Best gold detector for jewelry?

goldsniper01

I would like to purchase a metal detector that is really good at finding gold. I will be going over to europe and I know there are tons of gold coins laying in the dirt up there. So, which metal detector is the best for finding gold coins and jewelry? All comments are welcomed and appreciated. thanks

Tesoro Compadre, simply unbelievable. Just found a 14k bracelet about 45 mins.ago. Gotta get my camera back in operation-since I got it a couple of months ago I've already paid for it.:yes:

Tesoro Compadre, simply unbelievable. Just found a 14k bracelet about 45 mins.ago. Gotta get my camera back in operation-since I got it a couple of months ago I've already paid for it.:yes:

Slingshot, What setting do you use when searching tot lots?

Might want to check out the Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold. And they have a HQ in Ireland if you have any problems......

Dusty

I'm with sllingshot47 on this one, it is hard to believe unless you have tried one how good of a jewelry hunter the Compadre is, it will hit hard on fine gold chains where most detectors won't even make a peep.

Slingshot, What setting do you use when searching tot lots?
I can't speak for slingshot but when using my Compadre at tot lots I set the dial right between all metal and iron. Have to keep in mind that each detector could be calibrated alittle different.

Attachments

• Tesoro_Compadre_Metal_Detector (Large).jpg
    Tesoro_Compadre_Metal_Detector (Large).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 5,936
I can't speak for slingshot but when using my Compadre at tot lots I set the dial right between all metal and iron. Have to keep in mind that each detector could be calibrated alittle different.

Yeah. Right where Ski's arrow is I can find small sockets for ratchets, and I have mine set touching the bottom of the "i" in iron in tot lots. Now here's the surprising thing- the day I found the gold chain, I had the line pointing at the "r" in iron. The reason I set it right on the bottom of the "i" is that it rejects,slightly, paperclips, and hairpins, and even some teeny nails. It still hits on the larger iron screws. I just have a few hours to hunt each time and I don't want to be bothered by hairpins, etc. ALSO, and you might wanna experiment, I find I can hold my paper clip with the thumb and forefinger and hold a penny an 1" or 2" below it with my little and next to last finger and pick up the penny-no target masking. It's so much fun experimenting that I don't want to spoil all the fun.

THX guys. That's where I'll run mine.

I'm new to the hobby and it seems to me that the Compadre has got to be the value leader in metal detectors. Light weight, easy to use, just turn it on and it finds the buried swag! Talk about bang for the buck!! Lot's of fun!!!

The Compadre runs at a higher frequency than other detectors, making it more sensitive to gold, AND it comes with a smaller coil (5.75 inches rather than 7 to 9), making it more sensitive to smaller objects.

So for gold jewelry, you've got a winner!

The Compadre runs at a higher frequency than other detectors, making it more sensitive to gold, AND it comes with a smaller coil (5.75 inches rather than 7 to 9), making it more sensitive to smaller objects.

So for gold jewelry, you've got a winner!
You're right Dan and I have to add - it must be more than the frequency. The Compadre runs @ 12kHz as do some of the other Tesoro models but the Compadre hits better on lower conductors than the other 12kHz models. I believe it is due to the Compadre's ED-180 circuitry and what ever else they do at the factory making it. They sure pack alot of fun in the Compadre before they ship them out.

We ran the older one (with the larger coil) at "just above iron" on the disc... and I mean JUST above the line that says iron...... pretty much discriminated out all the iron, but hits HARD on gold. Lots of pull tabs, foil, and such sound off, and that's the price ya pay for seeking gold. The same day we dug the gold in the photo, a tiny 14k pendant, we also dug a staple. Not like a construction type deal, but one, tiny, single staple like you staple papers together with - and accuately pinpointed the dang thing, without a pinpointer. It hits on even the tiniest target.

It's an amazing gold seeker at any price!

I'm sure there's better machines for hunting gold nuggets, built specifically for that task, but for tot lots / parks / dry sand, if you seek gold jewelry, the $150 ish little compadre is tough to beat.

Attachments

• detecting101409 004.jpg
    detecting101409 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5,690
I am constantly amazed at the size and depth of some of the things my Vaq picks up.
Tiny...I mean teeny tiny little things that I couldn't find in my hand without my Propointer.
I love to hit those tot lots and the Vaq is pretty darn good with gold, but I just know my next purchase to add to the arsenal is going to be a Compadre.

Fisher Gold Bug Pro or GB2

Buy a gold detector, but the Gold Bug Pro has the screen, so you will be able to visually discriminate some metals.

Buy a gold detector, but the Gold Bug Pro has the screen, so you will be able to visually discriminate some metals.

Buy a gold detector like the Gold Bug if you want to find nuggets in gold country. For gold jewelry, which isn't pure gold, go with a regular detector. The Tesoro Compadre should do an excellent job.

Buy a gold detector like the Gold Bug if you want to find nuggets in gold country.

Yep, did that. And I notice gold detectors tend to cost a bit more than "regular" detectors.......another reason the cost of living in Colorado is so high!!!!!:lol:

Dusty

I'm not as knowledgeable as a fella named Monte, but the way he explained it, it was due to the circuit design of the Compadre. There's no low-noise, high gain circuitry in the Compadre to alter the signal. That, as well as the ED-180 circuitry is why it is able to pick up a fine gold chain while others won't. So don't let anyone tell you that the Compadre is a weak Silver umax or other Tesoro. It is an entirely different circuit. It's hard to believe until you see it for yourself. I have an old Garrett bfo that will duplicate it's behaviour on gold chains WHILE rejecting paper clips and small nails and if it had the depth of the Compadre could probably be a fun detector. But the light weight, depth, etc. made me decide to go ahead and get one.

I'm not as knowledgeable as a fella named Monte, but the way he explained it, it was due to the circuit design of the Compadre. There's no low-noise, high gain circuitry in the Compadre to alter the signal. That, as well as the ED-180 circuitry is why it is able to pick up a fine gold chain while others won't. So don't let anyone tell you that the Compadre is a weak Silver umax or other Tesoro. It is an entirely different circuit. It's hard to believe until you see it for yourself. I have an old Garrett bfo that will duplicate it's behaviour on gold chains WHILE rejecting paper clips and small nails and if it had the depth of the Compadre could probably be a fun detector. But the light weight, depth, etc. made me decide to go ahead and get one.
slingshot is right about the Compadre being such a good detector, its so good it will make your hair stand straight up, just look at me the first time I used my Compadre.

Attachments

• surprised.jpg
    surprised.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 5,518
Wow! You've gotten better lookin' since I last saw you.:lol::lol::lol:
I'm just like a fine wine, I get better with age and the more you drink the better I look (you know like the ladies at the bar around closing time :lol:) . Thanks for reminding me slingshot, I will turn 50 on the 18th. of this month and told my wife to get me a bottle of red wine for my birthday. Mmmmm Red Cat.

Attachments

• 2625849059_2a5205a936 (Small).jpg
    2625849059_2a5205a936 (Small).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 5,499
Back
Top Bottom