View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Default town council

Phillip,
In your situation, perhaps email is the only option for you. I do think you should give serious consideration to Tom's suggestion of writing an article about your local history, but then of course be sincere about that and really do attempt to write such an article.
As far as not knowing folks on the council, you know you can work on changing that. When I moved here 10 years ago I didn't know a soul. Then I saw an article in the local newspaper seeking a volunteer to write/develop an Adopt a Highway program for the town. Now I knew nothing about such things but I did know that Google is your friend. I volunteered and did it and got some very good cred for it. Then I joined the local volunteer Fire company, got to know a few more people that way. Then I launched a local low power license free (under FCC Part 15 rules in the U.S.) AM broadcast radio station to serve the community. In addition to my programming the town sends me Public Service Announcements every week which I record and broadcast for them, and thy promote the station in their quarterly newsletter and on their website. None of these may work for you but I'm just throwing these out there as possible ways to improve your connections and standing in the community.

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
I don't know anybody in the council that could help me. And like I've said before, if they are really passionate about saving history and preserving artefacts, then they should say yes, right? And I've also included my phone number in the email in case she wants to discuss it further. I would also like to point out, that as I'm only a student, my only way of getting to the council office is via public transport, which'll take over an hour. (We live on the edge of the council) Even getting to the sites is a challenge in itself! So even if they don't say yes now, I could still ask later, face-to-face, in five years, when I've hopefully got my license and more flexible to travel from place to place.

Something like, "I would be more than happy if any significant finds, or finds relating to the site, were to be displayed in the XXXX museum, or in XXXXX or XXXX house, so that these artefacts can be preserved and maintained to allow future generations to appreciate their council's history.

That way I'm not saying I'm donating any items, but rather pointing out that I'd be happy to have these artefacts displayed (which is true!)

-----
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garrett AT Pro, ADS Groundhog, Pro-Pointer AT

3 members found this post helpful.