Old Padlock & Flattened Pennies

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Worked a ballfield in town some more today, for a couple hrs. Only racked up $1.35 clad, and no silver or jewelry, but thought these were interesting. First, I found a pocket spill of 2 nickels('84 & '66) in a hole with the 2 flattened pennies. I think one is a zincoln, and the other is copper. Then I dug the padlock. I thought it was a weight, because I could see no keyhole or words when I dug it. After cleaning, the "Keystone 4Lever" came to light, with a blue background. Later, I found the pushkey keyhole on the lower side. These were listed in a 1927 catalog, so 90 years old ain't bad.

Attachments

• DSCN1393.jpg
    DSCN1393.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCN1385.jpg
    DSCN1385.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCN1387.jpg
    DSCN1387.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 445
Thanks all, I thought it was a really cool one too. It's in a lot better shape than this old railroad lock I found in the same field recently:

Attachments

• DSCN1209.jpg
    DSCN1209.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 366
Sweet lock! I have one flattened penny looks exactly like yours wish I had a lock like that too!

First time find for me; the flattened pennies. Surprised to find 2 in one hole! I flattened one like that when I was a juvenile. Put it on the train tracks just before the train came. I thought it was really cool, until I was told "defacing money is a crime, boy!" :?:

The lock is a flat lever lock. Depending on how many levers stated determines the age. I have a few 6 lever locks and they stopped making them around 1930.
My locks were from the 1800's and were 6 lever locks. Yours could be earlier. How many levers does it claim on the lock? I think it says 4 which means this a really old lock pre-cival war.

The lock is a flat lever lock. Depending on how many levers stated determines the age. I have a few 6 lever locks and they stopped making them around 1930.
My locks were from the 1800's and were 6 lever locks. Yours could be earlier. How many levers does it claim on the lock? I think it says 4 which means this a really old lock pre-cival war.

Hmm. More research is called for. I saw the old catalog ad online, showing this 4 lever lock. The ad was dated 1927. Actual origin/history I don't know.

E.T. Fraim Keystone Lock Co. started out in the 1870s. This "pancake lock" could have been made anywhere from then until the 1950s, as far as I care to research it.

Thanks everyone. It's encouraging to hear some of my finds are a good thing, and not just dumb old junk. I dig plenty genuine dumb ol junk of course, but my odds n ends collection is getting more interesting.

Cool finds. What detector are you swinging and what did the lock show up as?Always curious so I can learn more. I have found quite a few locks; some old, some modern, but it's nice to get something besides clad once in a while.

Cool finds. What detector are you swinging and what did the lock show up as?Always curious so I can learn more. I have found quite a few locks; some old, some modern, but it's nice to get something besides clad once in a while.

I use an old Whites Eagle Spectrum. This padlock was around 6" deep, reading as "quarter", sometimes "half". I don't have a habit of reading the numbers. It was a good, repeatable signal. I suspected a relic when I used the Spectrum's pinpointer trigger. The signal area seemed bigger/stronger than a quarter at 5 inches. I often tend to dig a lot of random metal in hopes for keeper relics like this. I use the Custom Program #1, with a little less disc than Coin/Jewelry. My Custom Program also has my preferred tone and volume settings.

Back
Top Bottom