Found my oldest coin to date

DiggerMD

Elite Member
1964 Penny man I suck at this. Oh well had a girlfriend tell me I was no good when I was 13 I just keep practicing. I forgot to listen to the difference in pennies.

It takes a bit to get it down. And being in the right spot is 99 percent of the battle

The old stuff is still around. location location location. Try old sidewalks strips near old homes often a few good targets.. hh

oj/bc

ps 1964 in the right timeframe for silver also

1964 Penny man I suck at this. Oh well had a girlfriend tell me I was no good when I was 13 I just keep practicing. I forgot to listen to the difference in pennies.

:cheer: Congrats on your oldest coin! It's always a good feeling. Don't be down on yourself, you stick with it, and eventually you'll get a very pleasant surprise.

If there is a 64 penny there,there may be a 64 dime.

Have patience.
Silver coins generally just don't coming raining down on a detectorist.

Good thing too.
Wouldn't be as fun.

What machine are you using Digger? I have to say,it makes a HUGE difference in today's hunting arena. There are machines that have REALLY GOOD discrimination,and there are the rest. If you are in a difficult, yet old enough, site to have older coins,you will struggle...especially being fairly new. A machine with excellent discrimination will help you ALOT. What's yours?

My first 2 years I didn’t find any really old coins including silvers. I hunted parks and playgrounds primarily. Since then I’ve started pursuing permissions in older and historic areas. My oldest now is 1783 and I have a number of 1800s. You have to be where they are.

Look at it this way, you found a coin. I'll take a coin over a pull tab any day...lol

I can't tell you how many 1965 quarters and dimes I have found through the years. I have found wheat pennies, 40s, 50s, 60s nickels, silver and gold jewelry but finally, finally this year I found my first silver coin; a 1957 Rosie.:yes: I felt as if the world had been lifted from my shoulders.
If you are finding 1964 pennies, good chance silver is lurking somewhere near. I have always enjoyed this hobby but I honestly enjoy it even more now that the pressure ( I put on myself of course ) of finding that first silver coin is gone.
Don't give up:D

What machine are you using Digger? I have to say,it makes a HUGE difference in today's hunting arena. There are machines that have REALLY GOOD discrimination,and there are the rest. If you are in a difficult, yet old enough, site to have older coins,you will struggle...especially being fairly new. A machine with excellent discrimination will help you ALOT. What's yours?

using a BH right now. Had to make sure I was going to enjoy the addiction before I sunk the money. I am patient I love the history and activity so I was only trying to be funny and share my progress. Im not really hunting any primo spots yet. I need a pin pointer which will be next and I want to practice my plugs and recoveries before I start digging up peoples yards. Thanks for the encouragement and advice which this site is full of and HH!!!!

I can't tell you how many 1965 quarters and dimes I have found through the years. I have found wheat pennies, 40s, 50s, 60s nickels, silver and gold jewelry but finally, finally this year I found my first silver coin; a 1957 Rosie.:yes: I felt as if the world had been lifted from my shoulders.
If you are finding 1964 pennies, good chance silver is lurking somewhere near. I have always enjoyed this hobby but I honestly enjoy it even more now that the pressure ( I put on myself of course ) of finding that first silver coin is gone.
Don't give up:D

I watch all the youtube guys and they make it seam so easy, but I promise a silver coin will not decide if I enjoy this hobby. Its like anything else its the thrill of the hunt. Its finding something and guessing about its story. Its talking to the ole timers around town and realizing the historic encyclopedias that are walking the face of the earth. I was never interested in history as a kid but I found myself watching the history channel as I got older and now drilling it down even further to individual stories from people or even further to a single momento from one of those individual people.

Look at it this way, you found a coin. I'll take a coin over a pull tab any day...lol

you are right about that. I'm just starting to trust my machine enough to turn up some discrimination and not dig every burp it lets out. I have literally broken 2 little gardening spades digging so much junk. When my digger gets here I don't want to slam it into a buried railroad tie plate like my last one.

using a BH right now. Had to make sure I was going to enjoy the addiction before I sunk the money. I am patient I love the history and activity so I was only trying to be funny and share my progress. Im not really hunting any primo spots yet. I need a pin pointer which will be next and I want to practice my plugs and recoveries before I start digging up peoples yards. Thanks for the encouragement and advice which this site is full of and HH!!!!

Like you said above...it is the thrill of the hunt! Good luck in the progression,you will do just fine I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom