Inexpensive Metal Detecting Tools

collegefbfan

So, my detector should be here Friday. Waiting for more eBay sales to help out with a quality pinpointer. The other tools needed, can you skimp on price and get at least close to the same results? I would like a longer handle digging tool, but have to wait.

Would this work for digging?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Serrate...rentrq:8b994f291640abc554ff5131ffffae9e|iid:1

Any particular material for gloves work the best?
Thansm
Thanks

Yes that will work great. Bought this one at Walmart for around 10 bucks. Works great. One side is sharp as a knife, the other side sharp serrated saw and bottom has a v that will twist and pop roots. Love this tool in parks where you don't want to tear up the grass. Other spots I use a mini shovel. I personally can't justify spending 60+ bucks on a shovel that digs no faster. I did buy one though and still prefer the basic.
b9914f55d78e96b5be369ed7f107e2ec.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have that tool. Its good and i sharpened the edges. Its grip is hard. I picked up a whites hand digger at a show and i wish i would of got that. Nice soft handle on it.

That looks like the Gator digger that I have from Kellyco. I got it in a trade and it is brand new and the dullest digger that I have ever seen. If I ever decide to use it I will have to spend a lot of time sharpening it. Myself I do not care for the stepped design of them and the Lesche. Like the other poster, I have been using Hori-Hori type diggers for about forty years and have never once felt like they might break. And I have really abused them. You can find them on Amazon starting around $14.00 and I doubt if you will ever need another.

Yes that will work great. Bought this one at Walmart for around 10 bucks. Works great. One side is sharp as a knife, the other side sharp serrated saw and bottom has a v that will twist and pop roots. Love this tool in parks where you don't want to tear up the grass. Other spots I use a mini shovel. I personally can't justify spending 60+ bucks on a shovel that digs no faster. I did buy one though and still prefer the basic.
b9914f55d78e96b5be369ed7f107e2ec.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Agree. This is a great tool.

If you think you might prefer a hori hori-style digger, this one is a screaming deal at 8 bucks right now. If you're careful about cleaning after every hunt, being carbon instead of stainless shouldn't be an issue.

If you think you might prefer a hori hori-style digger, this one is a screaming deal at 8 bucks right now. If you're careful about cleaning after every hunt, being carbon instead of stainless shouldn't be an issue.

I've been wanting to try the hori style digger for awhile now....but I've been too cheap since I have multiple other diggers....but for 9 bucks shipped, I'll give it a shot...thanks

I was happy with mine.....It works great on good topsoil and turf, not so much with Missouri rock. I'm using the Whites Digmaster and a treasurewise knife now.
20171109_131438.jpg

I have one of those Hori-Hori knives. I have been using this style for around forty years. I don't believe that you can break them. I have abused mine that would break most other diggers. I don't worry about rust. I just wipe the dirt off before I put it back in the sheath. Any rust would come off in the next dig. I haven't seen any rust anyway. Normally you can find them on Amazon starting around $14.00 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom