Anyone use Evapo Rust

40acre1870

Forum Supporter
About 8 tonight, I decided to swing the metal detector around the dog's pen and I found this strange piece about 8 inches down.

It is 3 1/4 by 4 inches and 3/4 inches thick. It is pretty heavy and it looks like it had been painted black.

My son works at a hardware store and gave me a bottle of Evapo Rust as a trial. It is supposed to strip the rust in about 30 minutes.

Anyone try this before? I am really interested in finding out what this piece is.

Here is a pic as it came out of the ground and one of it soaking. I guess I will see how it works. It is supposed to be reusable afterwards.

Attachments

• Rusted.jpg
    Rusted.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 860
  • Soaking.jpg
    Soaking.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Evapo Rust.jpg
    Evapo Rust.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 726
Leave it in the stuff and see how long it takes. Even electrolysis would take up to 2 days on that depending on the voltage. Let it ride and see what happens!

I'd leave that item in the solution for a good 24 hours not a mere 30 minutes. I've used the evapo rust on some heavily rusted items, but the worse the rust, the longer you have to soak it. The rust will flake off quite nicely!
BTW, that item looks like an old skeleton key type of door lock set. ;)

Pete

I'd leave that item in the solution for a good 24 hours not a mere 30 minutes. I've used the evapo rust on some heavily rusted items, but the worse the rust, the longer you have to soak it. The rust will flake off quite nicely!
BTW, that item looks like an old skeleton key type of door lock set. ;)

Pete

Wow hit the rusty nail on the head! That's exactly what it is. Nice ID!

lol, i've got a few of those kicking around here, at least 2 still in use in the house, haha! :laughing:
i'm wondering how the o/p made out with it, if a long soak in the evapo-rust helped clean it up? :?:

It didn't turn out much better than when I started. I put it in last night and it's been soaking all day. I'll check in a bit. Thanks for the ID 007.

It didn't turn out much better than when I started. I put it in last night and it's been soaking all day. I'll check in a bit. Thanks for the ID 007.

oh, ok. i've done a few horse and oxen shoes and at least one ax head that were in pretty hard shape and the rust flaked right off after a loooong soak. the stuff isn't perfect and it won't give you a sand-blasted finish, but it should help a bit. :yes:

I love Evapo-Rust.

You really have to remove as much rust as you can before you put it into the solution. With the horseshoe, I scraped as much off as I could with a steel brush before the first soak. Once you start soaking, you have to leave it in until the solution is completely black.

While it's soaking, it's good to take the item out every so often and while it's still wet, scrape out any tough (but softened) rust spots with an awl. After the solution is completely black, you rinse the item in running water, give it a soak in acetone to rid it of all moisture, and then scrape some more with an awl or use a steel brush. Then you put it into a fresh solution and keep going.

It's like wash, rinse, repeat with soaking and scraping until it's completely free of rust. This can take weeks (which sounds a bit ridiculous, I know, but I'm in no rush), but my living situation isn't good for a big electrolysis setup.

I've also used the WD-40 Rust Remover Soak, which is pretty much the same thing, but it's more expensive (at least here in nyc).

That's the process I used on the horseshoe. Once it was fully rust-free, I gave it a good once-over with a steel brush to bring out the shine, and then two coats of Renaissance Wax to seal it up.

I'd prefer electrolysis, but this is the next best thing for me, and I'm happy with the results:

This was my only before picture:

20160713_104222%201_zps5oictpdf.jpg

And after:

20161031_181624%201_zpsltyrbdu3.jpg

Hope this helps!

About 8 tonight, I decided to swing the metal detector around the dog's pen and I found this strange piece about 8 inches down.

It is 3 1/4 by 4 inches and 3/4 inches thick. It is pretty heavy and it looks like it had been painted black.

My son works at a hardware store and gave me a bottle of Evapo Rust as a trial. It is supposed to strip the rust in about 30 minutes.

Anyone try this before? I am really interested in finding out what this piece is.

Here is a pic as it came out of the ground and one of it soaking. I guess I will see how it works. It is supposed to be reusable afterwards.

I find it works well: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=239155&highlight=iron+artifacts

Back
Top Bottom