• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Class of 1928 and two quarters

DoctorWhy

Today I was back at the large grassy field where a week, or so. ago I found my first seated dime.

(http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=253633)

This time, three new firsts: a 1936 "Washington" quarter, a 1929 "Standing Liberty" quarter, and a women's sterling silver (marked) Class of 1928 ring.

No idea of the school identified by the "GSS" monogram. No initials inside. Highly unlikely this ring could be returned to the original owner... If she was 18 in her year of graduation, 1928, she was born in 1910 and would be 107 today!

Attachments

• Washington_and_StandingQuarters_sm.jpg
    Washington_and_StandingQuarters_sm.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 360
  • ClassRing_Silver_sm.jpg
    ClassRing_Silver_sm.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 336
Awesome finds, DocWhy! The coins are great - old quarters have completely eluded me so far.

The ring is really nice, just fantastic shape! I wonder about the "GSS" monogram - rather than a school, they may well be the wearer's initials. Either way, great find!!

You may be able to find information on the ring by looking at towns in the area that start with S and see if they had a girls school in the 20's - places like Searsport, Searsmont, Swanville, Somerville, Skowhegan, Sedgwick...

I think it definitely comes from an all girls school.

Cool piece of history that ring is.

You may be able to find information on the ring by looking at towns in the area that start with S and see if they had a girls school in the 20's - places like Searsport, Searsmont, Swanville, Somerville, Skowhegan, Sedgwick...

That's my next 'challenge'... One immediate thought was in the nearby town of Blue Hill Maine on the mainland, there's a private school known as: "George Stevens Academy". It is quite possible that back in the 20's it was otherwise known as "George Stevens School"... The school has been in business since at least the mid-1800's... I'll shortly be contacting the school to see if they have any historic documents that confirm this...

Happy Hunting,
--Bert

Back
Top Bottom