My first 1 Carat Diamond ring! (EDIT: Video Proof of "real")

Have you ever seen a CZ with a color as off white/yellow as the OP's? Not yellow enough to add value either...

<°)))>{

No I havnt! I'm here to learn! I'm just saying from the pictures, from my limited experience of multiple disappointments, from the pictures I can see where jkon could assess that as faker...Maybe I better go through my junk jar...

No I havnt! I'm here to learn! I'm just saying from the pictures, from my limited experience of multiple disappointments, from the pictures I can see where jkon could assess that as faker...Maybe I better go through my junk jar...

Hey, we're all here learn, I certainly don't know everything lol...

I am looking through a cell phone with a grubby, scratched up screen, it's possible I'm not seeing something you guys are as well...

We can argue just like brothers lol...

<°)))>{

I would guess the first place for the plating (if it was) to wear through would be on those fat prongs.. Those prongs of which look like they could keep the door on a gorilla cage safely shut...

That's a lot of prong for a fake IMO..

I can be wrong, ask my wife lol...

<°)))>{

I know it's not what you want to hear...but the mold that ring came from is worth more than a hundred of those rings. I tell it like it is because that's how I learned some 30 years ago when I found my first "diamond ring."

I know it's not what you want to hear...but the mold that ring came from is worth more than a hundred of those rings. I tell it like it is because that's how I learned some 30 years ago when I found my first "diamond ring."

Buddy, I'm firmly in your camp on this...damn thing looks like junk to me too...I dont have 30yrs experience, but a ton of plated park junkers, faked stamped 14k's and dashed hopes in my 8yrs behind the coil to make me suspicious of about anything I find!...:laughing:

Just by looking at it one can tell how "junky" it is made. It's plated. Yes it's a big FAKE.

Those picture are from out of the ground. Hence the small flecks of dirt. As noted in my edit, the ring has been tested for both gold content and diamonds. Acid tested positive at 14k and everyone of the diamonds tested positive on the diamond tester.

You can rail against the picture, but it's hard to argue with the science behind the testing.

It's 14k white gold and real diamonds. Cheers!!

Not sure the point you are trying to make. As noted it's all been confirmed real.

Just because your "diamond ring" turned out fake doesn't mean they all are. Sorry yours was lousy, but I'm tickled pink with almost 5 grams of gold and all the diamonds in the ring. Woot!

About the only possibility for the main stone is that it is Moisonnite... but thats because my diamond treated can't tell the difference. But even then. The gold isn't fake. It's why I'm getting it appraised.

Buddy, I'm firmly in your camp on this...damn thing looks like junk to me too...I dont have 30yrs experience, but a ton of plated park junkers, faked stamped 14k's and dashed hopes in my 8yrs behind the coil to make me suspicious of about anything I find!...:laughing:

Well, if that's two of you, I'll be happy to post live video of the scratch test and diamond testing when I get home this weekend. I'll also posted better pictures, now that it's been cleaned beyond just a rinse in the sink at work (which is where these photos came from.)

No point in having people think I'm blowing smoke. I've found hundreds of rings over the last few years, and only a couple dozen golds. I not only know the difference beteeen junk and real, but also how to test and confirm.

Cheers!

Skippy

Personally, given where this was found (well-to-do area), I think a ring like this was probably insured. I know if my wife lost her ring (which was pricey), we'd probably just look for a week, claim it on our insurance, and move on.

Once claimed, FINDING the ring could be a problem, as then you've got to figure out how to get the claim check back to the insurance company, and you've probably already spent it. That's a tough situation to be in... As a result, most insured rings don't want to be "found" by their original purchasers after the claims...

I had that exact situation happen. I did a ring recovery for friends of mine. It was a platunum ring and they had it insured. I found out about it shortly after I started the hobby, two years after it was lost and the insurance paid.

The insurance company had to do some serious research to figure out their procedure for returning the money. It caused all kinds of confusion. We got a chuckle out of it.

Those picture are from out of the ground. Hence the small flecks of dirt. As noted in my edit, the ring has been tested for both gold content and diamonds. Acid tested positive at 14k and everyone of the diamonds tested positive on the diamond tester.

You can rail against the picture, but it's hard to argue with the science behind the testing.

It's 14k white gold and real diamonds. Cheers!!

OK! Thats great Skippy! Congratulations on a massive beauty! I got no dog in this fight, I was just saying I cannot tell a damn thing by eye anymore!...Its just so tough to tell nowadays..Especially White Gold....So I could see why jkon questioned the pedigree....Its not like a 'big solid yellow' and easy to tell from a picture......Hell..even though I dont know jkon from dick, or you for that matter, I can see why he commented as he did, just from the pics...No hard feelings intended by me or him I'm guessing ....Well done Brother!..

Nobody needs to blow any smoke here about a find, for what? On an anonymous Forum especially..No profit in that? We are all in a learning process, and I think this whole thread was very helpful to the membership!...

Last edited:
OK! Thats great Skippy! Congratulations on a massive beauty! I got no dog in this fight, I was just saying I cannot tell a damn thing by eye anymore!...Its just so tough to tell nowadays..Especially White Gold....So I could see why jkon questioned the pedigree....Its not like a 'big solid yellow' and easy to tell from a picture......Hell..even though I dont know jkon from dick, or you for that matter, I can see why he commented as he did, just from the pics...No hard feelings intended by me or him I'm guessing ....Well done Brother!..

Nobody needs to blow any smoke here about a find, for what? On an anonymous Forum especially..No profit in that? We are all in a learning process, and I think this whole thread was very helpful to the membership!...

Oh, I didn't take it as any kind of fight, just some folks who looked at the photos and called foul. Often if you've got a couple people actually saying it, there's going to be 10-20 other people thinking it. The pictures are actually pretty crappy because I used zoom on my phone's camera (which doesn't have a real optical zoom, just crops the photo for a close-up). I should have taken better pictures and uploaded them later, but I had to get ready for a business trip that evening, and didn't mess with it, other than to post the pics I did have and share the story and testing.

It's totally legit. Having gone through the testing process already, I'm not concerned about re-doing it, though the scratches will be light, as to not damage any of the intricate detail work on the ring (which, btw, is freaking AMAZING). I'll get closeups with my canon SLR, and those will show the details, much better. I'll even scratch test in a few places do the scale and even diamond test all on the same video, so there's no question it's the same ring. Aside from that, it might be very useful for someone else who wants to know how to test their own rings. It's pretty easy to do. When the 14K passes, and the 18K acid wipes the scrape, it'll be pretty obvious it's a real item. Come to think of it, I'll even scratch test another find to show folks with the same bottle, so people don't get the idea that I've just put water in the bottle or something... I've seen people come up with some pretty hilarious arguments of fraud.. Happy to show the whole process in a very legitimate way.

Why would I go to those lengths? Mostly, because I think it's freaking hilarious that jkon got so worked up over it, wanting to be right. I mean seriously, I already said I tested it, and he STILL responded that it was fake (which is dang funny, if you really think about it). But then after I laughed about it, I remembered a few stories of the great lengths that people have gone to in forums to perpetrate fraud of some kind. I'm not that guy, and am more than happy to back this up with evidence. Mostly, though, because it'll show people coming to the thread that you CAN prove jewelry is real with testing.

I'm more than happy to show the whole situation, if it shuts down complaints on the the next guy who posts a picture of an intricate ring with dirt still on it, it's worth it.

For me, there's NO reason to have doubts. In the last two years, I've found 127 and 239 rings respectively, with 13 gold rings in year 1 +1 silver and gold cross, and 19 gold rings in year 2 + 1 gold earring, and 1 gold bracelet (and one platinum for a surprise find in November.) This year, I'm on number 21 so far on ring counts with 2 silvers and 4 golds. Best ratio yet. I doubt it'll hold. My point is, with all those rings found, I have no reason to second guess. I've got test kits.

And frankly, after that many rings (more than 1 a month gold, and 18-20 a month junkers), I've gotten to the point that I'm not calling junk "real" anyway. There's no point. Delusion is not part of the fun of the hobby. I've got plenty of junk rings that look amazing, and they usually are figured out within seconds of pulling them, and plated rings, I've only been fooled by a couple of FRESH heavy gold electroplate drops. Everything else, the plating is obvious with either worn spots or flaking. There's no flaking or worn spots on this ring, it's SOLID... and the weight is right, too. Again though, everything real gets tested anyway. It's something my son and I do to celebrate together after a good find. It's like our little "confirmation of awesome." And stones? They ALWAYS get tested, because we've found enough gold rings with fake diamonds (sapphires, CZ, or others) set in them that we know better.

My son's first "diamond" ring we think is actually just a white sapphire. It definitely failed the diamond tester, but not in the same way that CZ would...which is why we have the tester! It actually makes me smile thinking about getting home and live showing the testing.

The only piece (and you'll see this in the testing) is that while the large stone hits the diamond level in the tester, it doesn't do it nearly as "fast" as I'd expect with a larger stone. Makes me wonder if it's not Moissonite, which CAN have a slight yellow tint... but even then, this is REALLY yellow, and odd. So.. it passes the diamond tester test, is definitely a "real" stone (it has flaws), and is set with a bunch of real diamonds. All that just screams "get it appraised." Which is the next stop, though I'll probably take it to Fred Meyer and have them test the main stone for Moisonnite first. As it stands though, the test still rings it up as "Diamond" and I'm going with that until otherwise shown. But, as I already noted, I'm having it checked.

But the ring? Definitely 14K gold. Lots of small detail work, and it's just a beauty to behold. My wife, though, thinks it's gaudy and ugly as snot. LOL She's very much into plain and simple (I'll run a comparison on the video of her ring's diamonds tested as a comparison, along with some fakes).

Basically, I'm looking forward to doing the vid...

Cheers!

Skippy

Well, jkon, to quote someone I know, "I know it's not what you want to hear...but," the ring is REAL.

See for yourself, buddy. :) If the playback links don't work for you, the URL is below each vid.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=7SoIZ3iWln8

And a better closeup view without the dirt flecks, or weird lighting shadows (in video!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYfXtsEwulI

Skippy

Last edited:
Now THATS how you test a find there! Excellent work Skip! This is important for everyone to know how to evaluate a finds value...If you dont learn from this, you will get ripped on the resale of the Find of a Lifetime for sure...Thanks for this Skip...I gotta think it will help a lot of members!!

MUD you stated you don't know jkon from dick , I suggest that be better posted in the getting older thread :lol: ,,,,,HH

Now THATS how you test a find there! Excellent work Skip! This is important for everyone to know how to evaluate a finds value...If you dont learn from this, you will get ripped on the resale of the Find of a Lifetime for sure...Thanks for this Skip...I gotta think it will help a lot of members!!

And that's just it... When I pulled it out of the ground, the gem was so big, and the detail work "just fine enough" that it collected dirt particles, that my first impression was "junk." I didn't even stop to video the pull, because I was sure it was. But there's some tell-tale things that just didn't add up to "junk," and they're just too easy to test in the field. Density of the object is a big one, and this ring was dense. Has a nice heft to it. A hallmark is another, and this one said 14K. And the fog test... which passed, strongly indicated a diamond, followed by the not "perfectly clear" stone (indiciating CZ), all resulted in me immediately re-evaluating to a 95% probability of "real," and that was all before I even stood up! My original post was from work (Was a lunch-time hunt), and the testing Edit was when I confirmed it at home.

I do hope that this post, and video demonstrate just how EASY it is to test things. For the cost of a couple outings of clad, you can get your own test equipment. Self-funding hobby. :)

Cheers!
Skippy

Thanks for sharing the details of your testing Skipper!

I thought, high end, real deal, from the start...

If a junker has that much detail, and that many stones, usually many of at least the smaller stones would have fallen out and been lost in the hole, or before it was dropped...

Congrats, and you did another amazing thing, you got Jkon to post twice in the same year!

<°)))>{

It's time we settle this ! Send me the ring and I will verify its value , for free !
:lol: you can trust me :grin: , waiting for your PM , ,,,,,HH

Thanks for sharing the details of your testing Skipper!

I thought, high end, real deal, from the start...

If a junker has that much detail, and that many stones, usually many of at least the smaller stones would have fallen out and been lost in the hole, or before it was dropped...

Congrats, and you did another amazing thing, you got Jkon to post twice in the same year!

<°)))>{

Oh yeah, That reminds me of another "tell-tale" item that can help confirm something is real. Setting a stone in metal is an expensive process, since it is not easily mechanically done. most junk rings are held in by glue, or by tension settings. When the stones are held in with metal that is actually jeweler melted (will look like a little blob of a post... like a rivet), that's a strong indicator that it was at least set by hand.

Good to note! Yep... All stones accounted for!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom