Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Question Detector mounted pinpointer holder

Was thinking it would be nice to mount my pinpointer on the arm under the control box on my detector. Ive seen people use the stock holster on the arm brace area before but seen the little plastic clips on ebay that mount to the detector arm and the pointer clips into it.

Anyone use these? Does it make the detector too heavy? I have a light vaquero so dont think it would be a problem.

Any opinions on these?

Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Supporter

I think if you try it, you'll find it's more convenient to keep in your pouch. If I'm kneeling to dig, I'll either just keep my digger and PP in my left hand, or pull both from the pouch at the same time I kneel.

You can make a holster from 1" PVC, and put a 1/2" slot in it to pinch the hump where the light is, to prevent it from being lost. Or I'd tether it to my detector. I'd be afraid of losing it.

Forgot I had pics, just the PP holster, I can invert it, shake it, and PP will stay in place. A couple zip ties or some electrical tape it to the shaft would make for easy removal if you decide you didn't care to carry it that way.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

What pinpointer has a clip?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

I attached holders on all of my machines but removed them after a short time. I found they did add additional weight and it was inconvenient for me to use.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
What pinpointer has a clip?
This is what im referring to, they are all over ebay. I got 2 for $10 so no big deal if I dont like them.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by deezdrama View post
This is what im referring to, they are all over ebay. I got 2 for $10 so no big deal if I dont like them.
Gauntlet's photo of a pinpointer has a clip. Completely different from what you are talking about.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

I just keep mine in my finds pouch. Easy to find, easy to get. I had a Sunray DX-1 on my rig, but took it off due to weight constraints. The V3i is neither light, nor particularly well balanced.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
Gauntlet's photo of a pinpointer has a clip. Completely different from what you are talking about.
Optical illusion, that's the light hump on a Garrett PP. It slides into a snug fitting clot in the 1" PVC.

Better pic showing slot

Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Supporter

The added weight on the arm of the detector will tire you far more quickly than the convenience is worth.

Detector manufacturers work hard to keep the weight out of the system, and to toss an extra 6.35 ounces (I just weighed my Garrett Pro Pointer AT) + whatever the clip is onto the arm really will make a difference in a lengthy hunt.

Not sure what you gain by putting it there, instead of on your hip or just holding it in your free hand (which is what I do with both my Lesche and pin pointer... I never have to "retrieve" either.) Plus it's wicked fast to drop and recover with it already in your free hand.

Bonus, too is the fact if the pin pointer is held butt end against the Lesche, it's not triggered in the detection field. It works.

Skippy

Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

My pin pointer is on the arm cuff of my CTX and I love it there personally. I found a “night ize light holster” for a flashlight for less then $10 at Home Depot. It has a clip on it and no bottom to fill or hold dirt. It holds all pin pointers very securely and they won’t fall out. I switched to this one after one fell out of my stock holster. It can go on your detector, belt, finds pouch or where ever because of the clip.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Nite-Ize-Lite...SAAEgLQIPD_BwE

Old 11-13-2017, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

I think a flash light clip from a bike store might work