Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Elite Member

Default At max

Just had my at max out in the test garden,and if anyone is curious about the depth of this machine,,in all metal with a 5x8 coil it hit coins in my mineralized Pennsylvania soil that NO other machine Iíve owned could.And Iím not hyping this machine up at all,I personally donít see anything on the market getting the depth with good ID as the At max,or getting the depth period.
Disc mode is great too,but all metal is just unbelievable.With a 5x8 I would put this machine against any machine made,regardless of what size coil your using,I believe the at max with the 5x8 would flat out dust it.At least thatís my result,and Iíve had just about everything out there,and they couldnít touch my 12 inch merc..At max hits it without even trying in all metal.For fields or less trashy places where all metal can be used,itís a unmatched machine in my soil.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Supporter

I have to agree with you, the AT Max in all metal is DEEEEEEP! I have owned several AT Pros and made some nice finds with them BUT the Max is just plain better. Have not had my 5X8 on yet but I expect the same results you have seen based on what I have observed from it so far.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Default AT Max

I agree. I was surprised there is no loss in depth with the 5x8 vs 8.5x11. Allows you to separate the target signals much easier. Quickly becoming my #1 coil for my AT Max.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

I'd sure take it to those previously hunted areas and find some keepers that you may have missed in the past. HH

Old 11-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Contemplating new coil options.

I'm trying to decide what coil to try next with my AT MAX. Trying to decide between the 5x8 or the NEL THUNDER. Others have mentioned that the NEL separates better than the stock DD and covers more ground. Some say that the 5x8 is less noisy, separates great too. I'm torn. Need to decide what to ask Santa for! I typically hunt churches with minimal trash, but I do hit the parks too. I love the All METAL mode, but find looking at the display makes me dizzy because there is no tone difference in All METAL. I usually run in zero to hear the high tones. If I hear a slight squeak, I'll switch to All METAL to investigate further.

1911 Barber Quarter and 1889 Seated Dime

Old 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM

my mx sport will hit them I bet, it pulls crazy deep signals.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Supporter

O yeah Iíve nailed 12 inch plus in Tennessee old wheats in saturated loose ground in all metal. Max is really deep in deed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Elite Member

Red face

Originally Posted by tpmetal View post
my mx sport will hit them i bet, it pulls crazy deep signals.
go sport

Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
I'm trying to decide what coil to try next with my AT MAX. Trying to decide between the 5x8 or the NEL THUNDER. Others have mentioned that the NEL separates better than the stock DD and covers more ground. Some say that the 5x8 is less noisy, separates great too. I'm torn. Need to decide what to ask Santa for! I typically hunt churches with minimal trash, but I do hit the parks too. I love the All METAL mode, but find looking at the display makes me dizzy because there is no tone difference in All METAL. I usually run in zero to hear the high tones. If I hear a slight squeak, I'll switch to All METAL to investigate further.
Just buy them both then you can sell whichever one you do not use