Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Permission from bank?

Hi there,
So there is this abandoned piece of property by me, it's been empty for a good 10-20 years. I looked up some old pictures and there was 3 houses on it, i'm not sure if they are all still standing because of the tree cover there and i've heard from some old timers that the property was owned by a recluse who ended up dying with no family and now the bank has been trying to sell the property as long as I can remember. My question is, if I call the bank do you think they are likely to give permisson? Or do you think they'd be too scared for liability reasons? Any suggestions on how I should word it or approach the whole situation that might help me in getting a positive outcome? Thanks!

~Josh~

Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Banks are so complex I wouldn't even know who to ask. The one thing I do know is banks are getting in some trouble for their properties looking like !!!! lately. Maybe try a "I'll cut the grass" or "I'll be helping by picking up any trash I see" kind of approach. This would prevent them from having to pay someone else to do it, and banks like their money!

The way I've approached permission in the past was to send an email stating you will be following the code of ethics and list things you will do and won't do. Stress that the lawn won't look like a mine field when you're done.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Elite Member

Tell 'em you may be interested in paying cash but you need to spend some time on-site first. There will probably be a red carpet waiting on you when you get there (JUST KIDDING).

Good luck...banks have such a silly pecking order that I doubt you'll ever get a straight answer.

BUT....call in the morning (not too early so they have a chance to settle in) and ask for the real estate department manager. They would probably be the go-to person to ask.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

I found an old property and discovered it was owned by some sort of property investment company. When I contacted them I was told that their policy is that no one is allowed on their properties for liability reasons. I suspect you'll get a similar answer, however, it can never hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is you may be turned down.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Elite Member

I called a bank and just asked them if I could talk to the one in charge of the foreclosed homes. I left a message asking to detect. No response, so I called a week later and left another message. He called me the next morning and told me to go ahead. He said the only problem I would have was with their maintenance guy, but he had already e-mailed him to let him know what I would be doing. It pays to ask, you just never know. No silver, but I ended up with 2 wheat pennies and over $12.00 in change from the yard. Also got a gold plated ring there too.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

"Do you have an account with us?"

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Well I called and asked and got the usual it's a liability response, I figured as much but it was worth a try. Too bad I had high hopes for that property. Thank you for the responses though!

~Josh~

Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

It's only one bank. There may be others that will let you. I have been given access to the most unexpected places that I never thought I would be given access to. If you don't ask, you never will get on a property. If you ask, you might. Better odds when you ask.