Oy! A great zincoln hunt ruined by Silver Quarter...Again!

scaupus

just kidding about the zincs. As some may know from my earlier posts about research, last year I had been testing a theory of mine as to where to find silver coins consistently; my goal had been to find at least one silver coin each weekend that I tried.

Initially, my research had been limited to 3 adjacent cities- Miami, Coral Gables and South Miami. I had developed a research formula that was tagging productive sites with amazing accuracy. In October, my research was interrupted by business - I had to concentrate on making holiday sales.

Then, with the coming of the New Year, I switched to hunting for gold, with happy results: 4 gold rings in 5 months, a 2 oz sterling chain, bracelets, anklet, 1942 Lone Ranger pin, silver ear studs, very small sterling rings, etc. Some interesting and different coins too - 2 indian heads, a silver nickel, buffalos. All this came from digging mid-range frequencies. Obviously, I dug a lot of tabs and slaw, too.

When summer started, I tried to transition into water hunting at the beach, but the long expensive drives in my gas guzzling Dodge SUV to the beach from the Everglades where I live; difficulty with the used water detectors i bought; and swallowing too much sea water snorkeling with a defective snorkel kept me from getting in the time I needed to. The summer began and I still did not have a reliable water machine. At the same time, I had sort of run out of productive parks near my house to search for gold, having exhausted one and been kicked out of another.

Well, I had made one silver run near the end of May because I could not resist what looked like a great site to hunt (found the Barber quarter there), and then by the end of June I decided I might as well return to hunting silver coins for awhile, since I was sort of dead-ended in the gold hunt. I'm really happy I did, because I've been finding just as much silver as last year. I hunted 3 old sites that I had hunted last year, and picked up 10 more silver coins from them including a Barber dime and a Washington quarter. Then...and this is exciting...using the same research formula as I had used in southwest dade (miami/coral gables/s. miami), I selected new sites in Hollywood and Miami Springs, and I dug up 7 more silver coins, 3 of which were quarters (including the one in May, and the one just this Sunday). Most of the new sites exactly fit the same parameters that had worked so well in Miami. I'm beginning to think this research method will work in most cities.

Yesterday, I was in Hollywood again. I was having a terrible time with detector noise, until I remembered that I had increased the AC Sensitivity on my Spectrum Eagle detector while I had been hunting in an open field, far from the madding crowds. But in Hollywood, surrounded by civilization's EMFs, I finally remembered that I had to dial it back. I backed it off to 55, then walked the setting up to where it just started to barely make noise at 64, and voila! Detector was once again behaving beautifully.

Within a few minutes after that adjustment i found this silver quarter.

This weekend in Hollywood:
1948quarter9-16-12hollywood-1.jpg

Here's the record since starting on silver again this summer:

Last weekend in Miami (8th & 9th Sept):
rosies9-89-12.jpg

2 Weeks before that in Miami Springs (8/25/12):
8-25-121934quarter1954drosiemsgs.jpg

Week before that in Miami (8/18/12) a quarter & 2 mercs, and the Barber dime the week before that on 8/11/12:
2dimesquarterfound28rd8-18-12-33-1.jpg

In Miami (7/26/12), a 1905 V nickel,
libertynickel.jpg

(7/22/12) a quarter in Miami Springs:
soitquimal-1.jpg

(7/15/12) in Hollywood:
coinsdug7-15-12hllwd.jpg

(7/8/12) in Miami (Spring Garden):
1941merc7-8-1233c.jpg

(7/1/12) in Coral Gables:
WASHQUARTER2DIMES7-2-12.jpg

May 26, 2012, Hollywood:

33-may26-72012.jpg

WOW --- you have the formula. I have never been in the dirt in those places. I hit the beaches over the summer and the parks when the beach was barren.

congrats on your finds... Glad someone is finding silver coins in south Florida.. I been detecting for almost 3 years here and only found 2 silver coins... I need to expand my searching :D

Those are some great finds over the past few months. As has been stated, you have an effective formula! I love your Barber quarter. I'm still looking for my first and I can't wait until I find it.

good luck

Those are some great finds over the past few months. As has been stated, you have an effective formula! I love your Barber quarter. I'm still looking for my first and I can't wait until I find it.

good luck, you've found just about everything else! I had no intention of finding one, never imagined finding one down here in s. florida. It just totally blew my mind, as did the barber dimes and the barber nickel (v nickel, also a barber design). Ok, the last barber dime it was becoming not so much a shock anymore.

I was wondering, with all the people that are gone, and the properties unattended, y'all in Pittsburgh must be having a field day!

Back
Top Bottom