1838 Texas 10 Bond

montanamuzik

Elite Member
Supposed to do some research on this for a friend. Any help would be great. He found it about 30 years ago inside of some books he salvaged from an old homestead in OK. Sorry for the bad pic, I took it with my phone and don't know what is happening with the resolution when I tried to send it to my computer.

No 1835 The Government of Texas, this is an 1837 Bond hand dated Nov 1838. Houston, Hand signed Henry Smith (Treas) Sam Houston (Pres) is a printed signature.

He said he checked a bit and it is not cancelled or redeemed or whatever but I have just begun to poke around on the internet so I'm not sure how to tell or if it even matters when it comes to value. Thanks in advance ~ montanamuzik

Attachments

• texas bond.jpg
    texas bond.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 209
The picture is way too small to see. Try uploading it to an image hosting site like photobucket or imageshack etc. and copy and paste the forum embedding link.

I'll maybe just swing by and get some pics with my good camera. I know how to download those. Could be wrong that the Sam Houston signature is printed. I just guessed because it looks a little different than the hand written dates, numbers and Treas signature but I see each is a little different from what I have seen on line. Haven't been able to find one yet that hasn't been canceled.

See if this works.....

Attachments

• jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 224.jpg
    jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 224.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 206
  • jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 225.jpg
    jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 225.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 205
  • jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 227.jpg
    jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 227.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 206
  • jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 229.jpg
    jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 229.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 207
  • jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 230.jpg
    jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj 230.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 209
thats an awesome chunk of texas history i wouldnt even care much about value i would just frame and display it. but im from texas.

Assuming its legit - in the condition that it appears to be in I'd say somewhere in the 150-400 range but thats just a guess based on previous sales of the same note in varying conditions.

You can go to ebay and search under completed auctions for 1838 Texas $10

Thanks. Been looking around a bit but haven't been able to find an "uncancelled" example. (I'm sure there is another name for it) All I can find have been "cancelled" or "cut cancelled" They either have slices in one or several places, or shapes cut out of them or stamped or a combination of those things. I think there are a couple of guys on here that know currency pretty well and I thought coins were confusing.

Back
Top Bottom