Midwest Refineries *Updated*

Gamecocks

Ok check this out and see what you make of this. I sent in a 14k gold ring to test out Midwest Refineries. I weighed the ring as 11.3 grams, they got it weighed at 0.363 troy oz's. Ok no biggie there translate to grams and thats 11.29.

So at the market price on my receipt is 1365.00. They recieved it on 12/13/10. Settlement date is 12/17/10. So at that price I figured I would receive $274.00. Which is 95% of the value of the gold. My receipt says that my total settlement is $250.00. The check is for $50.00.:mad:

So I gotta call tomorrow and see whats up with this. Not a good experience for my first time with them.

Next time use ARA,, best place I have found,,:D

http://www.aragold.com/

Tim

Agreed!!! I have used www.aragold.com 2 times already with GREAT results and they have awesome customer service!! They only take 2%, paying you 98%!!! Please use them next time as I have been hearing lately that Midwest has been screwing up a lot! ARA Gold is the place to go! Good Luck!

Well I won't be using them again. Even thought they are sending me another check I didn't feel like I was a valued customer. Sure my order was small but I'm still a customer.

The guy Gary answered the phone, seemed very rude and like he hates his job. And you know what? After hearing there nonchalant attitudes I didn't even bother with the $24 extra I feel I should have gotten.

You know it takes months to find a customer and only a second to lose one. I will be sending Gary an email with a link to this thread.

Something sure has changed there. Gary is probably tired from all the complaints.
I remember years back they were the place to send your gold too but they have to understand they aren't the only ones out there either.
They just opened up competition from other buyers, whereas before there was none.
I seriously think they were bought out and are now under new management.

Well there website says that it is a family owned business. His grandfather started the business and now he is the man in charge. If I was in his shoes I would have been very apologetic. He was not.

Here is the email I sent Gary. I will post if I get anything back from him. I doubt I will.

Dear Gary,

I recently used your company to test you guys out. I sent in just one 14k gold ring to see the results. At 0.363 troy oz's and the market price on my receipt as $1,365.00. I figured to recieve a check for $274.00. Which is 95% of the value of 0.363 troy oz's of 14k gold. My settlement was for $250.00. My check came in for $50.00. I spoke with you this morning about it and the lady you transfered me to said they will send me another check for $200.00. I was going to say something about the $24.00 difference, but after hearing the attitudes over there I didn't even bother with it. Your website says that you are all about customer service and how you want repeat customers. I did not feel like you valued my business at all. To say I am very dissapointed is a understatment too. I had read mostly good reviews about your company along with a few not so good ones. So I decided to give you a shot at my business. It was not a good experience. I don't even remember hearing "oh were sorry about that, let me take care of that for you." You know maybe it was just a bad goof on you guys part. Maybe I caught you on a bad day, I don't know.

As an avid metal detector I am a member of the Friendly Metal Detecting forum. I have posted about my experiece with you there. I was reccomended to send to you and not ARA because people where happy with your business. To sum it all up here is all that had to happen for you to keep my business and for me to make a positive review of you. A heartfelt apology. Words reassuing me that it was a bad mistake and that it would never happen again. To hear that you appreciate my business when there are other companiies who do the same thing. To hear that you hope to have my business again.

Here is the email I sent Gary. I will post if I get anything back from him. I doubt I will.

Dear Gary,

I recently used your company to test you guys out. I sent in just one 14k gold ring to see the results. At 0.363 troy oz's and the market price on my receipt as $1,365.00. I figured to recieve a check for $274.00. Which is 95% of the value of 0.363 troy oz's of 14k gold. My settlement was for $250.00. My check came in for $50.00. I spoke with you this morning about it and the lady you transfered me to said they will send me another check for $200.00. I was going to say something about the $24.00 difference, but after hearing the attitudes over there I didn't even bother with it. Your website says that you are all about customer service and how you want repeat customers. I did not feel like you valued my business at all. To say I am very dissapointed is a understatment too. I had read mostly good reviews about your company along with a few not so good ones. So I decided to give you a shot at my business. It was not a good experience. I don't even remember hearing "oh were sorry about that, let me take care of that for you." You know maybe it was just a bad goof on you guys part. Maybe I caught you on a bad day, I don't know.

As an avid metal detector I am a member of the Friendly Metal Detecting forum. I have posted about my experiece with you there. I was reccomended to send to you and not ARA because people where happy with your business. To sum it all up here is all that had to happen for you to keep my business and for me to make a positive review of you. A heartfelt apology. Words reassuing me that it was a bad mistake and that it would never happen again. To hear that you appreciate my business when there are other companiies who do the same thing. To hear that you hope to have my business again.

Sounds good but did you mean to send to ARA rather than Midwest? Because everyone is recommending ARA? :yes:

I sent some gold out to ARA a week ago today via Priority Insured Mail, yadda, yadda. If I get a check back before Christmas I'll be very impressed. I'll let ya'll know what happens...:yes:

Dusty

Same here as Dusty Loins - sent some in 1 week ago, will post when it comes. Up till now I have used Midwest - always good results - but thought I'd try ARA out. steve in so az

Seems the old midwest has gotten screwy and greedy.. I have hear nothing but bad about them for the last 6 months at least.. ARA is the only way to go..am sending mine in too to ARA... I think midwest ripped me off the one time I used them as well..so bag it..done with that company..

Dustyloins

How do you like your MXT as compared to your X-Terra 705 for coin shooting.

I have an MXT now with both the 12", 4 X 6 shooter and a 6 x 9 and I find a lot of clad, but not many gold rings.

I'm in the market to buy another detector and I'm not sure what I want to get. The majority of my time is spent working on coins and jewelry. I have a
Gold Bug 2 for prospecting. I was looking at a new MXT Pro, DFX or maybe a V3i. Got any Ideas to lshare with me. Any insight will help. I appreciate all of the
people that share their knowledge on this forum.

Have you had the opportunity to use the DX-1 probe?

MXT-300, Gold Bug 2, Ace 250, 4 x6, 6 x 9, 12", Bullseye, leasche. 2010 (6 months) Clad $450.00, Gold Rings(3), Silver Rings (15), Gold Bangle (1) 10 wheaties, 2 rosies and 15 pounds of pull tabs and a box of hot wheels cars, 10 pounds of relic type pieces.

Well, the X-Terra 705 has a higher frequency (18.75 vs 14 for the MXT) and I have found small nuggets with it as well as with my Gold Bug SE. I've only had my MXT a short time and have only used it coinshooting around town.......it does a fantastic job in that respect. If you're hunting really small gold/nuggets, the 705 is probably the better choice, but you'll be happy with either one. The 18.75 freq coil will work on coins, but you might miss some larger silver.

Dusty

4X6 or 6X10 both work really well from what I've read/heard. I bought the 6X10 to cover a little more area in less time.

Dusty

My turnaround time with ARA from the date of mailing out to recieving check was 9 days. I sent in a small ring just to test the waters as they seemed too good to be true and so simple to complete a transaction. My ring weighed .98 DWT and I got my check for 65.00 and was pleased with the service.

Back
Top Bottom