Tesoro detector

I've used Tesoros for 20 plus years, they are great detectors, top quality, great dependability and life time warranty. I've never heard of a "bad" Tesoro model. My album posted on Friendly are all Tesoro finds. Tesoros will run with the best of em.

Someone locally is trying to sell a UMax on CL for $200, equipped with Gray Ghost headphones. I'm tempted, but it sounds like this is really a base model.

Nope, a UMAX is not a base model. You can visit the Tesoro site and read about UMAX development history.

Someone locally is trying to sell a UMax on CL for $200, equipped with Gray Ghost headphones. I'm tempted, but it sounds like this is really a base model.

Just looked at that CL ad, I'd buy it, not a bad deal... You can probably get it lil lower...

Last edited:
Tesoro

I hunt with a friend of mine that has found a lot of silver and civil war bullets with his Tesoro. It's a testament to the old adage "Learn your machine". He shows up and just kicks everyone's butt. He has a lot of time on that machine and its paid off. Good luck and learn your machine.

Tesoro Cibola was my very first detector. I absolutely loved it. I actually still kinda feel like I abandoned a good friend when I sold it....but I wasn't using it at all once I got some newer detectors.

It was simple, durable & DEEP.

Check out the new Tesoro Cazador.................................
Tesoros are an excellent buy if you get a used one.
Where Tesoro left off, Deeptech kept on going and blew by them.
If your not running much discrimination, Jump ahead into the future and check them out. As much as I liked my Tesoros, owned quiet a few, I gave up all my Tesoro beep and digs after owning a DT Vista Gold with the Super Six coil. Just throwing this out there as an alternative. http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,143573,144171#msg-144171

Yes I hear the Bulgarian Deeptech units are very good .....and the Super Six coil is great for separation. Wish these detectors had more than just Iron tone and Non Ferrous tone. Would like to see a full range discriminator and maybe 2 or 3 non ferrous tones. As it stands the new Gold Gain at 30khz unit looks like a killer unit working around Iron.....but would use for relic/coin hunting in less trashy fields.

Last edited:
Yes I hear the Bulgarian Deeptech units are very good .....and the Super Six coil is great for separation. Wish these detectors had more than just Iron tone and Non Ferrous tone. Would like to see a full range discriminator and maybe 2 or 3 ferrous tones. As it stands the new Gold Gain at 30khz unit looks like a killer unit working around Iron.....but would use for relic/coin hunting in less trashy fields.

I have used the Vista Gold (not the gain) and if you don't use disc higher than foil, the detector is fully usable hunting in schools, parks etc. with trash. You can set the tone break/disc where you like. With the Super Six or the 5" coil it works very well. I didn't have any problems. Like a single tone Tesoro after awhile you will understand the language. And there was no need to run full gain, many times 25-35% was all you needed.
I hear the audio is much nicer on the Gold Gain. Keith has some good vids
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUKE-CYO_3G59P3_mCqT4OKQ

=====================

Ground balancing
Set on All metal mode
Sens to 45
S slow mode on toggle
Boost off

Mine ground balances about 1 o'clock. Depending upon your ground, make tiny GB
adjustments until there is no change when bobbing the coil.
If your hunting in disc mode and need a quick ground balance, make the GB adjustment in
disc.
The disc control is the tone break in two tone mode.
The first red line is where a thin gold chain will be disc'd out or in two-tone will give a high
tone. The broad green zone is the tiny gold, foil zone. Where the green zone breaks off, is
the last area that thin gold rings will not be rejected. Its the setting I hunt. Eliminates most tiny
foil. It is also a good setting when hunting coins in 2 tone mode. Dig all highs and decide on
the low tone targets. If you run this setting, when pinpointing a high tone and pull back on the
coil, the tone will go from high to a low grunt. It's an item just below your disc setting, could be
canslaw. If you run this setting in disc mode, get a high tone, pinpoint and pull back on the
coil, just before audio goes silent, if you get a slight mixed rough sound, its trash and canslaw
most of the time. If the target sound breaks off with no after glow sound, its a good target.
Just some things for you to try.I normally hunt using the Super 6 coil 6x8 coins and jewelry
S slow mode, boost off, sens 25-45, disc mode, sweep coil slower
and run the same settings in two tone mode. Deep
F mode is good for trashy areas, faster response recovery, separation, loose some depth,
switch on boost mode to regain the depth.
I like two tone mode as much as disc mode, you hear both iron and good target signals.
I run iron volume (low tone) where its set as pictured, its loud enough to alert you there's iron
without driving you batty if in a dense iron zone. Set where you like. High tone targets will
have normal volume. It also lets good targets be heard better amongst iron when the iron
volume is lower.
Have fun
Sven

Attachments

• dt12.jpg
    dt12.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 293
Even though I primarily run something else,it’s pretty hard to argue against Tesoro in general. Fast,light,simple,capable. Light battery usage,full warranty. I do own a Compadre and haven’t got a bad thing to say about it...for what it is and what it does. You’d be hard pressed to even compete in that market for what they offer. It’s almost a “no lose” proposition,IMHO.

everyone needs a tesoro

everyone needs a " special applications " detector. I am enjoying learning a new Nokta Impact and I have a Fisher F 75 but the Tesoros are never far away carefully on stand by in the car trunk. Power lines and other strong sources of EMI are when I bring out the Tesoros. I bought a SILVER umax in a pawn shop and was shocked at its power. I use it as a loaner and one friend has taken it over and will not give it back. LOL The wifey out digs me with her Cibola. Those things are hot hot hot ! Bottom line is everyone needs a Tesoro when things go wrong , like my main detector was acting up and not working right so I went to the car and got the Silver Umax ....the guy I was hunting with was using a 7,000 Minelab ...he looked at me as I walked up beside him swinging with a look on his face like how dare you bring that around my minelab. I beat him that day in a civil war field.

Sure are taking their time on the next model....

I heard they're working on it, going to be called "Megaequimaxoptimuminfinnity".

Supposed to be a real game changer :D

I wouldn't hold my breath. Tesoro has their following, and regardless of what others put-out, that's not going to change much. Plus I've yet to see another company offering a lifetime warranty. Not everyone has to try to be the leader of the pack.

Tesoro makes a great fresh water toy. I had 3 and just sold one. However even with two I have three coils. Two 8" and a 10"

The Tiger Shark is an awesome compliment to my Fisher CZ's and they are good machines.

Check out the new Tesoro Cazador.................................
Tesoros are an excellent buy if you get a used one.
Where Tesoro left off, Deeptech kept on going and blew by them.
If your not running much discrimination, Jump ahead into the future and check them out. As much as I liked my Tesoros, owned quiet a few, I gave up all my Tesoro beep and digs after owning a DT Vista Gold with the Super Six coil. Just throwing this out there as an alternative. http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,143573,144171#msg-144171

Am,I the only one who got this?:lol::lol: Even Digger missed it!:laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom