Equinox get everything?

How long in between the two hunts? My equinox hits hard on quarters, I have a hard time believing you got your coil over those missed quarters with the nox.

To me it don't matter how long between hunts because most of the quarters were down in the ground, and there was plenty of moisture in the ground both times.

I have showed from test the Equinox will hit on some targets the F75 cant. It will also hit some deep targets that the F75 calls iron. F75 is a solid Detector but Tech is moving on.... I wish the Equinox was as comfortable as the F75 though.

I can appreciate your effort here but your "comparison" also shows that the F75 doesn't hit nickels very well; unless the Equinox found all but one from the same exact area. With that being said, the Equinox DID find pretty much everything as far as nickels go and we know that most detectors struggle with nickels. The Equinox found more dimes as well. I work in chemical engineering; there is always more than one way to interpret data.
Test gardens produce better head-to-head comparisons by far.:yes:

I call the Equinox 800 my nickel magnet.
As far as test gardens for comparisons, most people that do them NEVER show the settings they use on the detectors that they compare.

Actually Etrac is detecting more nickels than folks think. ID is being scrambled.
Nox ID more spot on when nickel is near ferrous vs Etrac. Highly suspect CTX too, got rid of mine though, so future head to head using CTX impossible.
Other detectors too are struggling with this.

I may do a video to show folks.

Now some folks will be quick to point out that Etrac I’d I see more accurate than Nox.
Meaning if you dig 13 conductive signals using Etrac you definitely will dig less junk. But if you hunt a site only digging these, have you necessarily got all the nickels??? Good chance No.

With Equinox if you dig all the 13 reading signals you will no doubt dig more junk vs Etrac but fewer nickels will be missed vs Etrac.

This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
You see folks using say Etrac, they dig based on ID and yes they do make incredible finds. And since they do, they are satisfied. The thought never crosses their mind they left say nickels in the ground.

On the flip side Etrac is better IDing higher conductive near ferrrous in some cases vs Equinox.
So I had rather say a site is purged of say silver when busted hard with Etrac and a few coils vs Equinox hard hunted site.

Assuming here the Etrac user knows how to properly operate at high degree of efficiency.

You know I read a few days ago, where a very experienced detectorists said Minelab engineers were bad ground experts as far a small detector go.
Maybe so, but I think they are also Emi experts too.

Something to think about.
Is my info above true or false.
Have folks been watching forums and finds as far as Equinox.
Notice the nickel hauls.
Fbs/fbs2 detectors have been crawling around in parks for years now.
How come the Noxers are still finding nickels older??
Deus has been crawling around in parks too.

Last edited:
No detector finds everything , sometimes just a different detector , no matter which one it is , can make a difference. Though if you clean the ground out with an equinox....its pretty clean.

That being said , you hunted in one mode and with a single group of settings , when there are many. Not trying to be a smart alec , but the NOX is like multiple detectors in one , depending on how you set it up.....you used just one of them. The NOX just " might " have actually found everything or close to it , if you hit the same ground with the machine set up a few different ways. ;)

No detector finds everything , sometimes just a different detector , no matter which one it is , can make a difference. Though if you clean the ground out with an equinox....its pretty clean.

That being said , you hunted in one mode and with a single group of settings , when there are many. Not trying to be a smart alec , but the NOX is like multiple detectors in one , depending on how you set it up.....you used just one of them. The NOX just " might " have actually found everything or close to it , if you hit the same ground with the machine set up a few different ways. ;)

Bingo!!!

I will be showing a video soon with a few test, showing multi frequency can miss good targets (ID) wise where another detector single freq has higher chance of nabbing.
I’ll bet someone here already knows what I am going to show.

I used the settings that lots of people use on the Equinox. I could of tried other settings.
Also I only used one set of settings on the F75 LTD, and could of tried more settings.

I've methodically grid searched small front yards north/south and then east/west and then afterward meandered around the same front yard with no set pattern and found even more good targets. The thing that has me scratching my head is that the good targets that I missed before will hit at all sweep directions. The only fair way to test detectors against each other is to compare them on the same targets BEFORE they're dug.

Also, two detectors that are close to being equal when it comes to performance testing can be misleading because the detector that performed slightly less in the testing could be a lot more fun to use and therefore find more good targets. Detecting is suppose to be about having fun.

beephead

I've methodically grid searched small front yards north/south and then east/west and then afterward meandered around the same front yard with no set pattern and found even more good targets. The thing that has me scratching my head is that the good targets that I missed before will hit at all sweep directions. The only fair way to test detectors against each other is to compare them on the same targets BEFORE they're dug.

Also, two detectors that are close to being equal when it comes to performance testing can be misleading because the detector that performed slightly less in the testing could be a lot more fun to use and therefore find more good targets. Detecting is suppose to be about having fun.

beephead

Very true.

beephead

I've caught #$%^ stating this same thing. But I agree 100%. Nail boards, air testing and test gardens have usefulness, but not too valuable for comparisons

I used the settings that lots of people use on the Equinox. I could of tried other settings.
Also I only used one set of settings on the F75 LTD, and could of tried more settings.

I often hunt with something close to those settings. But after the ground has been covered that way I still have park 1 , field 1 , field 2....etc. , as well as the single frequencies. Each of those options are going to have a different perspective on the targets in the ground. Usually when you alter a setting or change the mode , there is a tradeoff.....you may get a little less of one ability or aspect but you gain more of another. Each time I go back over already covered ground I find things I missed anyway , but in a different setting the detector is taking a different look into target profile and/or ground interference and can yield different results. Even within the particular settings you used , raising the sensitivity and slowing the recovery speed can give the detector a more accurate look at deeper targets , and doing the opposite can help pick out more goodies when the targets are shallower and more dense. Each adjustment to the setup gives a potential unique look at the ground as with any detector , but there are just so many more possible adjustments possible with the nox than most other detectors

Last edited:
A nox 800 story! I got a Nox 800 about a week ago. First time out I found a Buffalo nickel a first for me. Second hunt this past Friday afternoon I was at a spot that has been detected by many people. Five guys have really hammered the place including myself. Detectors I know have been used are AT Pro's, CTX, Etrac, Whites XLT, and Nokta Impact which was me. This particular spot I had pulled 4 silver dimes using the small coil on the Impact behind the a fore mentioned detectors. One particular patch of ground around a pecan tree I had hit really hard with the Impact many times this past summer I always hit it first because it's close to where I park and has yielded silver coins for me.
I just started swinging in Park 1. One of the guys who detects pulls up and gets out to show me what he had found across the road. So I am swinging with one ear cup on and one off so I can hear the guy talking to me and I get a very short high tone reading in quarter range, but the numbers were jumpy and I could only get the signal in one tiny spot. It's reading all the shovels depth wise so I dig a pretty deep plug and start trying to use my pin pointer on the plug. Its going off inside the plug and I start pulling out rusty nails. Guy says target was falsing nails. I pulled several big and small nails out of plug then at least one in the hole and still had a signal so took another poke with my digger and flip my first ever SLQ up. It was extremely worn, but I did not care. I said oh boy and he said what you got? I handed it to him and he was very surprised it came out of all those nails.
One day this past summer after a good rain I spent a lot of time around the pecan tree with the small coil on the Impact. There is no way I had not had a coil over this spot where I dug the SLQ. There is no way many others have not had a coil over this quarter.
I'm sure you can miss stuff with the Nox, but you can also find stuff others have missed!

Attachments

• SLQ1.jpg
    SLQ1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 136
  • SLQ2.jpg
    SLQ2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 138
I've caught #$%^ stating this same thing. But I agree 100%. Nail boards, air testing and test gardens have usefulness, but not too valuable for comparisons

Yep, pretty much all of this. I've never detected two 2x4's stacked on top of each other with a dime or a button on the lower board and a nail an inch away. However I have dug silver coins in trash by listening for the slightest high beep. It will always be about knowing your detector with a sprinkle of luck than staged test.

Actually Etrac is detecting more nickels than folks think. ID is being scrambled.
Nox ID more spot on when nickel is near ferrous vs Etrac. Highly suspect CTX too, got rid of mine though, so future head to head using CTX impossible.
Other detectors too are struggling with this.

I may do a video to show folks.

Now some folks will be quick to point out that Etrac I’d I see more accurate than Nox.
Meaning if you dig 13 conductive signals using Etrac you definitely will dig less junk. But if you hunt a site only digging these, have you necessarily got all the nickels??? Good chance No.

With Equinox if you dig all the 13 reading signals you will no doubt dig more junk vs Etrac but fewer nickels will be missed vs Etrac.

This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
You see folks using say Etrac, they dig based on ID and yes they do make incredible finds. And since they do, they are satisfied. The thought never crosses their mind they left say nickels in the ground.

On the flip side Etrac is better IDing higher conductive near ferrrous in some cases vs Equinox.
So I had rather say a site is purged of say silver when busted hard with Etrac and a few coils vs Equinox hard hunted site.

Assuming here the Etrac user knows how to properly operate at high degree of efficiency.

You know I read a few days ago, where a very experienced detectorists said Minelab engineers were bad ground experts as far a small detector go.
Maybe so, but I think they are also Emi experts too.

Something to think about.
Is my info above true or false.
Have folks been watching forums and finds as far as Equinox.
Notice the nickel hauls.
Fbs/fbs2 detectors have been crawling around in parks for years now.
How come the Noxers are still finding nickels older??
Deus has been crawling around in parks too.

I have an 800 and my F75 is still better at nickels.

Little video I did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EewdOH7wy20

Try the F75 on this test. I’ll bet it don’t do what Nox does in video using single 5khz ops.

Remember in the wild detecting, I used a nickel in video. In the wild a pull ring or other lower couductive could be in place of nickel and do more of less the same thing as far as masking the dime for ID or other higher conductive coin.

Back
Top Bottom