Who else likes the Blues?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Robert Johnson...anyone know who I'm talking about? Led Zeppelin's popular "Traveling Riverside Blues" is actually a Robert Johnson song.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Robert Johnson...anyone know who I'm talking about? Led Zeppelin's popular "Traveling Riverside Blues" is actually a Robert Johnson song.

Sure,folklore states he sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads. He only recorded a handful of songs but influenced a lot of musicians that came after him, including Eric Clapton.

I tell you what...Sonny Landreth...Mark Knopfler...Blue Tarp Blues..

Theres a subculture of Blues Lovers in nearly everytown, sometimes it takes some luck to find them though...A few years back me and the Wife were outside a bar smoking on the sidewalk with another strange Lady. During the conversation, which was lively, she invited us to attend a private Blues Session at her house...So we did...

Her Husband and Her were deep into it, in their former life, they owned a fleet of bars and booked all kinds of top end Blues Artists for many years, and retained the contacts and relationships...It was by private invitation only..BYOB or whatever...Small crowd...Top Shelf artists you'd pay a $100 to see anywhere else...held the concerts inside a 100yr old barn on their property, everyone sat on a bale of hay and just friggin chilled!...

Damndest thing! We met some very interesting like minded people and enjoyed it immensely! Young up and comers too! Some of these kids sure could work an axe and had the Blues Spirit!! For several years we went out there every weekend! My only regret is I never asked to detect that old property!:laughing: We like big brass too..Like at Tipitinas in Norleans...
Mud

Last edited:
I tell you what...Sonny Landreth...Mark Knopfler...Blue Tarp Blues..

Theres a subculture of Blues Lovers in nearly everytown, sometimes it takes some luck to find them though...A few years back me and the Wife were outside a bar smoking on the sidewalk with another strange Lady. During the conversation, which was lively, she invited us to attend a private Blues Session at her house...So we did...

Her Husband and Her were deep into it, in their former life, they owned a fleet of bars and booked all kinds of top end Blues Artists for many years, and retained the contacts and relationships...It was by private invitation only..BYOB or whatever...Small crowd...Top Shelf artists you'd pay a $100 to see anywhere else...held the concerts inside a 100yr old barn on their property, everyone sat on a bale of hay and just friggin chilled!...

Damndest thing! We met some very interesting like minded people and enjoyed it immensely! Young up and comers too! Some of these kids sure could work an axe and had the Blues Spirit!! For several years we went out there every weekend! My only regret is I never asked to detect that old property!:laughing: We like big brass too..Like at Tipitinas in Norleans...
Mud

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Funny how some of the best things in life happen by accident.

Always been a huge Rory Gallagher fan. I never really listened to much Jeff Healey back in the day, but have been sort of turning on to his stuff recently. Was watching a video of him playing "look at little sister" with SRV.. Even though it wasn't some sort of competition, I liked Jeff's part more.

"Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin" was mentioned - caught him years ago playing with Hubert Sumlin.

Robert Johnson's crying high pitched scratchy recordings are soothing like lullaby music to my ears.

C'mon, nobody mentioned Robin Trower.....:yes: "Bridge of Sighs".....life changing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOB9pt9UKNc

"Too Rolling Stoned" and "Day Of The Eagle" are two of my Favorite Trower tunes. That intro to Day of the Eagle is boss! I used to jam both those tunes on my Ludwigs back in the day. Another good tune is SRV's version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile".

Last edited:
"Too Rolling Stoned" and "Day Of The Eagle" are two of my Favorite Trower tunes. That intro to Day of the Eagle is boss! I used to jam both those tunes on my Ludwigs back in the day. Another good tune is SRV's version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile".

Yes sir.....:yes:

Have you ever listened to Lucky Peterson ? I like older blues like Willie Dixon, Lightnin' Hopkins, BB King, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Taj Mahal......

Back
Top Bottom