengths. No issues or negatives. Even came with headphones. Instruction were useless, but if you have experience, you'd have no trouble figuring it out and teaching kids how to use it.