Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

Well I encourage anyone who can to come out here to Europe and hunt with us. Hunting here is awesome! I hunt in all metal mode here most of the time because you just never know what you are going to find. Heading to the states will be downright heartbreaking for me. Luckily I have made some awesome friends here who will take me in for a couple weeks at a time and flying back from San Antonio is free for me because I will be a military dependant.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyp99 View Post
Was an awesome weekend! Kolby, did you figure out what the shotgun piece with the deer head is? Where is the percussive cap on it?
No bud I havent found out where that shotshell came from. I am hoping Turtlefoot will chime in sometime and look it up in his little black book...lol

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

Amazing!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

That was some great coins you've found!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
THE JUICE

great story and amazing finds, those coins are incredible

Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Absolutely an AMAZING post. I will be watching this thread as well !

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Elite Member

Thanks guys! I have found some pretty neat stuff but this is something that I will never forget! I hope they can match the DNA with one of the families...only time will tell

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Elite Member

Exactly!! Did they give you a case number? If you would like to PM me I would be happy to contact the Department of Defense here to make sure that the connection is being made. If they are dragging their feet, it is also possible to contact the private organizations who engage in this kind of research and who have the proper contacts inside government agencies to move things along.
Either way, you and your mates may be bringing peace to a family who only knows that their son was missing in action, or presumed dead.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolby72 View Post
At this point I know removing the bones we found was the right move. The wild hogs are out in full force and since we dug new holes I could just see the hogs digging around trying to get to the roots and destroying any hope of getting a good DNA sample.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
Exactly!! Did they give you a case number? If you would like to PM me I would be happy to contact the Department of Defense here to make sure that the connection is being made. If they are dragging their feet, it is also possible to contact the private organizations who engage in this kind of research and who have the proper contacts inside government agencies to move things along.
Either way, you and your mates may be bringing peace to a family who only knows that their son was missing in action, or presumed dead.

Thank you!
Thanks for the offer Milhaus I might take you up on that offer... I think she is trying to make me out as a grave robber but we were very careful with the remains and never touched them with our bare hands. I think that they believe that we are just a bunch of retards with metal detectors and we have no clue what we are doing....which could not be further from the truth....

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

That is obviously false. You are a good man doing the right thing. Be assured that the U.S. government is very accustomed to private citizens from areas of previous conflicts coming forward to help return the remains of U.S. military members, it is a common occurrence (unfortunately). Her tune will change quite a bit when the U.S. embassy is calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolby72 View Post
Thanks for the offer Milhaus I might take you up on that offer... I think she is trying to make me out as a grave robber but we were very careful with the remains and never touched them with our bare hands. I think that they believe that we are just a bunch of retards with metal detectors and we have no clue what we are doing....which could not be further from the truth....

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Milhause she did not give me a case number and she hasnt wrote me back... I sent you a PM

Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Well great news todaythe German graves commision contacted me today and they were very happy with the way we handled reoprting the crash site. I have a meeting with them,JPAC, and the German Police so that I can show them the site and the bones that I have. They also told me that they want to do a story in the Bundesland magazine. They hope that the story will raise awarness to the MIA/KIA of WWII. They also want to come up with a program that will help people report crash sites and human remains without all of the complications and Government BS

Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

I'm waiting to see the news story! Can't wait to hear more.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Kolby story is amazing !

I don't know how I missed this thread but sure am glad I'm reading it now.

Crazy the kid who was in the Hitler youth movement is still around
to tell you first hand what he witnessed.

Did you know that Jimmy Stewart flew a plane like this during the war?
Yup that Jimmy Stewart .

I think he flew like 12 missions before they brought him back state side
to be a flight instructor.

Kolby I had the map light to a plane like this.
Kingtotsalot on this forum turned me onto a fellow or a group out in Kansas
that is working on building a monument for a plane that crashed out there
during the WW ll . I was happy to donate the light to this VFW chapter.

I know I found it a good home.

Well keep up the good work,I'm looking forward to reading more about this.

Thanks again for posting!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njal View Post
Kolby story is amazing !

I don't know how I missed this thread but sure am glad I'm reading it now.

Crazy the kid who was in the Hitler youth movement is still around
to tell you first hand what he witnessed.

Did you know that Jimmy Stewart flew a plane like this during the war?
Yup that Jimmy Stewart .

I think he flew like 12 missions before they brought him back state side
to be a flight instructor.

Kolby I had the map light to a plane like this.
Kingtotsalot on this forum turned me onto a fellow or a group out in Kansas
that is working on building a monument for a plane that crashed out there
during the WW ll . I was happy to donate the light to this VFW chapter.

I know I found it a good home.

Well keep up the good work,I'm looking forward to reading more about this.

Thanks again for posting!
Yeah this has turned out to be a great story, I have done a little bit of work to get the right people involved so the site can be excavated. But really this is German Searcher's baby he found the site first and did all of the research I just took it a step further and called JPAC and got the right people involved. I would like to see pics of the plane they are building or even the light you donated

Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Elite Member

Kohlby dont be frustrated with coming back here to the states to hunt..we have some COOL pull tabs you can start collecting.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRFORCEMIKE View Post
Kohlby dont be frustrated with coming back here to the states to hunt..we have some COOL pull tabs you can start collecting.
O yeah just what I wanted to hear lol thanks Mike

Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

All I can think of after reading all this is "MAN I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!" Kolby, this is one of the most exciting posts I've read on these forums in the past three years. Thanks for bringing it to us. I have been interested in WWII history sense I was a little kid some 40 plus years. It is so cool that you have the opportunity to dig around in the stuff and that you guys are of such good character and are handling everything with so much thought and respect. Congrats to you and your boys over there.

Sonny.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny b View Post
All I can think of after reading all this is "MAN I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!" Kolby, this is one of the most exciting posts I've read on these forums in the past three years. Thanks for bringing it to us. I have been interested in WWII history sense I was a little kid some 40 plus years. It is so cool that you have the opportunity to dig around in the stuff and that you guys are of such good character and are handling everything with so much thought and respect. Congrats to you and your boys over there.

Sonny.
Thanks Sonny I have been obsessed with WWII since I stayed over at my buddies house and watched Saving Private Ryan. And then when I was 13 years old my dad and I were in Bastogne Belgium and he introduced me to a group of veterans from the battle of the bulge. They were the guys from the 101st airborne Easy Company! Ever since then I have been obsessed with WWII and the people that risked their lives to give us our great freedoms.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

Kolby did you know Buck passed?

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...0,356555.story