How Cold is Too Cold?

Coindigger1960

Ok, here in North Central Indian this morning it is 28 f. I stepped out to get the paper and thought about getting my coil out for a few swings....I had gloves on (Kevlar) and within 10 minutes my finger tips were freezing.: shock:
My question is How much cold does it take to keep you from hunting?

Anything below 60f (15ºC) is too cold for me. I know I'm a wuss when it comes to low temperatures, but I guess I'm not really used to the cold. I like hunting when temperatures are around 80-90f. Nice and warm. :)

When the ice sickles are shivering its to cold..

I grew-up and lived in Central Indiana for most of my life. I could always dress warm enough, but snow and frozen ground was generally the stopper.

If I got the boat out, its probably too cold for detecting...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20150310_010456.jpg
    IMG_20150310_010456.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 414
Cold is somewhat relative. If it is 20 degrees and calm, fine but if 30 degrees with high wind it gets old fast. If the sun is on me cold is much more tolerable than the same temp on a cloudy day. Snow and frozen ground will stop me but somewhere in the 20s seems to be my limit depending on the other factors. I was out in 27 degrees yesterday, calm and sunny and I never felt cold. I was out in 35 degrees with strong wind the day before and the hunt was short.

When the ground freezes solid more then about 3 inches deep under the leaves in the woods I call it quits. Either that or when the snow it too deep to swing through and still get to the ground.

Now in my 60's a lot less than it used to. LOL

For me it's got to be around 50º or better before I can get out for any length of time. I hunt for fun, when I'm am cold it is no longer fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom