Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Wow thats a beautiful ring! Great find

Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

what a beautiful ring!!! congrats!!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Dat is een mooie vondst Rob

Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by beest View post
Dat is een mooie vondst Rob
Not my find unfortunately

Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM

would think it was very expensive to buy when new . maybe he was from a wealthy family

Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ex_libris View post
Not my find unfortunately
Dč zeej ik toch ôk nie, jonguh

Still a nice find, like i said before

And nice to hear from you again.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

That things gorgeous!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM

A remarkable outcome for a similar item. Read the story below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...l?ir=Good+News

Regards,
Simon

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

The airplane on the ring is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Germans called it the Fork Tailed Devil

Last edited by Laxsaltman; 08-20-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: forgot "it"

Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM

The person it belonged to is probably gone now...

That's an amazing find, the stuff of dreams...

Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Elite Member

Why are you convinced this is from a crash site? Has there ever been anything at this location? Temporary soldier housing? Parade field? Headquarters site? R&R site? Is it a spot people would visit for the view?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 AM

Dear fellow hunters,

A friend of me found this 10k golden ring in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. It was found a few miles from the landing place where the 101st Airborn division landed on 17 september 1944 because of Operation Market Garden. Can anyone help me identify this ring?

The texts on the ring:

Front: United States Army, Air Force
Side 1: Pilot
Side 2: Freeman field SEA FTC(?) and Prepare for Combat

Here are all the pics I made of the ring:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10583...CLPppsfupIu8Lg

My grandfather passed down his ring to me which looks quite similar to this one. From my understanding he was part of the 100th group which I believe is refereed to the Bloody Hundredth Brigade group. Lt Kenneth Houghton, there is a pretty cool site with some other names and pictures on there.
Oh it says the he was POW, but, he was never captured. That is the only story he had ever told me about.

I guess he must have known he was going to pass it along to me and had my birth stone placed in it. Not sure if that helps or anything, but if anyone has any information on mine or his I would really appreciate it. Unfortunately my grandfather passed a few years ago at the age of 98. That being said, for most of my life that I can remember he was not too talkative or unable to. So again any information on the ring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything. My ring has been worn down alittle, hopefully still clear enough.

Name:  IMG_1612.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1609.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  33.2 KB

Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Awesome find! Good luck in your search.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Greetings, folks...

Sorry to do a "thread necro" on this, but I thought I'd stop in and say hi. I'm not a metal detector hobbyist, but I am a WWII buff and was doing some research on pilot rings when an image search on similar rings brought me to this thread.

After looking at it, and checking records, that ring almost certainly belonged to:

Captain Robert R. Nelson. <---(Link)

His information is on the page linked to his name. He was an F-5 pilot. The F-5 was the unarmed, photo recon version of the P-38 lightning. Note the record shows he was shot down at Eindhoven-Gestel, at 11am, 8 June 1944.

That type of ring was quite common among the pilots. They could have a stone set in it, most likely a birthstone. If they chose not to, the face would be engraved, as in this example.

In reading the posts in the thread, I can't see any reasonable alternative to this being Captain Nelson's ring. Everything fits just too well. Hope this helps, if the search for information is still going on.

-Irish

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by O'Donovan View post
Greetings, folks...

Sorry to do a "thread necro" on this, but I thought I'd stop in and say hi. I'm not a metal detector hobbyist, but I am a WWII buff and was doing some research on pilot rings when an image search on similar rings brought me to this thread.

After looking at it, and checking records, that ring almost certainly belonged to:

His information is on the page linked to his name. He was an F-5 pilot. The F-5 was the unarmed, photo recon version of the P-38 lightning. Note the record shows he was shot down at Eindhoven-Gestel, at 11am, 8 June 1944.

That type of ring was quite common among the pilots. They could have a stone set in it, most likely a birthstone. If they chose not to, the face would be engraved, as in this example.

In reading the posts in the thread, I can't see any reasonable alternative to this being Captain Nelson's ring. Everything fits just too well. Hope this helps, if the search for information is still going on.

-Irish
Awesome information. I hope the original poster sees this. Thank you

Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 AM
"Can Do" Moderator

Originally Posted by O'Donovan View post
Greetings, folks...

-Irish
Awesome first post Irish!!

The OP of this thread has not been on the Forum since August, but I will send him a PM and hope he is still around!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 PM

amazing info Irish. I bet his family would be ecstatic to get a memory like that.

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $64.87

Last edited by DiggerMD; 11-11-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Read better

Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

This is so cool !!!!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

Best reason I’ve ever seen to dig up a old thread! This would be amazing if it was solved and returned to the family. The power of the ole interweb is real! Thank you for joining and sharing this info O’Donovan!!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Top View post
The U.S. Airforce was formed in 1947. Prior to that the U.S. Army Aircorp was our flyers. The ring is not WWII based on the dates. Although it shows older planes, the construction looks newer. Just some thoughts.... Top U.S. Army Retired.
You're missing a bit of history of the United States Army Air Forces:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...rmy_Air_Forces

The United States Army Air Forces (USAAF or AAF) was the military aviation service of the United States of America during and immediately after World War II (1939/41-1945), successor to the previous United States Army Air Corps and the direct predecessor of the United States Air Force of today, one of the five uniformed military services. The AAF was a component of the United States Army, which in 1942 was divided functionally by executive order into three autonomous forces: the Army Ground Forces, the Services of Supply (which in 1943 became the Army Service Forces), and the Army Air Forces.

The Army Air Forces was created in June 1941

The United States Air Force (USAF) was formed as a separate branch of the U.S. Armed Forces on 18 September 1947

That dates the ring between June 1941 and September 1947.

It's absolutely, definitely, and positively the right time period for the location.