Long shot surprise return

coptician

Awhile back I was hunting a soccer field for coins and jewelry. I dug this surprise, not expecting anything old on the site. It's a 1938 Kentucky driver's license. When I got home, not sure why, but I did some research of the area and found a website for the restoration of a still standing circa 1900 'coloreds only' segregated elementary school in very close proximity to where I found it.

Still not sure what made me call the number on the website. A lady answered and listened to my out of the blue explanation of my find. Amazingly, she said there may be someone who could help me with further research, and she invited me to a meeting of the preservation committee members the following night, literally walking distance from my house.

I showed up, and she introduced me. I explained what I'd found and where. A very elderly gentleman and his wife were at the far end of the table. When I finished, the old man asked me to repeat where I'd found it. He seemed pretty excited (for an old man).

I told him, and he said: "I grew up in a house that stood where that soccer field is now. In the '30s and early '40's my wife and I both went to the school we're now trying to preserve. I had an uncle, my father's brother, who was a moonshiner who lived in Kentucky. He had a whiskey route that took him to Norfolk. He's spend several days at our house after making his run."

The old man and his wife both cried when I walked to the end of the table and put the license in his hand. I've since tried to get some verification on the owner from Kentucky, but so far no response. But we have no doubt is belonged to his uncle.

Turns out the old man now owns the property the school is on. He gave me cart blanche to hunt it, but that hasn't turned up much. Like much of Chesapeake, it's quite swampy. And like most of the poorer areas of the past, there is a ton of trash in the ground.

Regardless, that find still stands out as one of my best.

Attachments

• 14656428_636782053148201_3063155426844205522_n.jpg
    14656428_636782053148201_3063155426844205522_n.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 505
Yeah... That IS one of the best detecting stories I've ever heard! Next to finding gold and jewelry that type of 'backstory" as he calls it is one of my favorite things about detecting.

Up here in P.A. there is a park on some land which actually used to belong to the family of Fred Rogers... You know, MISTER Rogers...the one and only. Supposedly he used to play up there as a kid. There's a beautiful creek, lots of woods and a waterfall or two. There are chiselings in the boulders along the creek from the very early 20th century and possibly before that. I was thinking, wouldnt that be neat to find something there that could be positively ID'd to either Fred Rogers or someone in his family.

Yeah... That IS one of the best detecting stories I've ever heard! Next to finding gold and jewelry that type of 'backstory" as he calls it is one of my favorite things about detecting.

Up here in P.A. there is a park on some land which actually used to belong to the family of Fred Rogers... You know, MISTER Rogers...the one and only. Supposedly he used to play up there as a kid. There's a beautiful creek, lots of woods and a waterfall or two. There are chiselings in the boulders along the creek from the very early 20th century and possibly before that. I was thinking, wouldnt that be neat to find something there that could be positively ID'd to either Fred Rogers or someone in his family.

If you're near Mr Rogers, you must be near Pittsburgh..I grew up in Eighty Four, PA.

Coptician, we all enjoy the reunion repatriation stories of jewelry, but .... this one takes the cake. It's nostalgic history that you simply can't put a price on. And is a testament (to those pesky purist archies), that md'rs ARE INDEED doing TONS to preserve history, keep provenance, benefit the public's knowledge of their past, etc..... A great story ! Thanx for bringing us along. Good job !

Yeah... That IS one of the best detecting stories I've ever heard! Next to finding gold and jewelry that type of 'backstory" as he calls it is one of my favorite things about detecting ....

^ ^ this ^ ^

Back
Top Bottom