Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Default Fisher F4 or F5

After using my new Fisher F4 for the past month, I'm already feeling like I need something more advanced. Should I throw in the towel just for the manual ground balance in discrimination mode (F5) or stick to my guns? I have hunted several different types of places and overall haven't found anything deeper than 4" (except for large iron junk). I have permission to detect some very awesome places to only find clad 4" down. Trust me, I know whats possibly down there 6"+, but I'm not sure if I'm getting there.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Have you tried the manual gb in all metal mode with the f4 or is there too much trash where you're hunting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not sure what to buy? Try Our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spring Fling Promo: Try Any Detector for 30 Days!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coin Striker View Post
After using my new Fisher F4 for the past month, I'm already feeling like I need something more advanced. Should I throw in the towel just for the manual ground balance in discrimination mode (F5) or stick to my guns? I have hunted several different types of places and overall haven't found anything deeper than 4" (except for large iron junk). I have permission to detect some very awesome places to only find clad 4" down. Trust me, I know whats possibly down there 6"+, but I'm not sure if I'm getting there.
How hot are you able to run sensitivity?

405-206-9010

Authorized

Minelab partner of the year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't go from a f4 to an f5, i went from an f2 to an f5 and glad I have two machines.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM

I have been detecting a very large fairground that has been there since the early 50's. I'm running the sensitivity at whatever it is set at when you turn it on and discriminating iron, foil, pt and sc. It is quite trashy and I spend alot of time going back and forth over "shifty" signals to make sure that its trash and not something worth digging. I haven't had a good signal at 6"+ that has been something good though. Over the past weekend I received a set of Killer B Stingers so hopefully they will help better than the cheap pair of earbuds I have been using.