A Wonderful Property Owner and an Amazing Coin

PlasteredDragon

Elite Member
Private property hunt in Ashby today leads to an amazing Discovery, and a really nice guy. The story is a little funny. I show up at noon to detect on a piece of property that I received permission to hunt on, the owner is very congenial, he tells me the house was built in the 70s, but the land is very old.

So I figure that may very well be something worth finding here. After a few hours, I've recovered over a buck in change, but apart from a 1949 wheat penny nothing particularly old.

Since I had brought my second detector with me, I offered to show the homeowner how to use it so he could give it a try. He was interested and gave it a shot. His first coin was a modern quarter, his second coin was an 1887 seated liberty dime, a bucket lister for most detectorists, and a very hard coin to find these days. It's really an excellent find.

I did help him recover it, but it was his find so I said he should keep it, though I did offer to buy it from him. We enjoyed a wonderful day detecting. I got to meet his kids and they got a chance to detect and dig finds. I think that had fun too.

I'll definitely have to go back there... Big yard with some neighboring farm fields that I might be able to get on.

When I was packing up, the home owner gave me the seated liberty dime... It was really touching. There are some good people in the world and I am glad I got to meet some today. :D

37161677674_3a16a3fb9c_o.jpg

What a Great day! Everyone involved found some nice treasure just by the meeting and Detecting experience together...Great post!

Great story, sounds like a great day for all, and congratulations on that seated dime!!!

Wow! Newer home on "old land". Love it

Heh I guess it sounds a little funny the way I said it. What he meant was that people had been living near that lot for hundreds of years, so even though there wasn't a house there until 1970, it doesn't mean that there weren't people on that land and using it. Likely it was part of the neighboring farm. :-)

Back
Top Bottom