Salty Vinegar & Brass Brush on many coins.

I know, I know. Please understand that many coin collectors have a neurotic obsession with the treatment of coins, we can get weird about it:lol:.
Please just promise us one thing- you'll carefully check all coins for key or semi-key dates/mintmarks before you scour them.

Oh, and try the glass scouring powder for silver, instead of the brass brush, trust me.

Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.

Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.

I paid $5 once for a $200 coin... ive also paid 5 cents for a 600$ coin. I can say that some of the coins you cleaned are not cheap by any means.

Then I guess I got a screaming deal! ;)

possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.

possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.

Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.

Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.

Heres a pic. I can say 1909 ih pennys are about 16 in g-4 and large cents are 20-30 in g-4

SANY1332.JPG

I have to say ,as a coin dealer, you're making me cringe with those photos. You took coins with nice natural toning and completely ruined them and totally destroyed their value in the process. The luster doesn't match the wear of the coin and it just looks horrible. I suppose as long as you like it, that's all that matters, but suggesting this method to others is doing this forum a disservice imo.

Oh the humanity!

Heres a pic. I can say 1909 ih pennys are about 16 in g-4 and large cents are 20-30 in g-4

SANY1332.JPG

If you believe that, I'll sell you full rolls for $5 a coin. You can more than triple your money.

Yes I'm serious.

Any brushing on a valuable coin, even with a soft brass brush, will literally destroy their resale value. I'm afraid I have to agree with swinglow, you have ruined these coins and I hope no one else tries this with their valuable finds.

Any brushing on a valuable coin, even with a soft brass brush, will literally destroy their resale value. I'm afraid I have to agree with swinglow, you have ruined these coins and I hope no one else tries this with their valuable finds.

+1 I'm a lifelong coin collector and I agree. If you are doing it to please yourself, and don't care about the ending value of the coin, it is your property to do with as you wish. The 1909 Indian cent was the color and toning that it should be for its age and condition. Stripping the patina makes it undesirable for a coin collector, as the result is an unnatural color + scratches. I'm Posting only to make you aware of the consequences of this process on collectible coins. Seriously, you can have a $500 dollar coin and polish it into a coin having only bullion value. This does not apply so much to very worn or corroded coins, as they are collectible more as relics than rare coins. My 2cents. :duck:

If you believe that, I'll sell you full rolls for $5 a coin. You can more than triple your money.

Yes I'm serious.

Not sure how i passed this... if your willing to sell my a full roll of 1909 ihp i'll take ya up, the price dropped a bit for retail but still worth 11-16 ea according to ngc, although red book lists them for more

I have to say ,as a coin dealer, you're making me cringe with those photos. You took coins with nice natural toning and completely ruined them and totally destroyed their value in the process. The luster doesn't match the wear of the coin and it just looks horrible. I suppose as long as you like it, that's all that matters, but suggesting this method to others is doing this forum a disservice imo.

Oh the humanity!

That was my thought exactly when I first started reading this thread! :shock:

Jeez! This is why archies don't want us digging up artifacts, because ignorant metal detectorists end up vandalizing them!

And to the OP and others who plan to do this vandalizing of coins, who "don't plan on selling them", let me tell you something. When you are dead and buried, your heirs will want to sell them. They will look in the coin books and magazines and think that they hit the jackpot. Then a knowledgeable coin dealer will tell them your coins are next to worthless, because you ruined them with your idea of beauty, and probably won't offer them anything for them. Please, please realize that we are only stewards of our possessions, and that someday we will shuffle off to a dirt nap, and leave everything behind to others. How we preserve artifacts for future generations to appreciate and learn from is important.

Sorry for the sermon, but I'm a student of history, and this is important to me. I apologize if I offended anyone, but it had to be said--I feel that strongly about it.

Not sure how i passed this... if your willing to sell my a full roll of 1909 ihp i'll take ya up, the price dropped a bit for retail but still worth 11-16 ea according to ngc, although red book lists them for more

Don't follow NGC prices as those are for NGC slabbed coins. You still have to pay for the grading. And their is always a small premium for graded coins. Wolf

Don't follow NGC prices as those are for NGC slabbed coins. You still have to pay for the grading. And their is always a small premium for graded coins. Wolf

While that may be, most of the prices listed are below book value, I can imagine the higher end having more value though, but from what ive seen they just track ebay listings and see what the coins go for and sometimes the links they bring you to are non ngc, but nothing beets book value

Dude you ruined all of those coins, especially the silver coins. Please don't spread this as valid coin cleaning information. Please do your research next time.

Back
Top Bottom