Best Day So Far this Year

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
I live in a suburban neighborhood where the homes were mainly built in the 1940s. My house sits on one corner of a fairly quiet intersection. All four of the houses on my corner range from about .4 acres to a little over 1 acre. Previously, I've detected my place, and one of the other corner houses, and come up with a decent amount of silvers, wheats and Buff Nickels. Yesterday, I got to explore another one of the corner houses, built in 41, that sits on an acre of land. The beginning hour of the visit was not very good. All I found was a couple clad, two dog tags (one was a rabies tag) and various junk. I circled the house once, and then went to the side of the house to some trees that are along the road, maybe 10 feet from the blacktop. I got a signal, and found a wheat penny, and a few feet away, found another wheat. So, I was encouraged that I had at least found something a little older, and not clad. Moved a little closer to a tree root, and had a signal in the upper 70s, but was jumpy. I dug down pretty far, under a large root, and out came a 1941 Mercury Dime in beautiful shape. Filled the hole, and got another signal a few inches away...dug that and came up with another sweet 44 Mercury and a wheat penny. Filled that hole, and maybe a foot away, by another root, had a bouncy signal going from the 30s to the 70s. Tough digging in the roots, but turned out to be more than worth it. From the hole, came not 1 or two, but 3 nice coins. First out was a 1943 P war nickel. Checked the dirt pile and had more tone, and moved it to find a 1937 D Mercury Dime, and to top it off, in the same dirt pile was a 1937 Buffalo Nickel. In the same area of the trees, I found a 46 Rosie, and 3 more wheats. So, in total, 3 Mercs, 1 Rosie, 1 War Nickel, 6 wheats and 1 Buff Nickel. I found 12 good coins in less than 30 minutes. Such a great day to find a bunch of nice coins toward the end of the visit. Took a pic of my shadow standing over the tree area I found most of these coins. I am going back over today to look some more. Also, I found a silver container that is crushed which I need some help figuring out what it is. This was very close to the silver coins, also under a tree root. It has a nice etched design on it, and is stamped as 80% silver. The top slides out, and it looks like it was used to hold something inside, not sure what. There is a broken part that's kind of like an outer covering/door. Anyone know what this is?

UPDATE: Had another look at the property and came up with two more wheaties and some other clad.

Attachments

• 1944 Mercury Dime in Dirt 27 Aug 22.jpg
    1944 Mercury Dime in Dirt 27 Aug 22.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 523
  • Buff Merc War 27 Aug 22.jpg
    Buff Merc War 27 Aug 22.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Silvers Wheats Buff 27 Aug 22.jpg
    Silvers Wheats Buff 27 Aug 22.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 513
  • Shadow Man 27 Aug 22.jpg
    Shadow Man 27 Aug 22.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Silver Container Opened 27 Aug 22.jpg
    Silver Container Opened 27 Aug 22.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Wow, nice silver score, buffs and wheaties! Congrats on a great hunt! That silver thing might be part of an old match safe or perhaps part of an old cigarette case?

Wow, nice silver score, buffs and wheaties! Congrats on a great hunt! That silver thing might be part of an old match safe or perhaps part of an old cigarette case?

I was thinking maybe a match case as well. It’s not big enough to hold cigarettes but matches yes it is about that size.

Check your buffalo nickel for 3 legs, if so it's very valuable!
Congrats Flood on all that silver!!!

Looks like my buffalo has all 4 legs. Bummer on the extra value, but I still am happy with the find!

Attachments

• 1937 Buffalo Nickel Back 27 Aug 22.jpg
    1937 Buffalo Nickel Back 27 Aug 22.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 482
I'm wondering if that spot was once a bus stop. A child and his pocket change are soon parted. Congrats on the great hunt...good luck on the second round!

Congrats on the multiple silvers, wheats and Buff. Love those old coin spills. Good luck on your return. Mark

Took another look today. I think I must have cleared the small area out. I found about a dozen more coins, but only one of them was older - a 1945 wheatie, which is in decent shape. I did find a cufflink which I am going to let the home owner look at and see if it's one of theirs. Has no markings on it, and does not look like its valuable - I'm very happy with the finds in the yard. It is literally across the street from my house - I took my detector out of the garage, walked down my driveway, crossed the street, and was in their yard. I wish all good finds were this easy!

Final day exploring my neighbors yard. Came up with 3 more wheat pennies and a vintage Boy Scouts Pinewood Derby Medal. The wheats are a 1940, 1946, which has a hole drilled through the center, and a 1956 D. I tried looking up some history on drilled coins, but didn't find anything specific to pennies. Does anyone know if there was a reason for drilling holes in the center of some coins, or would this be a random act? The hole in this wheatie is very clean and centered, so it makes me think someone did it for a reason. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Pinewood Derby Medal and wheats 02 Sep 22.jpg
    Pinewood Derby Medal and wheats 02 Sep 22.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 108
  • Pinewood Derby Medal 02 Sep 22.jpg
    Pinewood Derby Medal 02 Sep 22.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 1946 Wheat Back Hole 02 Sep 22.jpg
    1946 Wheat Back Hole 02 Sep 22.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 1946 Wheat Front Hole 02 Sep 22.jpg
    1946 Wheat Front Hole 02 Sep 22.jpg