M1 Carbine

I found 2 guns many years ago scuba diving. They were rusted beyond repair,(and would never fire again.) Called my local Sheriffs dept. to see if they would like to see them. They said yes, so I brought them in. They took them from me, and said I can never get them back. (Laws vary from state to state) I would clean it up and hang it on the wall.......Just my opinion.....:grin:

i would not turn it in. its toasted. if i found it, i would talk to my cousin(a cop) and get his advice. then maybe talk to a gunsmith and see if its loaded or what to do next. i agree if you turn it in you might lose the best find of your life.

There are a couple ways to see if it is loaded. Odds are if it is the ammo is toast looking at the gun, but considering the condition of the wood, maybe it survived. Eject the magazine and see if there are rounds in there. If you can't get it or it is froze it isn't like it has a hammer under tension ready to contact a firing pin. I've had tens of thousands of rounds or more around through the years and not one has ever popped on its own. The one that may be concerning is the chamber. You can either grab the charging handle and with draw the bolt and visually check. Or, option B. You can take a cleaning rod, or even a dowel down the barrel (as long and it isn't to caked with gunk) until it stops. Mark either with a marker, a pocket knife, a small dab of paint, or use the Chatlie Tuna approved method of putting your hand right at the end of the muzzle when it stops before you withdraw it and line it up on the outside of the barrel. If the end of the rod goes all the way to the bolt face, you are 100 percent good. If you are having a hard time telling let me know and I can measure one for you that hasn't been in a lagoon for 50 years and get you a measurement.

Charlie

Could be as innocent as cpl of guys drinking beer and shooting at some turtles, then accidently dropping it into what they considered very deep water. Too drunk to go swiming...or perhaps did hunt for it without success. :lol:

OR, a serial killer pitched it over the side while driving by during the wee hours! :shock: Whatever...that is an interesting find. Hope you get to keep it for "show and tell".

In NY just the possession of that clip would land you in jail. These politicians are cutting the n@ts off anyone who wants to defend themselves and thier family.

If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.
Not getting any ballistic evidence off that. The lands and grooves of that rifle barrel are long gone. With a lot of effort you might get a serial number. I doubt that rifle could be or ever connected to a crime even if it was used in one.

Thats a GREAT find there! Bucketlist for sure! I doubt the Police have any available detectives to put on the case...let alone chugging up the forensics dept with that old thing. People have been killing each other for a very long time, some get caught, some do not...Who knows what happened in this instance? Nobody ever will, so let your imagination run wild with it hanging on your wall! Sure if it was a fresh drop things would be different...
Mud

Keep IT!!! don't waste your time with the cops. But I make sure and go back and get the lawn chair frame.

Back
Top Bottom