Still in shock best coin ever

I’ve been thinking of what to say ever since this was posted. There’s nothing to say. I would’ve dropped dead.

I’ve been thinking of what to say ever since this was posted. There’s nothing to say. I would’ve dropped dead.

I nearly did. Here she is cleaned up some more

Attachments

• A6DEC740-E427-4315-8371-4894F3102B51.jpg
    A6DEC740-E427-4315-8371-4894F3102B51.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 252
:okpeople: :dingding:
:wow2: W:shock:W! :wow2:

That is a fantastic find, Toasted! Major congratulations! :woot:

I looked out and saw snow today (actually for the last few weeks, but today included, lol)! :lotsasnow::snowtruck: :lol:

watch out! here it comes! minnesnowtah! ehe! heh! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Wow, what a find! They are incredibly scarce here in MA, and you are digging one in Maryland... Great job. You found the coin we are all looking for here in Massachusetts. That is my dream coin for sure.

Note: While the date on the coin says 1652, there were no Pine Tree shillings minted in 1652. This was the year the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony authorized the minting of coinage in the colony. The Pine Tree was minted starting in 1667 until the authorization to mint coinage expired in 1682.

Willow Tree coins (the rarest and most valuable of the tree shillings) were minted 1652-1659. Oak Tree coins were minted 1660-1667. Only the Oak Tree twopence had a date different from 1652 - that date was 1662.

Wow, what a find! They are incredibly scarce here in MA, and you are digging one in Maryland... Great job. You found the coin we are all looking for here in Massachusetts. That is my dream coin for sure.

Note: While the date on the coin says 1652, there were no Pine Tree shillings minted in 1652. This was the year the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony authorized the minting of coinage in the colony. The Pine Tree was minted starting in 1667 until the authorization to mint coinage expired in 1682.

Willow Tree coins (the rarest and most valuable of the tree shillings) were minted 1652-1659. Oak Tree coins were minted 1660-1667. Only the Oak Tree twopence had a date different from 1652 - that date was 1662.

Thanks. Cut pieces are found in the MidAtlantic. I found one last year but a full shilling dug outside of New England is almost unheard of

Last edited:
Man toasted you are my mentor and my hero. Unbelievable find once in a lifetime find if that. Congratulations my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been off the forums a few weeks and come back to this awesome post...congrats! That is one sweet coin!

Last edited:
Im pretty sure this one was clipped like this by the mint as its weight is very close to what one should weigh. The planchets used for these were not uniform so clipping was sometimes necessary I have seen some with similar clips but I dont think its as common as the rounder ones

You can't write or show history any better than this. Sometime, 1000 yrs. from now, someone's gonna be data-mining FMDF. They'll find this post, and put the name "toasted" in along side of other famous historians and archies ! Good job !

I nearly did. Here she is cleaned up some more

phenomenal find! you also know the history of the coin.
a friend of mine found one of these at a very old church in
groton, mass around 1978,i think it was. it was found in a small
park at the base of an ancient elm tree directly in front of the church.
initially, he didn't know what he had.was struck 1662,and it is a '"willow tree" shilling, one of the rare ones.he still has it to this day.some of the first "yankee farmers" had them and they are sometimes found in farmer's fields. one of the early settlers must have lost his at the church one sunday morning so long ago

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I had a lady friend who was a coin dealer. She used to buy bags of foreign coins and sell them for a dime apiece. While going through one bag she bought she found a Pine tree Shilling. Who ever bagged the coins didn't know what it was and figured that it must be a foreign coin. My friend knew what it was and ended up selling it for a good amount.

Found about 100 yards away from an area that has given up some early colonial stuff. Dug it and thought what is this weird square piece of metal. Looked closer saw the date and about had a heart attack

Congrats on an outstanding find.

Your description of how you found it is virtually what happened to me last week. Dug a strange looking piece of metal and tossed it into My trash pouch. For reasons I don’t understand I added it to some pennies going into the tumbler. Later I glanced at it and then gave it a hard look and put it under my magnifier. Saw a crown with a Roman numeral III. Sent pics to several coin forums and they confirmed it’s a Phillip (Felipe) III cob, 1598-1621. A first for me

Again, great find.

Attachments

• CD50BC2B-5253-46EA-9922-33D043F8F50B.jpg
    CD50BC2B-5253-46EA-9922-33D043F8F50B.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 120
  • C6FF70BE-CB9F-40B9-B3AA-86D68AA9F8D8.jpg
    C6FF70BE-CB9F-40B9-B3AA-86D68AA9F8D8.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 7831B023-8E75-41E0-A271-7C06CDF31449.jpg
    7831B023-8E75-41E0-A271-7C06CDF31449.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 106
Back