Scoop for water hunting..

I ordered the 720i with 20 degree based on advise from this forum. It should arrive next week......so excited

I agree that the Starv scoops are really great scoops, but they do wear as seen in the photo of my Starv scoop. The point is totally worn away from use at clay beaches.
I do not produce this model Stavr scoop (5Granik-2) for more than 5 years...

it is also evident that this is made of 304 (austenite SS), the last 3-4 years I mainly use martensite (4xx), it is harder and less wear on the stones and sand with clay.

I ordered the 720i with 20 degree based on advise from this forum. It should arrive next week......so excited

This is the way I am leaning too. Did you get it with the Carbon Fiber handle? Let us know what your thoughts are when it arrives.

I didn’t get the CF handle. Cheaper out and went for Ash and figured I could upgrade. I will let you know how it works out. I am excited to get it here and hit some beaches and streams

I just ordered a Dune Stingray 6'X4". Most of the water I plan to go in has sand and silty bottom so I wanted to try a smaller scoop, Figured I would go with a wood handle for now, and maybe add a "pool noodle" for flotation? Only problem I have right now is I would need a spud to get to the water.......

I just ordered a Dune Stingray 6'X4". Most of the water I plan to go in has sand and silty bottom so I wanted to try a smaller scoop, Figured I would go with a wood handle for now, and maybe add a "pool noodle" for flotation? Only problem I have right now is I would need a spud to get to the water.......

I have dove in a lot of the lakes in Oakland county and I have no idea what lake you are thinking of. None of the sand is very deep in any of them. Cass has the nicest sandbar and gets hit hard.

I have been in Cass, Pontiac, Lake Angelus, Macaday, Orchard, Pine, Walnut, Sylvan, Elizabeth, Union, Green, Upper, middle and Lower Straights, Lotus, Voorheis, Hammond, Square, Walled, Wing and a few others. Lots of awesome stuff to find out your way. I found two real guns in your lakes.

I see you use an At-Pro. Don't pass up overload signals. A lot are cans but you have knives, Zippo lighters, guns, old toys, and other desirable targets out your way.

Good luck. So much water to play in and a TON of history down that way. Be VERY careful of drop off's in some of those lakes, Some are very steep and dangerous to waders.

One friendly piece of advice. If you find gold in a lake and want to post your finds on here. NEVER say what lake you got it from. So many people hit those lakes they will clean out any spot you mention.

Last edited:
If you opt for a wood handle on your scoop make sure that it is installed correctly. I can not currently remember the correct way to do so. Some of the guys can pipe up and tell you the proper method.

Just ordered a 720i myself this week, Chuck and his crew are very personable and helpful. Quality, warranty, & people make it easy to spend the extra money for a great product. In the trades I bought quality tools, they were never cheap but hardly ever had to replace them and they were a joy to use.:cool:

If you opt for a wood handle on your scoop make sure that it is installed correctly. I can not currently remember the correct way to do so. Some of the guys can pipe up and tell you the proper method.
Wood grain should run parallel with handle facing outwards in direction of scoop.

I'm looking at ordering a 720i soon, but I have a question. It appears they have recently added 1/4" holes to the bottom and back as an option. Does anybody have this scoop? I'm wondering if the smaller holes would hold the sand in and prevent it from sifting out as easily. I guess it would keep earrings from getting through. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm looking at ordering a 720i soon, but I have a question. It appears they have recently added 1/4" holes to the bottom and back as an option. Does anybody have this scoop? I'm wondering if the smaller holes would hold the sand in and prevent it from sifting out as easily. I guess it would keep earrings from getting through. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yep I have the small holes on both my 920 and my 990. If you are in the water the sand gets out fast anyway. On land it is a bit harder. I don't see a real advantage of having the small holes. Some small things don't escape but they are not in that big of area so others do.

I cut a fine screen that I ziptied onto the inside back of my Stealth.

Yep I have the small holes on both my 920 and my 990. If you are in the water the sand gets out fast anyway. On land it is a bit harder. I don't see a real advantage of having the small holes. Some small things don't escape but they are not in that big of area so others do.

Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up ordering the Stealth 920iX from Chuck, with an Anderson one piece carbon fiber handle from Pete through John at Xtreme Scoops. (A super nice and helpful guy by the way). It was a bit of a back and forth, but I went with the 1/2" holes over the smaller slots along the back and bottom. I guess faster sifting and I could use it in dry sand if I wander out of the water. I dunno... It was kind of a toss up. I guess if something gets through the 1/2" hole I'll chase it around, but hopefully that won't be often.

I'm using the Stealth 920 Hybrid. I asked the "Big Name" detectorist on the east coast if he recommended the carbon handle and he said no. In the water it isn't going to make that much difference. I like the 20 because I don't have to reach so far forward to angle my scoop before I dig into the sand. Imagine a 20 vs a 90 and tilting the handle forward to dig in, with the 90, obviously you'll have to reach further forward to get a good angle into the sand. I'm also using the hybrid with the smaller holes at the bottom of the scoop. It takes a lot of practice to use the hybrid part but I've literally have been able to pluck small, head of match sized targets with it. Biggest thing is don't go cheap on the scoop. Buy a good one.

I'm using the Stealth 920 Hybrid. I asked the "Big Name" detectorist on the east coast if he recommended the carbon handle and he said no. In the water it isn't going to make that much difference. I like the 20 because I don't have to reach so far forward to angle my scoop before I dig into the sand. Imagine a 20 vs a 90 and tilting the handle forward to dig in, with the 90, obviously you'll have to reach further forward to get a good angle into the sand. I'm also using the hybrid with the smaller holes at the bottom of the scoop. It takes a lot of practice to use the hybrid part but I've literally have been able to pluck small, head of match sized targets with it. Biggest thing is don't go cheap on the scoop. Buy a good one.

Depends on the length, circumference of the cf shaft when in the water whether it's useful or not.

Back
Top Bottom